Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ; Day 1  (Read 37520 times)

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +60/-374
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2000 Honda Insight
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2015, 10:29:01 am »
As we all know and stated over and over, those sales numbers are for the Classic.

This week KBB has the 2015 "Impala" as low demand as noted above.  But for today, and your piece of mind, we will live in the land of pretend.

So we're joining you in the land you've lived in for years, huh?
"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive." - Sir William Lyons

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2015, 03:30:56 pm »
As we all know and stated over and over, those sales numbers are for the Classic.

This week KBB has the 2015 "Impala" as low demand as noted above.  But for today, and your piece of mind, we will live in the land of pretend.

So we're joining you in the land you've lived in for years, huh?

You could at least speak Canadian on a Canadian based forum .... eh?   :)

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2015, 04:45:28 pm »
Even the reviewers on here complain about the gutless Malibu.

that is not a complaint I've heard about the Malibu. I've driven the 2.0T and 2.5. 2.0t is super-duper power wise, and i even like the smoothness and sufficient power of the 2.5...

Did you just use "super-duper" in a sentence?! That's awesome!

For near 50k I'll get the "base" SHO thanks. My neighbour has one of these and while I really like the front end and even the sides I feel the rear is really lacking the same level of design. Interior is very nice on these though.

Anyone else getting tired of all these bloody driving aids? Cross-traffic, auto braking, etc etc. Let ME drive the damn car and leave that junk out of it and give me a discount!

I agree with you on both fronts. One, yeah, the SHO would be, for me, a much better suited ride. Two, yeah, if I get all that nanny crap taken off, can I have a few grand back....especially touchscreen anything...

I like the exterior design of the new Impala very much but that is about it. I would take a Charger which you can have AWD if you stick with the V6 in a heart beat. Much better driving dynamics (sorry Erik) than the Impala. I was very disappointed by SHO which I found boring/cumbersome to drive despite the power, so much so that I ended up buying the Fusion Sport instead, the hidden gem in Ford's lineup at that time.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2015, 07:03:45 pm »
If there was ever to be a "most improved" award, I think the Impala should get it.  It looks incredible, especially at night with the LEDs and HIDs stating its presence.  Tons of interior space remains, but it now looks great and offers a proper feature list.  While $46k is a little steep, all cars are getting ridiculous in pricing and at least this one will likely be moved with some decent cash on the hood.

James - nice pictures - you can really see the attention to detail, especially in the rear (the 12V plug and little cubby?).  I also like the 60/40 split trunk view!

If I need more space, I'm likely to flock to the CUVs for the ground clearance, AWD (more-so), and ease of manoeuvrability.  However, between this and the Taurus (yeah, I know I just invited Tauri to the party), large sedans really aren't so bad anymore - to the contrary, they're really useful. If only they had AWD...

Good job, GM!

Edit: OH YEAH, there's the Avalon, too!  Shows how memorable this class of vehicle really is...

Well there is the Lacrosse as an option...for AWD

That's the best looking one of the class imo.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #84 on: January 24, 2015, 07:47:54 pm »
Artic, is there any car that you actually like?  All I ever see is how every single car ever reviewed is a dud.  Especially if it's a Nissan or a Chevrolet...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #85 on: January 24, 2015, 09:18:47 pm »
Artic, is there any car that you actually like?  All I ever see is how every single car ever reviewed is a dud.  Especially if it's a Nissan or a Chevrolet...

We sell Nissan, so my opinion is a bit tainted because they offer very poor Distribution support in all areas.  Their low margin vehicles do well and their high margins vehicles NOT.  The early CVTs, IMO, are better than the newer ones because currently they are trying to squeeze the mpg gains out of the tranny alone.

As for Chevy.  Well the 1/2 tons are nice and the Suburban is top choice.  But their cars always miss the mark.  From the Malibu with the mild hybrid (a technical abomination) to the stop/start thing.   ::)   You already know my opinion on the new Impala.  Is it a discount car or a upscale car?  Is it a Camry et al fighter with choice of 4 or 6 cylinder  ::)   Something for everyone and car for no one.

Naturally the Vette is an outlier, and we'll see if they can get it together on the Camaro.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #86 on: January 24, 2015, 09:45:58 pm »
AS, have you hear much about the Cummins engine they are going to use in the pick ups

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2015, 10:49:06 pm »
They tell you nothing.  What service equipment is required and how much?  What are the training costs?   These new gen clean diesels are nothing but technical headaches.   

Like the Leaf  .... $40K in equipment to sell 2 units a year.   :P

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2015, 10:53:48 am »

that is not a complaint I've heard about the Malibu. I've driven the 2.0T and 2.5. 2.0t is super-duper power wise, and i even like the smoothness and sufficient power of the 2.5...

For near 50k I'll get the "base" SHO thanks. My neighbour has one of these and while I really like the front end and even the sides I feel the rear is really lacking the same level of design. Interior is very nice on these though.

Anyone else getting tired of all these bloody driving aids? Cross-traffic, auto braking, etc etc. Let ME drive the damn car and leave that junk out of it and give me a discount!

I agree with you on both fronts. One, yeah, the SHO would be, for me, a much better suited ride. Two, yeah, if I get all that nanny crap taken off, can I have a few grand back....especially touchscreen anything...

