Author Topic: Rental car thread  (Read 345029 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Corolla LE Rental
« Reply #660 on: July 23, 2015, 11:27:38 pm »

Interesting stuff.  I, for one, would be happy to learn of your further thoughts on the Corolla.  We know the market has evolved when a rental Corolla attracts this kind of commentary from someone with unquestionable car guy credentials.

I'll update my thoughts further for you. In no particular order..maybe even rambling a bit.   ;D

My fuel mileage over 4 days has now creeped up to 5.2L/100km in a mix of 80/20 hwy/city.  A/C has been running constantly. Max speed is usually 90km/h on my commute.  On winter tires.  So very impressive.  It has an "eco" economy bar thing similar to a hybrid so you can drive it a bit more economically.  The more throttle you apply, the further it starts to go out of the economy graph.  I have been keeping it within those bars.  There's also a glowing green ECO light in the tach area to let you know you're driving conservatively.  Despite keeping the car in the "eco" area, to date I haven't held up traffic.  The CVT is smooth as silk.  And works.  The RPMs are shockingly low at various speeds.  At 60km/h, it's barely over 1000RPM and the instant L/100km shows the car in the high 3s.  If the long term reliability of the CVT holds up, Toyota has a winning tranny here.  The black surround near the radio isn't black...it has flecks of metallic in it that show up in the sunlight.  Not sure it needed those..but a small detail I noticed.  The steering has pretty good feel.  Not sportscar good...but definitely on the higher end of what's expected of an econobox.

The headlights are very bright (HID) and the cut-off line is among the crispest I have seen.  Which makes the high beams seem weak and bordering on useless.  The HID seems to wash it out.  I'd put in some Silvestar Ultras and see if that improved things if this was my car.  The speedo/tach/gauges glow a nice (soothing?) blue color at night.  The steering wheel feels really nice in hand...the proportions are quite good.

I continue to be impressed with the ease of use and accuracy of the infotainment system.  My phone has not failed to link a single time.  Within 5 seconds of starting the car, the phone is linked.  It reads text messages correctly and even turns short forms into regular spoken works.  For example, in one of my texts, the sender said "NP" at the start of his sentence and the infotainment system correctly read out "No problem".  I wasn't expecting that.  My streaming music sounds wonderful.  You can flip through songs/stations easily with the steering wheel controls.  As I said earlier, I'm impressed with the sound quality no doubt improved by the extremely quiet, solidness of the cabin.  The reverse camera works as expected and a red horizontal bar shows where the bumper is.  Just back up until the red bar is near a wall..and you are cozied right up to where you need to be.

The handling surprises too because generally Corollas were awful.  This car is stable and you can easily zoom through corners much faster than you'd expect.  This car has shattered any preconception of Corolla handling.  While I won't say it's lively or fun (in a sportcar way)...it's very good...and fun for econoboxes...it definitely falls to the side of competent rather than adequate or acceptable.  There's a few corners I'm familiar with in my 911 and for fun I went through them in the Corolla faster than I expected.  No fuss.

The other thing, and I think this is a good thing, is you don't really need to think about much.  Just get in an drive.  This Corolla does everything I need it to do for my commute.  I can see why people love these things.  It's just so easy.  Everything is easy about it.  Easy to drive, easy on the eyes (gauges), easy on the ears, easy at the fuel pump and easy on the wallet in general.

This is about as good as basic transportation gets...unless one wants higher performance in both engine and handling.  But for most people and most families...this Corolla is tough to beat.

Reverse Camera backing up to a wall:

ECO indicator:

Dash at night:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 11:44:13 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Rental car thread
« Reply #661 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:30 pm »
A couple more pics:

This is the dash at 90km/h.  Please note how low the rpms are turning. 1500rpm.  Idle is about 900.  Engine is barely working.  This likely corresponds to the great fuel economy I've been getting from this CVT equipped car. Also note the instant fuel economy.  Not sure how accurate this is.

