Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2313639 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #4360 on: July 20, 2016, 12:00:20 pm »
You went in the attic today😱
Way to hot to that !

Yes, I still have some work to do in my attic, but not until late fall.  :P

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4361 on: July 20, 2016, 01:21:36 pm »
By the way my oven died.

Gas or electric?  If electric, pony up and get an induction range.  They're awesome.

Gas or bust!

it's a wall mounted oven.  separate gas stove top.  i like the gas.    oven's electric.   i can't tell why it isn't working.

tested the relay (there's two), each putting out or in  120 volt.   doesn't look like the board is damaged but i can't really diagnose without spec sheets and taking the whole thing out of the wall.   

Check for continuity in the actual heating element if you haven't already
Mr Pickypants

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #4362 on: July 20, 2016, 01:27:21 pm »
Damn, looks like my laptop is on it's way out, it doesn't like this heat.

If I make it do anything, in about an hour  it overheats or something and blinks off.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: July 20, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
By the way my oven died.

Gas or electric?  If electric, pony up and get an induction range.  They're awesome.

Gas or bust!

it's a wall mounted oven.  separate gas stove top.  i like the gas.    oven's electric.   i can't tell why it isn't working.

tested the relay (there's two), each putting out or in  120 volt.   doesn't look like the board is damaged but i can't really diagnose without spec sheets and taking the whole thing out of the wall.   

and if tht's the case, I've had great luck getting parts from partselect.ca, for stoves, dryers, dishwashers...impressed with their service.
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4364 on: July 21, 2016, 10:26:05 am »
By the way my oven died.

Gas or bust!

and if tht's the case, I've had great luck getting parts from partselect.ca, for stoves, dryers, dishwashers...impressed with their service.

yeah, already checked the elements.   broiler element was dead, got a new one for $90 , installed and the whole thing died.... only things that work are the clock, and convection fan....

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4365 on: July 21, 2016, 11:09:18 am »
I have a Frigidaire slide-in dual fuel range; I've had to replace the main controller twice.  Not quite the price of a new range, but not cheap, either. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4366 on: July 21, 2016, 11:55:06 am »
I have a 2 yr old Bosch dishwasher that i've had to mod already ffs!  The studs that hold the rollers for the upper tray disintegrated, so they are now held on there with cable ties.  ::)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4367 on: July 21, 2016, 12:37:10 pm »
Within the first 2 years, the springs that counterbalance the door on our Amana dishwasher broke, so when you opened the door it would crash open if you weren't expecting it.  The repair guy who came decided that he'd start stocking the parts, because he figured it must be a weak point.  Hasn't broken since, so the replacement parts must be better quality!

Offline craigq

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-9
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 17FozXT, 18MiragePOS
« Reply #4368 on: July 24, 2016, 08:26:44 am »
Modern bank "jobs", not occupations but this modern blue (or would it be white?) collar crime.

Someone attempted to fraudulently transfer funds out of my bank account. The bank's loss/fraud prevention implements stopped the transaction from going through, but this activity still pisses me off. Scum of the Earth I tell ya. I was really upset when I found out but I've calmed down a bit since then. I do my online banking on a PC that I don't surf the Internet/don't check email with/keep the AV up-to-date (it's all automatic anyways) etc. I don't open/respond to "phishing" emails, yadda-yadda-yadda. Happened regardless. Argh...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #4369 on: July 26, 2016, 03:17:31 pm »

If I make it do anything, in about an hour  it overheats or something and blinks off.

Have you tried cleaning the vents with a can of compressed air?  Recently the fan in my laptop was becoming noisy and sometimes the laptop would shut down, presumably due to the heat.  I cleaned the vents and all's well again.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 03:53:46 pm by mrthompson »

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #4370 on: July 27, 2016, 01:17:07 am »
Skunk encounter the last two nights.

