Author Topic: Help! Ran a tire flat and need advice on what to replace it with  (Read 1071 times)

Offline f0wlerr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi A4
So I have a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3s in 235/45/17. One of the tires was run flat and can't be repaired. I guess this size of tire has been discontinued by Michelin, and I haven't been able to track one down anywhere online (a few listings on ebay, no longer in stock. Also listed on ImageInMotion but they're out too).

Does anyone have any idea if there is a similar winter tire out there that I can use as a replacement instead?

If it's important, I drive a 2005 Audi A4 2.0T (CVT transmission). Someone had mentioned to me that the tire needs to be of similar traction or else the transmission might be at risk? How much stock should I put into this claim? Basically I'm trying to avoid having to buy 4 new winter tires. I'm not too optimistic but figured I'd give it a shot...

Thanks for the help!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Ran a tire flat and need advice on what to replace it with
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:35:37 am »
Call Tirerack.  They should be able to offer you advice...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 05:01:52 am »
Isn't the CVT equipped A4 a FWD car? IIRC the CVT was not compatible with Quattro for some reason.
If so at least it could be only two tires to replace.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline f0wlerr

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Audi A4
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:43 pm »
tpl, yes it's front wheel drive. Didn't even think of that. I guess the best bet here would be to just replace 2 of them. Thanks for the help.