Author Topic: Road Trip: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage  (Read 9346 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Road Trip: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage
« on: June 09, 2014, 06:28:47 am »

Pritch learns plenty about the Mirage on a college road trip.

Read More...

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
Re: Road Trip: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 09:33:46 am »
Well, I don't know of any kid that would lust after this, it's more like the practical choice foisted on them by their parents, but at least it means reliable freedom!

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 10:22:03 am »
I can see this car for $9998.   Piling all those options on it though and there's a huge list of cars I would choose first. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 02:29:41 pm »
Bigger question is how does it compare to the Micra?  They seem to compete more directly than any others, save for the Spark - but pricing-wise, it's dead on with the Micra.

I haven't driven either the Mirage or the Micra, but the Spark had enough power, surprisingly, and did return an unreal fuel economy figure.

...still, I felt so icky getting in/out of a micro-car, I'm not sure I would feel comfortable putting myself, my friends, or any potential children in it.  Even if IIHS did rate it pretty well (except for the small-front overlap), it just doesn't feel substantial enough and if you option it to $17,000 pre-tax, then why get this over a Civic/Corolla?  So much more car for so much less.

I agree, therefore, that the base models are the better deals (as is usually the case), but here it's really the only way to get this car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 05:28:51 pm »
i noticed recently that Hyundai has a slightly different method of competing with price against the Mirage and Micra...0% interest for 90 months with some of their cars (the Accent is 84 months)...Mitsubishi claims "$5000 in no charge extra features", but i can't see it on their site anywhere (where you get extra packages at no cost, or "$5000 in incentive")...i thought the $2500 discount (called Consumer Cash Discount) was only applicable to customers paying cash for the car (which would certainly eliminate most of those "low income" buyers, since they wouldn't have $10k++ sitting in their bank for a new car anyway), but it shows up on Mits' website when you build it...although, it wouldn't surprise me if that is an error on their website, as they show the "Effective APR" as 11.2%, which would make sense if you forego the $2500 cash discount and go with financing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 01:45:27 pm »
This car is nowhere in Canada. It doesn't have direct competitor in terms price for value...It is as much hypothetical here as Fiat 500 with ...two cylinder engine existing in Europe. Sorry Mitsu but last time you guys tried with real competitor in sub compact market. eagle Summit was decent one, better than Micra at that time. Now the roles are changed!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 01:50:10 pm »
i noticed recently that Hyundai has a slightly different method of competing with price against the Mirage and Micra...0% interest for 90 months with some of their cars (the Accent is 84 months)...Mitsubishi claims "$5000 in no charge extra features", but i can't see it on their site anywhere (where you get extra packages at no cost, or "$5000 in incentive")...i thought the $2500 discount (called Consumer Cash Discount) was only applicable to customers paying cash for the car (which would certainly eliminate most of those "low income" buyers, since they wouldn't have $10k++ sitting in their bank for a new car anyway), but it shows up on Mits' website when you build it...although, it wouldn't surprise me if that is an error on their website, as they show the "Effective APR" as 11.2%, which would make sense if you forego the $2500 cash discount and go with financing.

One of the rare times it would make sense to go to your bank at 6.9% and take advantage of that $2,500 off.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:25:38 pm »
Mitsubishi is dead in North America, just too stupid to fall down.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 03:56:12 pm »
Mitsubishi is dead in North America, just too stupid to fall down.

:iagree:
years of poor investment clearly lead them into this hole.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
They're the anti-Subaru.  Some great niche products like Subaru, but complete mis-steps in terms of marketing.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 02:15:13 am »
This car is nowhere in Canada. It doesn't have direct competitor in terms price for value...It is as much hypothetical here as Fiat 500 with ...two cylinder engine existing in Europe. Sorry Mitsu but last time you guys tried with real competitor in sub compact market. eagle Summit was decent one, better than Micra at that time. Now the roles are changed!

Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't the Summit a mini-minivan and an ancestor of the likes of the Mazda5/Kia Rondo?

I can't see it competing with the Micra of the same era....

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 10:15:16 am »

Pardon my ignorance, but wasn't the Summit a mini-minivan and an ancestor of the likes of the Mazda5/Kia Rondo?

No, this one is a compact SUV/crossover Mitsubishi Space Wagon. It has few other names around the globe.
The car I reference to is Mitsubishi Mirage overseas and Eagle Summit/Dodge (Plymouth) Colt in North America. You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Summit

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 10:22:19 am »

No, this one is a compact SUV/crossover Mitsubishi Space Wagon. It has few other names around the globe.
The car I reference to is Mitsubishi Mirage overseas and Eagle Summit/Dodge (Plymouth) Colt in North America. You can see it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Summit

The little  van was sold under the name Eagle Summit and Dodge Colt in Canada.   The cars were also sold under the same name. 

My dad had a 91 Colt van.   Great little van.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 01:22:15 pm »

The little  van was sold under the name Eagle Summit and Dodge Colt in Canada.   The cars were also sold under the same name. 

This vehicle on the picture here isn't the subject of my initial post. I don't even mention its name here. The point at the post was that at that time Mirage was better car and more sold than Micra and now the roles are swapped out.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 01:47:34 pm »

This vehicle on the picture here isn't the subject of my initial post. I don't even mention its name here. The point at the post was that at that time Mirage was better car and more sold than Micra and now the roles are swapped out.

Yes I know.  I was just mentioning that it was also called the Eagle Summit.  Which is why hemusbull brought it up. 

Northernridge

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 02:18:29 pm »
My business partner just had one of these for several days as a loaner while his Tacoma was being repaired after a collision. He said it was terrible and had numerous quality issues. The car was a loaner from a rental place and had 30k on it. Interestingly though he did say how much he liked having a very small car.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 02:22:45 pm »
My business partner just had one of these for several days as a loaner while his Tacoma was being repaired after a collision. He said it was terrible and had numerous quality issues. The car was a loaner from a rental place and had 30k on it. Interestingly though he did say how much he liked having a very small car.

There are tons of rental places around here offering Mirages. Incidentally, Dad took his 3-series into the dealer for its routine service, and rather than a courtesy car, they had a couple Mirages out front...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
3-series broken, given golf cart to drive to work LOL

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 03:35:32 pm »
I would sh!t a brick if I had to trade my $50,000+ vehicle in for a week and they 'graciously' offered me a Mirage.

...I think I'd be happier with an actual golf cart.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2014, 03:43:14 pm »
I would sh!t a brick if I had to trade my $50,000+ vehicle in for a week and they 'graciously' offered me a Mirage.

...I think I'd be happier with an actual golf cart.

Could be worse, one MB dealer in town had Smart Cars....now that I would be livid about.
Lighten up Francis.....