Author Topic: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas  (Read 25757 times)

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2018 Volkswagen Atlas
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 12:43:52 pm »
I see VW as sort of having two tiers of vehicles at this point.

Designed primarily for the American market and providing high value: Jetta, Beetle, Passat, Atlas

More Euro, more expensive: Golf (all permutations), CC, Touareg

Not quite sure where the new Tiguan will lie in this.

The Golf used to be the entry level product in North America but now the Jetta is. Despite competing in a similar space, the Golf is more expensive and is more of a premium product (relatively speaking). I think the Atlas and Touareg will have a similar relationship, but with a bigger price difference.

Online revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2016, 02:19:25 pm »
I really have come to appreciate VW's restrained styling. Their products also seem to stay looking fresh longer.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 02:21:02 pm »
They can't expect us to believe that all this will fit into that. Four child size hockey bags is about 600 litres altogether, add the goalie to the mix and their bag is up to 250 litres = 850 litres. The Honda Pilot is one of the larger 3 row CUVs and only has about 500 litres behind the third row and will in no way fit all of that back there although the Pilot is an 8 seater so you can fold one seat down and fit 7 plus gear.

As a result, when I saw the teaser photo, I was thinking Routan attempt #2. I'd be surprised if the Atlas has anything close to 500 litres, which will not fit 850 litres of hockey gear. This is misleading advertising.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-436
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2016, 02:21:53 pm »
This would be nice with a diesel.;)

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »
They can't expect us to believe that all this will fit into that. Four child size hockey bags is about 600 litres altogether, add the goalie to the mix and their bag is up to 250 litres = 850 litres. The Honda Pilot is one of the larger 3 row CUVs and only has about 500 litres behind the third row and will in no way fit all of that back there although the Pilot is an 8 seater so you can fold one seat down and fit 7 plus gear.

As a result, when I saw the teaser photo, I was thinking Routan attempt #2. I'd be surprised if the Atlas has anything close to 500 litres, which will not fit 850 litres of hockey gear. This is misleading advertising.

Maybe mom isn't coming along so they're not using the third row.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:50:40 pm by OliverD »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2016, 03:00:14 pm »

Yeah I only see three smaller hockey bags/large duffle bags.  Looks like the kids are going to hockey practice already dressed so they'll be strapped in with their gear on.  I can see them fitting what's in the picture into that CUV.  The problem is, kids usually have a bit bigger gear and don't wear all their gear in the vehicle on there way to practice.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2016, 03:08:35 pm »
As an aside, that colour reminds me of Futura Yellow, briefly available on early MkIV Jettas and GTIs.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2016, 05:07:51 pm »
Plus there seems to be rumors of a smaller CUV coming to compete in the small CUV market that currently has the CX-3, Subaru Crosstrek, and Honda HR-V.
I've heard that there are two sub-Tiguan CUVs coming.
smaller than a Tiguan...will it be a fricken 2-seater?  The Tiguan already has no cargo capacity...FFS.  Unless smaller = shorter, in which case we're getting a Golf on stilts (i.e. literally a lifted Golf with no other changes...ok, maybe some plastic cladding).  Then another one smaller than that?!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 05:22:12 pm »
Plus there seems to be rumors of a smaller CUV coming to compete in the small CUV market that currently has the CX-3, Subaru Crosstrek, and Honda HR-V.
I've heard that there are two sub-Tiguan CUVs coming.
smaller than a Tiguan...will it be a fricken 2-seater?  The Tiguan already has no cargo capacity...FFS.  Unless smaller = shorter, in which case we're getting a Golf on stilts (i.e. literally a lifted Golf with no other changes...ok, maybe some plastic cladding).  Then another one smaller than that?!

Smaller than the new Tiguan LWB.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 05:56:58 pm »
VW needs to fire the person that comes up with their names.  Seriously.  This is okay, but not great.  Eos?  Tourag?  Ugh. Even Golf?  Surprised they didn't call their SUV the Baseball.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 06:22:17 pm »
VW needs to fire the person that comes up with their names.  Seriously.  This is okay, but not great.  Eos?  Tourag?  Ugh. Even Golf?  Surprised they didn't call their SUV the Baseball.

On the bright side, at least it's an actual name and not the alphabet soup that so many manufacturers are doing now.   ::)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 07:01:12 pm »
Now I want them to make a Volkswagen Croquet.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 09:45:00 pm »
Everything is nice with a diesel  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 11:48:38 pm »

Yeah I only see three smaller hockey bags/large duffle bags.  Looks like the kids are going to hockey practice already dressed so they'll be strapped in with their gear on.  I can see them fitting what's in the picture into that CUV.  The problem is, kids usually have a bit bigger gear and don't wear all their gear in the vehicle on there way to practice.