HID lights:

HID lights + High Beams

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #662 on: July 24, 2015, 08:20:48 pm »
I thought the new Corollas had LED lights not HID.   Yep, I just looked on Toyota.ca  on all models of Corolla.    I presume that both the low and high beams are LED as it doesn't say they are different.
Interesting but I suspect that once the engineering is done that LEDs would be cheaper than HID.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #663 on: July 24, 2015, 10:00:28 pm »
I really like the Gen 11 'Rolla.  Would replace ours with it a nanosecond if we had to.  The LE Eco is amazing in terms of economy.  We have friends with one and they rarely break out of the 4's on highway trips.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: July 25, 2015, 03:55:47 am »
I thought the new Corollas had LED lights not HID.   Yep, I just looked on Toyota.ca  on all models of Corolla.    I presume that both the low and high beams are LED as it doesn't say they are different.
Interesting but I suspect that once the engineering is done that LEDs would be cheaper than HID.
No...I suspect they are halogen. They look yellow compared to the low beams.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #665 on: July 25, 2015, 10:31:45 am »

High beams are halogen, low beams are LED :)
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #666 on: July 25, 2015, 11:24:03 am »

High beams are halogen, low beams are LED :)

I think that is weird. All the new Corollas I have seen have had the LED lights on in daylight, I have not seen any with a dim Halogen as DRL. ( My 2000 A4 had HID lows, Halogen Highs and used the foglights as DRLs).  I would have thought it would be easier and no more expensive to just have an all LED set up  and turn on fewer LEDS for DRLs...whatever, they do what they do within the regulations and the pricing..

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: July 28, 2015, 11:24:57 pm »
Since I got the 911 back, my rental with the Corolla has come to an end.  And I'm impressed by the car.  Very impressed.  It's just so easy to live with.  No fuss about anything.  Get on with its business.

All told I drove 721kms...on a single tank.  Fuel economy for the week was 5.4L/100km.  Incredible!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: July 29, 2015, 07:52:52 pm »
I was impressed by your reviews, and the details in them as well. No question that Toyota wasn't content to have stood still in last place in the compact comparison wars.

The only thing that stopped me cold was " easily zoom through corners much faster than you'd expect ". On snow tires. In summer. From a boosted turbo Supra, 911 etc. driver.  :rofl: However as expectations were probably low, nothing wrong with that.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #669 on: August 20, 2015, 09:58:21 am »
Picked up a 2015 Sonata for this weekend's road trip.  Full report to follow.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +2/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Lexus ES350
« Reply #670 on: October 11, 2015, 01:44:39 pm »
Recently rented a Santa Fe 2.4 AWD. It rides stiff but not punishing, nice turning radius, loaded with lots of features. Drives real nice on the highway, passes nicely. Only thing is I wish Hyundai would make a back up camera available on lower end models. If Honda can do it on the base model CRV, why can't they? Its mega helpful! Also a convex spotter mirror would be nice too! The rear park assist helped for now. Also, is it just me or the acceleration is really lazy between 1st and 2nd? :-/

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #671 on: October 12, 2015, 07:39:27 am »
I chose a Jeep Cherokee last week, top-spec trip with AWD. Not a bad choice, but the base 2,4 4-cyl is pointless because it ends up working hard all the time so it's just as thirsty as the 6-cyl. Consumption was 10 l/100km under most circumstances, and that lump of coal called an engine makes very little torque. Stick with the V6 or diesel motors. It is not remarkable enough to write a "full" review in the Member test drives sub-forum, but will make a few points worth noting.

Interior: This was the most notable surprise. In top-spec, the leather seats are comfortable for long drives and supportive, with 4-way adjustable lumbar support. The leather is of nice quality and the seat heating works quickly. For the most part, controls feel substantial and the Touchscreen is quick and responsive. Major demerits are the lack of a CD player (!) and some build-quality issues involving glovebox rattling and the window switch that shifted around a bit. The full-colour board computer is a good plus, if providing a bit too much information.