I like the exterior design of the new Impala very much but that is about it. I would take a Charger which you can have AWD if you stick with the V6 in a heart beat. Much better driving dynamics (sorry Erik) than the Impala. I was very disappointed by SHO which I found boring/cumbersome to drive despite the power, so much so that I ended up buying the Fusion Sport instead, the hidden gem in Ford's lineup at that time.

As about the only Chrysler fan in this group, I hate to disagree with you. However, the Impala is a much better handling car then the Charger. Actually, it is just a much better car all around. As much as I loved my 300C, the big Chryslers are really starting to show their age.

I do agree with you on the Taurus. An incredibly disappointing car that really lives up to it's lowest in the class Consumer Reports rating. The only thing it really does well is getting through a serious snowstorm. Lots of weight and AWD make for incredibly stress free drives. I will never understand how they made a car so huge on the outside, so incredibly small on the inside.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:59:45 am by Erik »

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2015, 12:54:09 pm »
I do agree with you on the Taurus. An incredibly disappointing car that really lives up to it's lowest in the class Consumer Reports rating. The only thing it really does well is getting through a serious snowstorm. Lots of weight and AWD make for incredibly stress free drives. I will never understand how they made a car so huge on the outside, so incredibly small on the inside.

The Taurus dash with that massive center console really impede on the personal space of the front occupants. I can't believe that Ford has never addressed that issue.

The Fusion Sport is also AWD and amazing in the snow. So much so that I am thinking about keeping it as a winter car and get a"summer " car...

Back to the Impala, as the price get close (or above) $50k I would start looking at the XTS and see if a GM special offer can make it a viable alternative to the Impala LTZ.

Offline Erik

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2015, 01:02:06 pm »

The Taurus dash with that massive center console really impede on the personal space of the front occupants. I can't believe that Ford has never addressed that issue.

The Fusion Sport is also AWD and amazing in the snow. So much so that I am thinking about keeping it as a winter car and get a"summer " car...

Back to the Impala, as the price get close (or above) $50k I would start looking at the XTS and see if a GM special offer can make it a viable alternative to the Impala LTZ.

That centre console is indeed a design disaster. At least for 13.5 they added a little bit of padding to it. Before all we got was hard plastic against the knees.

I like the Fusion, but it's just a bit small for me. Nice cars.

Cept that GM isn't offering huge money off their cars anymore. You might talk them a couple of thousand down. They are matching the market with cheaper financing, but that's it. Not even any 0% on the longer terms on the Impala.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2015, 01:20:26 pm »
You are making a good point: GM is now adjusting their production according to their inventory levels so it does not offer the programs it used too. But you never know: some habits are hard to break...

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #92 on: January 25, 2015, 01:31:07 pm »

As about the only Chrysler fan in this group

:hello:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »

Where does the LaCrosse fit into this scheme?  It seems that GM basically has 3 versions of the same platform, one for Chevy/Buick/Caddy.  Obviously there are some aesthetic / powertrain / trim differences between them, but are they signficant enough to really differentiate these cars? (I've never driven any of them)

Unfortanately for GM it's a dwindling market for large sedans (especially in Canada).  I guess they have a flavour for everyone, but that pie is getting sliced awfully thin.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Chevrolet Impala LTZ; Day 1
« Reply #94 on: January 25, 2015, 03:58:26 pm »

The SHO is a sleeper and feels substantial...at least in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 25, 2015, 05:22:02 pm »
Yes it is but I had more fun driving a Flex than the SHO. The real sleeper is the Flex Ecoboost.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2015, 08:45:35 am »
you see, I know the Impala is a full-size sedan and I expected a large trunk. But when you can easily stuff a full-size snow shovel into the trunk without even trying, well that impresses you.
Pictures or it didn't happen ;D

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2015, 02:56:42 pm »
These GM threads are always FANTASTIC.

Perhaps these TOADS at GM should stop living in the past and instead look forward  Consequently, why hang onto old name plates ???

The Malibu was always a horrible piece of junk, so why burden the newest one with the same loser name  :P  Just seems senseless.

Speaking of SENSELESS; what company would launch a "brand new" vehicle with the same name as the old one which will still be production for years  ???

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2015, 03:44:18 pm »
These GM threads are always FANTASTIC.

Perhaps these TOADS at GM should stop living in the past and instead look forward  Consequently, why hang onto old name plates ???

The Malibu was always a horrible piece of junk, so why burden the newest one with the same loser name  :P  Just seems senseless.

Speaking of SENSELESS; what company would launch a "brand new" vehicle with the same name as the old one which will still be production for years  ???

A company that has a clue about marketing? A company that recognizes just how hard it is to establish a new nameplate? Ask Scion marketing how well they're doing with that money pit.

For a lot of people, Malibu and Impala are well regarded. Certainly well recognized.

I wouldn't expect a Toyota fanboi to get it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2015, 03:54:20 pm »
For a lot of people, Malibu and Impala are well regarded. Certainly well recognized.

But remain year after year in the sales toilet.  ::)

Ask Scion marketing how well they're doing with that money pit.

What money pit would that be?    Lets see the chart.  :)

Just for sh*ts and giggles:

Toyota’s net income also led the industry for the quarter. Its profit was about 30 percent higher than Volkswagen’s 3.19 billion euros ($4.4 billion), and surpassed the combined earnings of General Motors, Ford Motor Co., Nissan Motor Co. and Honda Motor Co.

:flowers:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140805/OEM/140809916/toyota-profit-surges-on-u.s.-suv-demand