Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan  (Read 8551 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:31:07 am »

What exactly were they thinking with that nose job?
Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Toyota Yaris Sedan
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 06:54:44 am »
Article of the Year!

Offline agroal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:52:18 am »
Finally Toyota came to their senses and ditched the idiotic centrally located instruments. An answer to a question nobody asked. Oh? It's a Mazda? Never mind.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 09:35:24 am »
Finally Toyota came to their senses and ditched the idiotic centrally located instruments. An answer to a question nobody asked. Oh? It's a Mazda? Never mind.

actually Toyota ditched that central instrument location back in 2012/13 on this model.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 09:49:56 am »
The Corolla LE makes a lot more sense for about the same money.  It's much roomier, has a more functional and attractive interior and the face isn't quite as homely.  Then there's the perceived quality of an actual Toyota.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 10:04:30 am »
nope...

wow are they actually trying to discourage you from buying it? Penalty box if I ever saw one.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 10:41:18 am »
it's going to be tough for a Toyota salesman saying that Toyota's are better than a Mazda, otherwise they are running down their own product  ;D

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 10:44:07 am »

Read More...

More plankton.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 10:48:59 am »
what is the obsession with Mazda not including a front armrest/storage on a premium version or even the base, they did the same thing on the CX-3.  If they need to save dollars, drop something that is less useful to make up the difference.  ??? ???

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 11:13:13 am »
Oh? It's a Mazda? Never mind.

The fact that it is a Mazda is what makes it interesting. The Yaris is a snoozefest.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:09 am »

Read More...

More plankton.

me and 345 Trillion Billion PANKTII agree..............................# Microcellular LIVES MATTER :'(
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline Qship

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 16 Rogue SV, 07 Accent GLS(Wifey's commuter), 03 Sentra GXE 5 speed(my commuter), 14 Triumph Thunderbird LT
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 11:45:10 am »
Toyo Observe GSi-5 are winter tires, not all seasons, so expect reduced fuel economy and performance than a good all season. Never seen a all season tire with studless on the sidewall. That should have been a dead give away.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:13 am »
I much prefer the happy face of the old Mazda2 over this depressing sulky face.  While this is still likely more fun to drive then a Corolla I would buy a base Mazda3 over this. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »
Article of the Year!
... What year is that?  2003?

The writing is great, no question, and I'm fully in support of the author, but look at what's highlighted:

The interior of the base Yaris Sedan ($16,995 man; $18,200 auto) includes some things you might not expect for that kind of money: air conditioning, voice-activated Bluetooth telephone, height-adjustable driver’s seat, tilt and telescopic steering wheel with audio controls and cruise controls, keyless entry and pushbutton ignition, power windows, power mirrors, variable intermittent wipers and 60/40 split folding rear seatbacks.
Other than keyless entry, those are all features that one would expect in a shitbox... But this shitbox tops $20k with nothing but am automatic tranny and destination.  ... Or have we forgotten how much money $20,000 is?

I'm not suggesting the pricing is off. Or even that more content should be included... But I wouldn't highlight that as a screaming deal, either.

Offline PJ

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +64/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 12:14:31 pm »
Article of the Year!

The writing is great, no question, and I'm fully in support of the author, but look at what's highlighted:

The interior of the base Yaris Sedan ($16,995 man; $18,200 auto) includes some things you might not expect for that kind of money: air conditioning, voice-activated Bluetooth telephone, height-adjustable driver’s seat, tilt and telescopic steering wheel with audio controls and cruise controls, keyless entry and pushbutton ignition, power windows, power mirrors, variable intermittent wipers and 60/40 split folding rear seatbacks.
Other than keyless entry, those are all features that one would expect in a shitbox... But this shitbox tops $20k with nothing but am automatic tranny and destination.  ... Or have we forgotten how much money $20,000 is?

I'm not suggesting the pricing is off. Or even that more content should be included... But I wouldn't highlight that as a screaming deal, either.

What would a Corolla cost with the same equipment?   I don't think the base model is as well equipped and its prices climb fast as you go up the model range.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 12:42:43 pm »
Article of the Year!

What would a Corolla cost with the same equipment?   I don't think the base model is as well equipped and its prices climb fast as you go up the model range.

to get push-button ignition in the Corolla (but it would also be a smart key and lots of other stuff which the Yaris doesn't have) you have to get the tech pak on the S model which is $24,680 + frt

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »
Article of the Year!

to get push-button ignition in the Corolla (but it would also be a smart key and lots of other stuff which the Yaris doesn't have) you have to get the tech pak on the S model which is $24,680 + frt
or, keeping it in the same class, the Kia Rio sedan is also very well equipped in the EX and SX trims too.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 03:16:30 pm »
Article of the Year!

or, keeping it in the same class, the Kia Rio sedan is also very well equipped in the EX and SX trims too.

buying used has never looked so good

you can buy a LOT of car for $25k, or $20k and save $5k for repairs

this much money for econo-boxes, just to have a new car, is beyond me. I know people like their warranties, but I dont see their worth honestly when the new car costs this much for so little

but I know I am weird with my car philosophy, so other may disagree...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2016, 06:03:48 pm »
buying used has never looked so good

you can buy a LOT of car for $25k, or $20k and save $5k for repairs

this much money for econo-boxes, just to have a new car, is beyond me. I know people like their warranties, but I dont see their worth honestly when the new car costs this much for so little

but I know I am weird with my car philosophy, so other may disagree...
that depends on each person's wants/needs/etc.

while you can save $5k and buy something 2-3 years old, there are other factors to think about...while paying cash may provide a genuine $5k in savings, perhaps there are also incentives for paying cash on a new model...alternatively, if you needed payments, you might be able to get 0% interest on the new car, whereas the used one might have a rate of 5-8%, meaning the interest costs will likely consume most of that initial cost savings...there is also the warranty provided on a new vehicle...the new car might also have a lower insurance premium, the new car can have a depreciation waiver (for 5 years, for example) in case something happens to it...there are far more things to consider than just the initial savings on the vehicle...what works for you, may not work for everyone.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 06:53:27 pm »
Toyota Yaris get rid of centre cluster in 2012 and now they ditched four speed auto! Progress for idiots...At least we don't know what Europeans offer in this class of cars...