Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Buick Verano; Day 1  (Read 13358 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Buick Verano; Day 1
« on: April 04, 2012, 04:02:27 am »

Buick's 2012 Verano is an all-new entry-level model for the brand, conceived to compete with a wide range of compact cars, luxurious and otherwise.
Read More...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2012 Buick Verano; Day 1
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:01:15 am »
"competes with everything from a standard compact like the Honda Civic to the luxury models like the BMW 1- or 3 series"  ???

I really have to question this line. I can't imagine that there are any significant number of buyers cross shopping these three cars.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12349
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 06:42:53 am »
"competes with everything from a standard compact like the Honda Civic to the luxury models like the BMW 1- or 3 series"  ???

I really have to question this line. I can't imagine that there are any significant number of buyers cross shopping these three cars.

I don't think the cross-shopping would cover all three - I think the point is more that the Verano could face cross-shopping both above and below its price point.  I think both fully loaded mainstream compacts  and some near luxury vehicles would be cross-shopped against it, with the Verano being more luxurious than the former and less costly than the latter.  3 series might be a bit of a stretch, though.

Jaeger
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Winterpeg

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +8/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 Chev Malibu LT V6
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 07:36:16 am »
Handsome devil at the very least (except for the rear chrome "eyebrows" over the taillights as someone previously blogged) BUT attention Buick......if you continue with the hood "ventiports", please make them functional. That chrome piece and the other mentioned scars a otherwise clean look.    ;)
Have Car......Will Travel

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
Handsome devil at the very least (except for the rear chrome "eyebrows" over the taillights as someone previously blogged) BUT attention Buick......if you continue with the hood "ventiports", please make them functional. That chrome piece and the other mentioned scars a otherwise clean look.    ;)

:iagree:

James, was cold enough to use the heated steering wheel today?  I miss having that in cars

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 08:23:11 am »
Competes with a 3-series!?!  :o

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 08:37:31 am »
I was thinking this is nicer than a 320 if you want luxury that's for sure.  And about the same size, less money and same power -- yes it's not RWD, but most buyers couldn't tell you if their car was front or rear wheel drive anyways.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 09:26:36 am »
Agreed.  And a base 3-series is pretty spartan.

Like the car,  hate the vents.   I'd probably get them painted were I to buy a Verano.   They're larger in life than the pictures make them seem.  I thought it was a Regal at first. 
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 09:33:01 am »
Like the car,  hate the vents.   I'd probably get them painted were I to buy a Verano.   They're larger in life than the pictures make them seem.  I thought it was a Regal at first.

Ditto that.  I'd likely get black and paint the vents to match.  Still wish they'd just leave off with such trite styling frills in the first place.

Jaeger

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 09:34:11 am »
that actually does look pretty good.

like people above said, the vents have to go....   why put them there at all?  is it the aesthetics? (obviously not, as none of us enthusiasts like them, they are garish and vulgar...  especially when non functional), historically significant?  i don't know enough buick history.

it probably is a pretty good competitor to 320..  comparing it to a civic would be an insult to this buick. (WHO WOULDA THUNK THIS WAS POSSIBLE?   :o )

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:41:25 am »
I was thinking this is nicer than a 320 if you want luxury that's for sure.  And about the same size, less money and same power -- yes it's not RWD, but most buyers couldn't tell you if their car was front or rear wheel drive anyways.

Fair point on the 320 - not a vehicle that first springs to mind when I think "3 series".

Jaeger

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:47:34 am »

Agree completely, though a certain segment buys by the badge so would not cross shop. But for a lot of buyers who can't tell (or don't care) which wheels drive, if they drove them back to back I could see a few going for the Buick - bells and whistles can override chassis tuning for a lot of people!

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 10:18:42 am »

Fair point on the 320 - not a vehicle that first springs to mind when I think "3 series".