I've been working late shifts this summer, and got careless letting the dog out at midnight a couple of nights ago. I flipped the backyard floods on to scare anything off, and followed the dog out the door. She meandered a bit and then headed over to the shed. Just as she got within 4 ft of the shed, I saw a shadow move, and realized, OH SH*T! I called her back, (with a certain sense of urgency you understand,) and fortunately she is well trained and returned to me immediately. The skunk didn't spray! Whew, dodged a bullet. I guess her movements weren't aggressive and the skunk didn't feel threatened.

Next night I'm walking her at midnight again, along a very well illuminated paved pathway running down the middle of a greenbelt behind the house. I noticed a couple of bumps on the grass, and then realized they were moving towards us. About face, and hasty retreat. The local skunks are almost tame. Lights don't bother them.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-434
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4371 on: July 27, 2016, 01:50:08 am »
What about a .22? Does that bother them?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4372 on: July 27, 2016, 02:28:13 am »
What about a .22? Does that bother them?

I'm guessing it would!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #4373 on: July 27, 2016, 04:35:01 am »
My PhD thesis supervisor just died. He was like a father to me academically speaking, a giant in the military history community.

I am in the midst of writing my chapters, and I cannot bring myself to write another word right now, all the joy of putting figurative pen to paper is gone. All gone.

I have never had anyone really close to me die before. I really dont know what I am going to do, academically, and personally, speaking. I have 8 months left in my PhD and now I need a new supervisor. But I had the best, I came half way around the world to work with the best. And now he is gone.

So yeah, I am quite sad and upset right now.

How do you get past this? All I can do now is drink...numbs the pain a little.  :'(

It is still very new news, so I wont mention his name out of respect for his family [who have yet to make the announcement], but RIP "Chief" as I affectionately called you. RIP.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4374 on: July 27, 2016, 06:45:44 am »
RIP Chief

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #4375 on: July 27, 2016, 07:33:34 am »
Sorry to hear about this tragic news.  And this difficult time for you that lays ahead.  The best way to honour him is doing the best you can with what you learned from him.  Take it a day at a time.  My condolences.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #4376 on: July 27, 2016, 02:42:43 pm »
A grad student,a post grad and a prof walked into a pub....they saw a lamp on the table and rubbed it  (hey they were smart like!!)   Genie said only 1 wish each for you brainiacs...

Grad...ĢI`d like a week in the Bahamas with 2 hot chix...`poof off he went

Post Grad ' I`d like a week in Hawaii with a Hula girl on one side and a giant  Maiti drink poof off he went

Professor....' I`d like those two back in the lab by NOON`.

Get back on the horse dude.......the CHIEF would demand it.............. :-*
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4377 on: July 27, 2016, 02:45:21 pm »

Have you tried cleaning the vents with a can of compressed air?  Recently the fan in my laptop was becoming noisy and sometimes the laptop would shut down, presumably due to the heat.  I cleaned the vents and all's well again.

I did take off some covers and blow it out, seems to be running cooler now, hasn't shut down at least.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: July 27, 2016, 03:53:07 pm »
Went to local Crappy Tire, (largest in the world) to buy a metal detector and a fishing rod and reel.  They seemed to have done a bait and switch thing with the metal detector model I wanted, so I decided to look at the fishing gear.  After chasing the guy working at the counter around it twice and him serving 3 other people who got there ahead of me I left without buying anything.

I was going to get this:  http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bounty-hunter-discovery-2200-metal-detector-0793946p.html#.V198BrorL0o

Need a rod and reel to handle striped bass.

Ended up buying a Berkley rod and reel for $60 at Crappy Tire in Tracadie, NB.  Caught a nice 5 or 6 pound striper the first evening, went back the next evening and after about a dozen casts the reverse lock on the reel crapped out and I ended up with a birds-nest of monofilament.   
Yesterday I returned the rod and reel and got my $60 back, went to look at what was on sale (again could get no help from the Crappy Tire workers in the fishing dept, they are totally useless there) but did find the same rod and reel on sale for $26, so I bought another one. Hope the other breaking was a fluke.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: July 27, 2016, 07:06:11 pm »
Did the reverse crap out or was the lock switch flipped?  Strange that it would break so soon.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.