Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Best Winter Highway Cars  (Read 17731 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Northern Exposure: Best Winter Highway Cars
« on: February 05, 2013, 06:30:55 am »

Some notes on some noteworthy highway snowstorm cars.

Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Northern Exposure: Best Winter Highway Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 08:51:48 am »
Good review on an eclectic mix of vehicles. Would like to have seen the 911 in it's AWD form to see how it compares it's RWD version on heavy snow and ice, but I guess that can be another test.

Looks like the AWD on the S60 is better than expected.

I would prefer the Chrysler 300 Glacier Edition with AWD over the RWD Charger.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:42:04 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:55:02 am »
"A nicely calibrated steering system can make a car feel ‘locked-on’ and surefooted on the slippery stuff."

So very true.  But how many people know this?  Yet many automakers have overboosted steering with little road feel, and less handling.  This can make it scary to drive in winter.

The TL SH-AWD is one of my favourites, since you can get it with a 6 speed manual.  Unfortunately, it's hard to get over its portly looks and that damn chrome grill.  I much preferred the looks of the previous generation.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 09:12:28 am »
I'd be interested in seeing a list of the cars you've had that were the worst in winter conditions.

Also, have you not had winter experience with a BMW Xdrive, MB 4matic or Audi quattro?..... or did they not make the cut as one of the best? 
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:42:07 am »
Very good article.  Just goes to show what I suspected all along.  Good driving dynamics are more importrant than the size and weight of a vehcle in winter driving.  Yet so many North Americans think they must have the big gas guzzling  high center of gravity cumbersome handling Suv's to drive down the highway in winter, even though I've seen plenty of them in a ditch during snowy/icy conditions.  I've been driving front wheel only vehicles with snow tires for 30 years and have never had an incident.  Of course it goes without saying that one would likely come out ahead in a collision driving an SUV, but I don't live in fear of things that probably won't happen.

Offline Spheric

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 09:54:11 am »
One of the more useful real world articles on Autos.ca.

Thanks for educating me about the Charger and RWD being okay in winter. I was always under the impression that winter and RWD vehicles make for a bad mix.

Would be interesting to see a similar article about FWD vehicles only and if there are any significant differences in forward motion and handling in snow (with winter tires obviously). That would definitely be a real world article.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 09:58:40 am »
For highway performance I'll bet the length of the wheelbase makes quite a difference as well as weight. Our minivans have always felt pretty good on the highway in winter.

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:43:11 am »
I'm surprised about the Charger.  I wonder how the Challenger would do and a 911-4.  Very educational.  I would love to see a comparison AWD between the A4, C300, and 328.

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 11:52:26 am »
Good article.  I also was surprised that the Charger did well.  I guess it goes to show that type of tires matters more than type of drive.  I wonder how the European cars would have done?

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 11:58:17 am »
I'm surprised about the Charger.  I wonder how the Challenger would do and a 911-4.  Very educational.  I would love to see a comparison AWD between the A4, C300, and 328.

Yes, all the luxury manufacturers seem to offer AWD as at least an option on their entry level sedans. That would make an interesting comparison test especially if there was an emphasis on winter performance.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 12:10:43 pm »
I still think you cant go wrong with a Subaru with a really good set of winter tires for getting through really hairy conditions. Id personally want a LSD in the rear for more stability, but even stock, thats my go to recommendation to someone that wants a car thats great in the winter.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »
All Subaru cars should get a mention IMO. They all have AWD and mostly use the same system. Our 2006 Forester is still around because it's such a good winter driver. I've never driven anything close to it in extreme winter conditions. Great read, thanks.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 12:17:46 pm »
A Subaru STi/Mitsu Evo would make a pretty awesome winter beate....sorry, extreme condition vehicle  ;D

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:40 pm »
Some notes on some noteworthy highway snowstorm cars.
Read More...

Nice article and I second comment from Sailor about the 3 FGC AWD systems and why they didn't make the list.
The "worst" handling winter cars wouls be interesting too, though I highly doubt manufacturers would be thrilled with the publication.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2013, 02:02:03 pm »
interesting... i'd like to see how the charger awd compares to the rwd...

also, how far down the list a rwd charger will be in city driving... i agree that rwd on a big car is great on the highway in snow, but city driving, i'm not a huge fan of them.

guess its a compromise.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2013, 03:12:10 pm »
You would think this review was done on Manitoba/Sask roads!!!......really like Justin's testing  grounds.
Very glad to hear the Charger's drive in a positive way....the Subie too.   ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 04:32:07 pm »
I'd be interested in seeing a list of the cars you've had that were the worst in winter conditions.

Also, have you not had winter experience with a BMW Xdrive, MB 4matic or Audi quattro?..... or did they not make the cut as one of the best?

Tks-- this wasn't about the 'best', it was the most noteworthy. Ones that stuck out for various reasons. Not necessarily the best or most adept at tackling the crappy weather, but ones that stuck with my memory as a self-proclaimed winter driving enthusiast. 4Matic, Quattro and xDrive dont really stand out for me as much, because you 'know' they'll be good. They are.

Worst ones? I hit a blizzard in an S2000 with summer tires once.. that sucked. Also, Hyundai Accent a few years back in all-season tires.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2013, 04:34:43 pm »

Definitely!! longer wheelbase tends to feel more forgiving, predictable, and looses traction more slowly when you loose it. Im not a scientist, but i think longer tends to be better here.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2013, 05:13:55 pm »
I have drivin my '11 Sonata in some pretty heavy weather up here n/w of Thunder Bay and never had a problem unless I get hung up and it's usually my fault going where I shouldn't for a pit stop.
The tires are good but could be better, Falken Espia EPZ.
Not bad on ice, ok in snow and slush, but cant handle much. The two faced tread only really bites down into the snow/slush on its shoulders.
The ice face in centre with it's tightly packed tread blocks tends to hydroplane on slush and prevent any real deep snow grip.
But still better than  all season tires  I guess, I just take my time and drive accordingly. These tires let go to easily in corners too, really appreciate the esp at times when I'm caught off guard.
Going studded next time, my '11 Accent had Kumho kw 19's with studs, I could climb a mountain .

Offline Black Hatch

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 CX-5GT w/Tech
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2013, 08:43:32 pm »
Nice article and I second comment from Sailor about the 3 FGC AWD systems and why they didn't make the list.
The "worst" handling winter cars wouls be interesting too, though I highly doubt manufacturers would be thrilled with the publication.
Definitely!! longer wheelbase tends to feel more forgiving, predictable, and looses traction more slowly when you loose it. Im not a scientist, but i think longer tends to be better here.

From that I would infer that the Smart Fortwo would probably not be a good "handling" winter highway car.