Author Topic: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2015 Toyota Corolla S  (Read 9567 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Arrival: 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« on: July 03, 2015, 06:31:00 am »

The everycar.
Read More...

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
Re: Long-Term Test Arrival: 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 09:48:49 am »
I guess I'm blind then  :P

My perspective is that the Corolla and Civic are both hugely successful namplates that have been the yardsticks with which all other compact cars measure themselves - even when they struggle. The current Civic, which I own, fails to come up to some people's expectations. The last Corolla was far worse. It is good to see the Corolla be this good again, simply to see what Honda does to push back!

Of course, my gut still tells me that the Corolla is as much a legendary car as Wonder Bread is a miracle of baking...

Offline dutch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 GMC Acadia, 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 09:56:07 am »
We picked up the identical car (same options and colour) about 2 mos ago.  Can honestly say its been a great car so far. It's mainly used by my wife to and from work, but we find we are grabbing it more and more for our weekend run arounds and day trips. Comfy seats (I'm 6'3 and fit well), great fuel economy and at night VERY bright head lights.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 11:23:23 am »
I agree.  Though it's not anything special, it's really an incredible all-around car for the money.  The one I drive (note: not 'mine', GBA  >:() is currently loaded up with my golf clubs, a backpack with all my clothes for the weekend, and all of my camping gear.  It also has my litigation briefcase.  It also has tons of room left in it to spare.  The trunk really is wonderful and I've on several occasions driven 3 other golfers (4 total) with clubs without any difficulty.  Same for cottage weekend runs.  Added weight can bog down the power level, but otherwise I had no difficulty keeping up in traffic in the left lane when I don't feel like driving like a granny.

It's not exciting, but it really is great basiceconomical motoring - it's no longer basic, given the LED headlights, the touchscreen, bluetooth, rearview camera, and steering wheel mounted controls - all of which I don't have in the 2010 'Rolla parked outside my office.

Offline aaronk

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +45/-38
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 11:36:53 am »
I'm glad this is in your fleet and look forward to reading more about the daily experiences from behind the wheel. If I were new-car shopping for an affordable family vehicle right now, this would be tops on my list to drive. Still, I think the Mazda3 is more compelling - visually and dynamically.

I rode with a friend who had a rental Corolla CE when his Insight got T-boned, and even in base trim it's a nice little car. With leasing like $300/month all-in, it's easy to understand why they're so popular.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:40:01 pm »
I agree.  Though it's not anything special, it's really an incredible all-around car for the money.  The one I drive (note: not 'mine', GBA  >:() is currently loaded up with my golf clubs, a backpack with all my clothes for the weekend, and all of my camping gear.  It also has my litigation briefcase.  It also has tons of room left in it to spare.  The trunk really is wonderful and I've on several occasions driven 3 other golfers (4 total) with clubs without any difficulty.  Same for cottage weekend runs.  Added weight can bog down the power level, but otherwise I had no difficulty keeping up in traffic in the left lane when I don't feel like driving like a granny.

It's not exciting, but it really is great basiceconomical motoring - it's no longer basic, given the LED headlights, the touchscreen, bluetooth, rearview camera, and steering wheel mounted controls - all of which I don't have in the 2010 'Rolla parked outside my office.

we gotta get together to compare generations. (after you clean it up...)

Maybe we should have a Corolla club meeting!
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 09:21:33 am »
You gotta be kidding me....sitting on your sporty plastic seats (that you paid extra for), enjoying those rear disc brakes (extra, also)...What a cheap :censor: box..I'd be pissed if it proved reliable.Praying for the crappy little motor to blow, or the horrid CVT to self destruct(Maybe you have the modern 4 speed instead..lucky you). This car is a joke..An ugly joke, at that..Thanks    Jackie

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2015, 11:03:40 am »
You gotta be kidding me....sitting on your sporty plastic seats (that you paid extra for), enjoying those rear disc brakes (extra, also)...What a cheap :censor: box..I'd be pissed if it proved reliable.Praying for the crappy little motor to blow, or the horrid CVT to self destruct(Maybe you have the modern 4 speed instead..lucky you). This car is a joke..An ugly joke, at that..Thanks    Jackie
If it not a Hyundai then it is crap
 ::)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Arrival: 2015 Toyota Corolla S
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2015, 12:11:02 pm »

If it not a Hyundai then it is crap
 ::)

Lol I thought he was talking about a Hyundai!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 01:47:53 pm »
we gotta get together to compare generations. (after you clean it up...)

