Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313995 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #680 on: May 05, 2015, 11:03:42 am »
Fair enough. The one small issue with cellphones is that you don't have an address associated with it, nor do they geo-locate in Canada (as far as I know).

So if you have an emergency and the line gets cut they can't really send someone to you. Of course it'd be very rare that this is actually an issue.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #681 on: May 05, 2015, 11:06:17 am »
Rare being the choice word here. My home power would have to be out, my small PC UPS not functioning and the inability for me not to voice my location via cell phone. Once again extremely rare.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 05, 2015, 11:08:18 am »
So yoy have a UPS. That makes it quite different.

I say this, but of course I only have a cellphone  :-X

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #683 on: May 05, 2015, 11:11:17 am »
Fair enough. The one small issue with cellphones is that you don't have an address associated with it, nor do they geo-locate in Canada (as far as I know).

So if you have an emergency and the line gets cut they can't really send someone to you. Of course it'd be very rare that this is actually an issue.

I just took a first aid course and the EMS guy who taught it said they could use your cell phone to get your location within a few meters. And he said that if the connection is cut it doesn't matter - once you make the call and initial contact, they're going to send someone regardless.

Just what one guy said. I presume it's true, but don't know for sure.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #684 on: May 05, 2015, 11:16:34 am »

I just took a first aid course and the EMS guy who taught it said they could use your cell phone to get your location within a few meters. And he said that if the connection is cut it doesn't matter - once you make the call and initial contact, they're going to send someone regardless.

General vicinity could be established via Cell tower triangulation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #685 on: May 05, 2015, 12:06:34 pm »

General vicinity could be established via Cell tower triangulation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking

Unless you're not in an area they can triangulate. 
A few weeks ago local police were looking or a missing woman, they gave a fairly large circle that her cell phone was in, no triangulation.  It was also just north of the 401 near Kingston, so nowhere near the boonies.
Mr Pickypants

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 05, 2015, 12:07:30 pm »
I know the tech is there, I don't think it's being used though.

http://www.gogeomatics.ca/magazine/relying-on-technology-for-ems-in-canada-pros-and-cons.htm#

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #687 on: May 05, 2015, 06:09:45 pm »
Having "the manly procedure" on Thursday morning.  Recovery is 2-3 days.  First weekend in a month where I can finally wash the car, detail inside and out, do a dump run, clean the windows, cut the grass.  And it's supposed to be sunny and 27C.  But nooo, I have to take it easy, and relax.   :(  And I miss a softball game. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:59 pm »
Mystery oil leak.  :'(

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #689 on: May 05, 2015, 08:17:06 pm »
Having "the manly procedure" on Thursday morning.  Recovery is 2-3 days.  First weekend in a month where I can finally wash the car, detail inside and out, do a dump run, clean the windows, cut the grass.  And it's supposed to be sunny and 27C.  But nooo, I have to take it easy, and relax.   :(  And I miss a softball game.

Some words of advice, as I recently had my "manly procedure":  Follow your doctors advice about rest regardless how good you feel.  Seems obvious, right?  :)

I felt great the next day.  Went to the mall, worked on the basement wiring, etc. By day 4 I could barely walk.  It just hit all of a sudden and I paid the price  :fall: :surrend:
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: May 05, 2015, 08:29:26 pm »

Some words of advice, as I recently had my "manly procedure":  Follow your doctors advice about rest regardless how good you feel.  Seems obvious, right?  :)

I felt great the next day.  Went to the mall, worked on the basement wiring, etc. By day 4 I could barely walk.  It just hit all of a sudden and I paid the price  :fall: :surrend:

What's the "manly procedure"??  Penile extension?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #691 on: May 05, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »
Calling any bird experts.  WTH is this noisy thing?
The last week or so this bird has been hanging around - the first few days it chirped like this all day... and all night long.
Got up for a 3am pee the other night,  and yep... still squawking out there. Now it comes and goes, but still is noisiest at night.
First I thought maybe frogs.. but it moves around from tree to tree.  Read about birds that are noisy at night & saw mockingbird.. but this one doesn't behave like one.

First clip in this video was last night around 11pm, second part was about a half hour ago tonight.

Never heard anything like this around here before.  Any ideas?

https://youtu.be/Nn1oMuXWY9g

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: May 05, 2015, 09:33:55 pm »

Yes, that is correct. :P

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #693 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:24 pm »

Seems extreme to me. Why not just buy a Corvette? ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: May 05, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »

Seems extreme to me. Why not just buy a Corvette? ???

Because then you need to wear a mullet.  And that's a bridge too far.   ;D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #695 on: May 05, 2015, 09:43:06 pm »
Corvettes don't work anymore - people just think you're an enthusiast that appreciates massive performance at a reasonable price.  The compensation machine now is a giant lifted truck.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: May 05, 2015, 09:46:06 pm »
Corvettes don't work anymore - people just think you're an enthusiast that appreciates massive performance at a reasonable price.  The compensation machine now is a giant lifted truck.

That's Alberta.  In Ontario, a lifted truck is for white trash.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: May 05, 2015, 09:47:24 pm »
Ya beat me to it John.  Can't forget the truck balls. 

Actually haven't seen a truck with those for a while.  Mind you it's been a few months since I've been to Alberta.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 09:49:36 pm by bridgecity »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #698 on: May 05, 2015, 10:11:53 pm »
 :rofl2:

Saw a pair last week in the OS.  Didn't get a look at the driver.  Truck was BLACK and it wasn't new.  :rofl2:

No need to go to rural Alberta to see Alberta.  If your white, homophobic et al, stunned, Harponi-Hudak-Ford supporter, Grey/Bruce Counties in ON is just RIGHT.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #699 on: May 05, 2015, 11:23:51 pm »

I intend to take it easy.  I have been busy past three weekends with family visits, and having the kids by myself.  I intend to hibernate in the basement guest room.  Dust off the PS3, have some movies and games on standby.  My wife (the nurse) is home next 4 days as well to keep the kids out of my hair.  She will probably take off on Sunday for Mothers Day, fine by me...

I may not to go outside as much and do the fun things, but I plan to rest, and enjoy the downtime...