Author Topic: Insurance help please!  (Read 7534 times)

Offline napitcher

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nothing
Insurance help please!
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:50:39 pm »
hello everyone i am soon getting my license and i think i will be purchasing a 2007 Honda Civic Ex Coupe 5 speed standard. The insurance i will be getting on this is public liability,collision,and theft.  How much do you think my insurance would cost? If you need to know more about the car just ask!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Insurance help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 07:52:17 pm »
hello everyone i am soon getting my license and i think i will be purchasing a 2007 Honda Civic Ex Coupe 5 speed standard. The insurance i will be getting on this is public liability,collision,and theft.  How much do you think my insurance would cost? If you need to know more about the car just ask!

Lots is my guess.  Because it`s a coupe.  And because you`re a new driver.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 07:53:42 pm »
New driver, Civic coupe, yeah.....get prepped to be bent over my friend.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:28:34 pm »
I don't know how good/accurate it is, but typing in your particulars at www.kanetix.ca should at least give you an idea.

Offline napitcher

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nothing
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2015, 04:38:00 pm »
well what is a car that i could get less than 9000$ and have cheep-ish insurance?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2015, 04:48:56 pm »
well what is a car that i could get less than 9000$ and have cheep-ish insurance?

buick lesabre?

or is it lucerne now?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 04:53:53 pm »

buick lesabre?

or is it lucerne now?

^^ What he said....something that old people drive. Camry, Corolla, american iron.....anything 2 doors insurance companies consider as sport even if its an Altima.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »

My father-in-law's Sebring, do I have a deal for you  :rofl2:

Kidding aside, where are you and how old are you?
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2015, 05:43:36 pm »
Get a Toyota Corolla or Echo/Yaris.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 04:05:14 pm »

Offline Vince Pronesti

• Noob
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Ford Escape
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 04:37:18 pm »

Civics are very high to insure.  All depends on your postal address.  But if you're set on a Honda, try an Accord.  Don't be surprised to see rates between 4-7k annually

Offline Scarecrow

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +41/-17
  • Cars on the brain
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda6, Mazda MX-5 Miata (sold), Shelby 427S/C Cobra, Triumph Tiger 750
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2015, 04:57:30 pm »
Just phone a local insurance broker and ask.  See what you're looking at before you commit to buying a specific car.  The last thing you need to do is buy a car you can't afford to operate.

"Anyone who drives faster than you is a Maniac,
and anyone who drives slower is an Idiot." - George Carlin

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 05:13:45 pm »
Let's take a step back here and discuss what insurance is so that you can better understand the rates and what car to look for.

An insurance company will sell you a contract for a policy of insurance based on the 'risk' of certain perils occurring.  There are several factors involved, including (but not limited to, and in no particular order):
1. Driver's age
2. Where the car will be driven (i.e. where do you live?  will you be driving to work?)
3. How much the car will be driven annually
4. What type of car it is (sporty? More likely to be driven faster.  Old/weak?  The opposite)
5. What type of anti-theft technology does the car have (the more, the cheaper)
6. Will you have winter tires (some insurers are providing discounts)
7. Will your insurance be bundled with any other policies with the same company (home, auto, etc)
8. What coverage do you want?  Some (third party liability) are mandatory, some are optional (portions of the property damage coverage).  I'm biased but believe in more than the mandatory minimum.
9. Is the car new vs old (newer/more expensive cars will be more expensive to replace - so you have a higher premium for it).
10. Previous accidents/prior driving history - If you're 'just' getting your licence, you'll be viewed as a new driver and your rates will be higher, though you won't have any accidents presumably.

I'm not a broker so I can't give you an accurate 'estimate', but as others have stated, your chosen vehicle will not be the cheapest to insure - with that being said, it'll be a few hundred more per year over something else you don't want to drive.

With that being said, I always recommend NOT buying ANY car unless you absolutely need one.  You sound young and excited to get your licence, but you shouldn't get a car "just because".  $9,000 to a young'n is a lot of money - save it up or use it somewhere else.  Cars are money pits.  Do you have $3,000-4,000 more per year for insurance, gas, maintenance?

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 07:21:07 pm »
With that being said, I always recommend NOT buying ANY car unless you absolutely need one. 

Especially if you can borrow mom's RX300 and dad's Corolla and tell everyone they are YOUR cars?   ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:29 pm »
With that being said, I always recommend NOT buying ANY car unless you absolutely need one. 

Especially if you can borrow mom's RX3400h and dad's Corolla and tell everyone they are YOUR cars?   ;D
Get it right, Brigitte!  :P