Maybe we should have a Corolla club meeting!
I'm down - and it's all clean now, with the hood/bumper horribly repainted.

...anyone here have even older generations?!  :P

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 12:38:51 am »

I started my car search with the Corolla and came real close to buying one but needed something bigger. I did start reading the review but when I saw it had the CVT stopped. I realise most are sold with it but since I'd never buy it that way lost interest. Cheers on the review though Jonathan and thank you for bringing it to us. :)

I saw what I thought was a nearly identical one in our office garage, but I peeked through the window, and Li and behold, a manual transmission!

For more on the manual: http://www.autos.ca/car-test-drives/test-drive-2014-toyota-corolla-s-2/

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 01:39:08 pm »

While I can't see myself owning one, your opinion of the 'Rolla is highly ignorant and/or deluded. This car has one mission, be a non descript, non offensive, reliable, a-b transport box and in that capability it shines. If my mother was looking for a cheap run around and she didn't want/need AWD, this would be my recommendation. It is the perfect commuter appliance.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:39 pm »
I was helping someone build & price one recently... noticed that going from the LE to the LE ECO gets you the base 15" steel wheels instead of 16s... to help with the fuel economy I guess. Do the wheels really make that much of a difference? Kinda annoying to pay more and get smaller wheels + dowdier looks. Anyone know if they use lower rolling resistance tires on the ECO as well?

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2015, 11:50:12 am »
I was helping someone build & price one recently... noticed that going from the LE to the LE ECO gets you the base 15" steel wheels instead of 16s... to help with the fuel economy I guess. Do the wheels really make that much of a difference? Kinda annoying to pay more and get smaller wheels + dowdier looks. Anyone know if they use lower rolling resistance tires on the ECO as well?

good question.

I'll check up on that.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 12:04:06 pm »
I'd go for the ECO model - holy crap can it post impressive economy numbers.  Friends of ours have had theirs for a while now and rarely are out of the 4's on the highway.

No way I'd buy a manual Corolla unless I was certain I was keeping it.  They are dogs to sell.  And the character of the car really suits the auto anyway.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2015, 02:00:30 pm »
I'd go for the ECO model - holy crap can it post impressive economy numbers.  Friends of ours have had theirs for a while now and rarely are out of the 4's on the highway.

No way I'd buy a manual Corolla unless I was certain I was keeping it.  They are dogs to sell.  And the character of the car really suits the auto anyway.
I'd save the few grand and just get the LE CVT - all the car you need, and truly the purpose here.  The Eco's extra pricetag seems...well...meh?

I suppose if all you do is highway drive, then yeah, get the Eco, but the Valvematic system only works well at highway speeds (otherwise, you have a nearly identical powertrain - yeah, yeah, LRR tires, etc.)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2015, 02:04:37 pm »
I'd save the few grand and just get the LE CVT - all the car you need, and truly the purpose here.  The Eco's extra pricetag seems...well...meh?

Oh, I'll have to check pricing.  According to my friends, the upcharge for the ECO over the LE was about $700.

Offline .l..

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +23/-654
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2015, 02:23:50 pm »

That's good to know.  When it's time for my next commuter, I may need to look for one of those dogs.  4's is super impressive, and for back and forth to work...damn, I could live with that. Lucky to get into the low 6's and that's if I drive 90 kmh everywhere...shifting before 2500 and all that.  Probably don't need to drive a Corolla that way to get that 4-5's do you...? 

I saw one of these in white with the Anniversary pkg (the nice wheels like the tester), and I thought, damn, that's not a bad looking car at all. It doesn't "look" like a Corolla.  Honestly, I think it actually looks better than the Mazda 3. Or a Civic. At least from certain angles.   

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:35 pm »

I suppose if all you do is highway drive, then yeah, get the Eco, but the Valvematic system only works well at highway speeds (otherwise, you have a nearly identical powertrain - yeah, yeah, LRR tires, etc.)
You have actually buy a car to save a couple of grand, you put your own money down  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 04:08:31 pm »
Oh, I'll have to check pricing.  According to my friends, the upcharge for the ECO over the LE was about $700.
LE CVT standard = $19,960
LE Eco CVT = $20,710

I thought it was closer to $2,000.  I was wrong.

$4,725 to go from LE Eco CVT to LE Eco CVT Tech package though.  Ouch, to spend >$4k on one package on a Corolla.