Jaeger

That is a fair point.I'd actually forgotten that the 320 even exists. For some reason (reading to many US auto websites maybe?  ;D ) I always think of the 328 as being the entry level 3 series.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 11:34:09 am »
nice looking car...i expect it will do fairly well in the review...i have always liked the Verano.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 11:41:39 am »

Jaeger

You spoiled brats!  ;)
Since when 180HP is not BMW enough for ya?

I was at the 3-series presentation at Elite BMW in Ottawa last week. No one is expecting the 320 to be not enough to qualify as a serious 3-series. If anything, it should be a volume seller cashing in on those new to the brand younger buyers to get them into a BMW as soon as possible and move them up as their incomes increase.

I will ask for a 320 as a loaner when I bring my 328 for service just to compare them performance wise in normal driving conditions. I fully expect the blown 4 to be quite eager despite (only?) 180 detuned HP.

I do NOT see the 4-cyl Verano as a competitor to ANY premium imports. The turbo version would be a different story. Just IMHO.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 12:51:59 pm »
James, the base car brings back an old classic: vinyl seats with inset fabric.  They're still soft and comfy.  At the Montreal Auto show, they had a base Verano on display, plus one very similar to your tester - might have been the same press car, in fact.  Loved the black leather in that one.

With the upcoming 2.0t / manual, this one will be a contender, but if I had to drive a slushbox, as it is the Verano is a nice alternative to, say, a Camry SE.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 01:38:39 pm »
James, the base car brings back an old classic: vinyl seats with inset fabric.  They're still soft and comfy.  At the Montreal Auto show, they had a base Verano on display, plus one very similar to your tester - might have been the same press car, in fact.  Loved the black leather in that one.

With the upcoming 2.0t / manual, this one will be a contender, but if I had to drive a slushbox, as it is the Verano is a nice alternative to, say, a Camry SE.

Just as a side note on the slush box. Is it the same one BMW used to install on its 328? If it is then definitely 2.0T with manual to score any points with the enthusiasts market.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 10:04:31 am »
I like this Verano, and think the price is excellent, as I prefer this engine than the turbo engines found in the Cruze.  Since this a compact, I am sure it feels just as tight in the back as the Cruze. 

So for more rear seat comfort, a Regal is probably something to look at.  But other than some styling differances, and space, it's approx $6500 more.  When comparing the same trim, you get the same motor, same tranny.  Just not enough differances to warrant that much of a price gap in my opinion.  Also I find that if you want the base model with leather seats you can't, you have to get the top end model and spend $4500 extra, and also get expensive 18' tires.

Now if you compare the Regal to the Lacross, at least you get the 3.6L engine, more standard equipment, and the price differance is less about $5000, but this is more than understandble given the content and upgraded motor.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »

I suppose it all hinges on the meaning of "significant".  Is 3 significant?  :)

"Brand" new models are all about CONQUEST sales.  The only conquest sales this Verano is going to steal is from the Regal  or in the case of a Chevy-Buick dealer a Cruze or a Malibu.

History is again repeating itself at GM.  In the Chevy line you have Cruze, Malibu and Impala.  In the Buick line you have Verano, Regal and LaCrosse.  All battling each other with content and pricing .  This scenario occurred when the new Malibu appeared in 2007.  Impala sales shrank accordingly as Malibu sales increased.  Didn't dent the competition.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:51 am »
I was pleasantly surprised to read the comments regarding Day 2. The author was impressed, it seems. But I have never seen the type of gratuitous "Ed." commentary in an article on this site before like that which appeared here, extolling the virtues of the Elantra. Really, Ed., was that necessary? It seemed very out of place and, frankly, a slam at the author. Whatever the virtues of the other car may be, the author was offering his opinion on the Verano, not the Elantra. It seems odd that the discussion suddenly veered from discussing the relative virtues of the Verano versus the 320, to suddenly throwing an economy car into the mix.

Does this mean that "Ed." will be interjecting his/her own views on all articles appearing on the site from now on? Perhaps "Ed." should simply write all the pieces here and save the site owners a pile of money by making it a one-man/woman show.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.