Actually, why are two kids in street goalie gear? Only one is dressed for actual hockey. The rest in duffle bags. IT MAKES NO SENSE!  ???

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2016, 01:00:33 am »
Everything is nice with a diesel  ;D

you mean slow and dirty?

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2016, 09:37:34 am »

Designed primarily for the American market and providing high value: Jetta, Beetle, Passat, Atlas

The Golf used to be the entry level product in North America but now the Jetta is. Despite competing in a similar space, the Golf is more expensive and is more of a premium product (relatively speaking). I think the Atlas and Touareg will have a similar relationship, but with a bigger price difference.

your assessment is totally incorrect in my opinion...the Golf is made in Mexico in the exact same place where the Jetta! Different platforms for now, but the Jetta will eventually reuse all the bits and pieces that are tied to the Golf - you know, like the same interior ;)
The Jetta has been the entry level VW in the line up for ages now - or maybe I am totally misplaced here? I don't remember the last time I saw a Golf that was cheaper than a Jetta. This is just part of VW's strategy given the Jetta has been the most popular VW for ages now.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2016, 01:08:25 pm »

your assessment is totally incorrect in my opinion...the Golf is made in Mexico in the exact same place where the Jetta! Different platforms for now, but the Jetta will eventually reuse all the bits and pieces that are tied to the Golf - you know, like the same interior ;)
The Jetta has been the entry level VW in the line up for ages now - or maybe I am totally misplaced here? I don't remember the last time I saw a Golf that was cheaper than a Jetta. This is just part of VW's strategy given the Jetta has been the most popular VW for ages now.

In 2010 the cheapest Golf was cheaper than the cheapest Jetta by $2k. Then when VW introduced the new, Americanized and decontented 2011 Jetta, it was almost $5k cheaper than the cheapest Golf. Before this point both models were similarly equipped and the Golf was cheaper, then they started offering stripped Jettas with no Golf equivalent.

The Golf also has the 1.8T standard on all models while most Jettas have the 1.4T.

Even when they're on the same platform, that won't mean that the Golf won't continue to be priced at a premium, be better equipped in its base models, and in general be "nicer" than the Jetta.

To me, the country the car is built in is completely irrelevant.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2016, 01:44:27 pm »

In 2010 the cheapest Golf was cheaper than the cheapest Jetta by $2k. Then when VW introduced the new, Americanized and decontented 2011 Jetta, it was almost $5k cheaper than the cheapest Golf. Before this point both models were similarly equipped and the Golf was cheaper, then they started offering stripped Jettas with no Golf equivalent.

The Golf also has the 1.8T standard on all models while most Jettas have the 1.4T.

Even when they're on the same platform, that won't mean that the Golf won't continue to be priced at a premium, be better equipped in its base models, and in general be "nicer" than the Jetta.

To me, the country the car is built in is completely irrelevant.

country is irrelevant, but they are reusing the same parts...then not sure why you'd categorize one as 'euro' and the other as 'americanized'....

So 2010 huh?...I had to go back because I've always thought the Jetta was the cheapest.

So I did:

2010 VW Golf: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2010-volkswagen-golf-review
$18,190-$23,489

2010 VW Jetta: http://www.autotrader.com/2010-volkswagen-Jetta+Sedan.jsp?modelId=19401
Base price: $17,605.00

anyways...the Golf is getting a mid-cycle refresh next year and the 1.4T engine is going right into it! So much for 'more euro' 'more expensive'  huh?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2016, 02:08:57 pm »
In Canada the 2010 Jetta was more expensive than the Golf.

It's very clear that the Jetta is designed primarily for the North American market (and perhaps some Asian markets). The Golf is designed primarily for Europe, but is also sold worldwide. That will likely continue for the next generation model.

With the Jetta and Passat (and now the Atlas), VW is targeting the heart of the North American market and trying to attract new customers to the brand. With products like the Golf, they're targeting customers who want a more "traditional" VW that isn't dumbed down and cheapened.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 09:06:14 am »
I see that VW is advertising the base price of the Atlas: $35,690. Presumably that's for a 2.0T FWD model; it's $100 more than a FWD Pilot. So I'm guessing an AWD V6 model will be about $40k, pretty much exactly where the Pilot AWD starts.