Drive: For 90% of people, the Ford Kuga/Escape is the best-in-class. The Cherokee drives surprisingly well if you view it from the off-road perspective. I took it on some difficult roads in the mountains and while it doesn
t handle great from an on-road, car-based perspective, it is nonethless competent and secure in the toughest corners. To compensate, it has superior off-road capability and good ground clearance. I deliberately backed it into a ditch while doing a 3-point turn on a forest service road and it clawed out with no drama.

I think this is probably 3rd in its class, with the Ford Kuga/Escape being the best choice for most people. However, if you live in say, the backwoods where your roads and driveway are under 20cm of snow for 6 months and need a truck-ish SUV, this is the one to get. Just skip the 4-cyl petrol.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #672 on: October 12, 2015, 10:23:17 am »
We had a Volvo S60 FWD with the turbo 4 for rental while in Ottawa this past week-end. Very nice car. I believe it was a full load model except for the HID light package. The 8 speed was very smooth, but I didn't like how it re-engage after releasing the brake from a full stop. To me it felt like a dual clutch transmission at that point. Comfortable seats and lightning quick seat heater. Very quiet cabin and no squeaks or rattles were heard. Didn't care were the blind spot indicators were placed in the 'A' pillar. I prefer them in the mirror. It was also equipped with ESS[engine start stop]. I have to say I didn't really like it and found myself turning it off upon start up of the car. My '14 Cherokee does not have ESS, but the '15 does with the V6. Lots of members on the Cherokee forum do not like ESS and now I can see why. The fuel economy reading on the dash was 11.1km/100 is actually worse then my V6 4X4 Cherokee. Anyone know if this is a carry over eco boost engine? Over all very nice and enjoyable drive and would for sure look at it if I was in the market for a sedan. But if was nice to get back into the Cherokee last night.
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Rental car thread
« Reply #673 on: October 12, 2015, 10:37:30 am »

We had a Volvo S60 FWD with the turbo 4 for rental while in Ottawa this past week-end. Very nice car. I believe it was a full load model except for the HID light package. The 8 speed was very smooth, but I didn't like how it re-engage after releasing the brake from a full stop. To me it felt like a dual clutch transmission at that point. Comfortable seats and lightning quick seat heater. Very quiet cabin and no squeaks or rattles were heard. Didn't care were the blind spot indicators were placed in the 'A' pillar. I prefer them in the mirror. It was also equipped with ESS[engine start stop]. I have to say I didn't really like it and found myself turning it off upon start up of the car. My '14 Cherokee does not have ESS, but the '15 does with the V6. Lots of members on the Cherokee forum do not like ESS and now I can see why. The fuel economy reading on the dash was 11.1km/100 is actually worse then my V6 4X4 Cherokee. Anyone know if this is a carry over eco boost engine? Over all very nice and enjoyable drive and would for sure look at it if I was in the market for a sedan. But if was nice to get back into the Cherokee last night.

Definitely not an Ecoboost....I had an S60 e-drive for two weeks this part September, while on vacation in Montreal.

Overall thoughts were negative, so I decided to be politically correct and not post anything here.

IMHO the engine needs at least another 40hp as the car felt underpowered in several situations. ESS didn't bother me at all...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: October 17, 2015, 01:06:00 pm »

Which company did you rent the Volvo from?

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #675 on: October 18, 2015, 01:05:21 am »

Hertz. It was a $10 a day upgrade from the expedia mid size rate.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +102/-402
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '24 Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve
« Reply #676 on: October 18, 2015, 09:50:25 am »

Just an FYI, Enterprise has some S60s as well.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 18, 2015, 12:22:43 pm »
Thanks guys for the answer. I had no idea Ecars had some Volvos even, I know they have some Infiniti Q50 sedans though!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #678 on: October 18, 2015, 12:55:23 pm »

I'm renting with Hertz in Phoenix.  I'll see if I can get the upgrade.

Offline MD1987

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 18, 2015, 01:04:13 pm »

I'm renting with Hertz in Phoenix.  I'll see if I can get the upgrade.

I just checked what cars are usually available at PHX Hertz. No Volvos but they got Escalades, Navigators, ATS, Q50, CLA45 AMG, C63 AMG, GLK350 and the S550!!!