Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M4 Convertible  (Read 9928 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 BMW M4 Convertible
« on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:54 am »

M4's new big-boost six leaves Pritch's enthusiast side longing for the old V8 on a wintertime test drive.
Read More...

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
Re: Test Drive: 2015 BMW M4 Convertible
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:38:18 am »
The idea of an M4 convertible in wintertime, in Sudbury no less, is hilarious. I love these type of articles as they are a far cry from the "normal" reviews of cars such as these (i.e. in California/somewhere exotic).

As for the engine comment... I wonder what effort needs to be made to make these turbocharged engines sound as good as the NA engines they replace? Clearly, these are the engines that are going to be in virtually every car moving forward, but along with the efficiency upgrades, I hope someone can nail the sound qualities as well. And I don't mean just playing cool sounds over the stereo.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:27:26 am »
As for the engine comment... I wonder what effort needs to be made to make these turbocharged engines sound as good as the NA engines they replace? Clearly, these are the engines that are going to be in virtually every car moving forward, but along with the efficiency upgrades, I hope someone can nail the sound qualities as well. And I don't mean just playing cool sounds over the stereo.
One thing is for sure: F1 hasn't figured out how to make turbochargers sound good either.  :thumbdown:.

I miss the high-strung inline-6 of the E46 M3 10 years ago. I really do hope the Eco-mentalists and Health & Safety bureaucrats are happy that they've ruined many of the great sports cars of late.....
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 09:29:14 am by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +30/-45
    • View Profile
  • Cars: I-Mark, 240sx, MR2 GTS
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:44:11 am »
One thing is for sure: F1 hasn't figured out how to make turbochargers sound good either.  :thumbdown:.

I miss the high-strung inline-6 of the E46 M3 10 years ago. I really do hope the Eco-mentalists and Health & Safety bureaucrats are happy that they've ruined many of the great sports cars of late.....

They couldn't give a rats ass.... you should see the hateful looks I get from many of these folks while I'm driving the Viper.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:46 am »
I'm curious of how that neck air-scarf feature works.  Does it come on only when the top is lowered, or is there a specific setting that you can use it whenever?  I think that would be a nice feature for a convertible especially in this part of the world.

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 10:22:46 am »
I'm curious of how that neck air-scarf feature works.  Does it come on only when the top is lowered, or is there a specific setting that you can use it whenever?  I think that would be a nice feature for a convertible especially in this part of the world.

It's just like a heated seat. Click the button, and on it goes. Electric ceramic heater inside the seat pumps hot air onto your neck. Adjustable in 3 stages.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 10:38:28 am »

I think ruined is a bit strong. It's not being done just for environmental reasons - the market in general is moving this way. FCA kept the new Viper quite raw and simplistic but it didn't do them much good sales wise.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 10:46:41 am »

They couldn't give a rats ass.... you should see the hateful looks I get from many of these folks while I'm driving the Viper.

you get hateful looks in Viper?   aren't you in a small town?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline MR2Pritch

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 10:57:48 am »

Yes, but we still have greenies. Mostly, i get thumbs up. Unless there's a hybrid at the gas pump next to me. One guy asked how many miles per gallon it gets. I told him he didn't want to know, and he shook his head in disgust. lol

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 11:01:56 am »

Yes, but we still have greenies. Mostly, i get thumbs up. Unless there's a hybrid at the gas pump next to me. One guy asked how many miles per gallon it gets. I told him he didn't want to know, and he shook his head in disgust. lol

i'm sure he gets a lot of evil looks from fellow motorists for blocking the left lane and merging at 60 on 100kph road.  douchebag.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 11:08:48 am »
How many sets of golf clubs can you fit in the trunk? That seemed to be critical to the failure of the Solstice, well according to some.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 11:23:48 am »
I don't get an M3 convertible....at all. A 3series whatever, sure, but the hardcore performance model, thats just non sensical. To me it would be like Porsche offering the 911 GT3 in a cabrio. Nice car and all, but if I was looking at a drop top bimmer, a regular 3 series would be my choice.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 11:51:48 am »
I don't get an M3 convertible....at all. A 3series whatever, sure, but the hardcore performance model, thats just non sensical. To me it would be like Porsche offering the 911 GT3 in a cabrio. Nice car and all, but if I was looking at a drop top bimmer, a regular 3 series would be my choice.

Well, to be fair, Porsche offers plenty of levels of their convertible.  Including the totally bonkers 911 Turbo S Cabrio.

The M3/M4 is not a stripper track weapon like the GT3.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 11:56:09 am »

Well, to be fair, Porsche offers plenty of levels of their convertible.  Including the totally bonkers 911 Turbo S Cabrio.

The M3/M4 is not a stripper track weapon like the GT3.

Yeah, but all reviews Ive read about BMW cabrios have called them, soft, wallowy cruisers.....the M3 is a pretty hardcore car, seems to me a cabrio version is totally against what the M3 stands for. The 911 usually looses nothing in cabrio form, the BMWs lose their driving feel.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 12:18:24 pm »

You should've said, "That's like me asking you what does yours do in a 1/4 mile?"

Offline The Mighty Duck

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +34/-44
  • f*** that duck
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 MINI Cooper S | Past: 1999 Honda Civic, 2009 Honda Fit
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 12:30:02 pm »
Yeah, but all reviews Ive read about BMW cabrios have called them, soft, wallowy cruisers.....the M3 is a pretty hardcore car, seems to me a cabrio version is totally against what the M3 stands for. The 911 usually looses nothing in cabrio form, the BMWs lose their driving feel.

I love BMWs, but let's be honest, they'll will strap an M badge to anything to make money. See also: X5 M and X6 M.

M cars tend to be great vehicles, but let's not pretend an M badge is some hallowed thing. It's a marketing thing as much as it is a true sign of the "ultimate driving machine".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 12:32:31 pm »

I love BMWs, but let's be honest, they'll will strap an M badge to anything to make money. See also: X5 M and X6 M.

M cars tend to be great vehicles, but let's not pretend an M badge is some hallowed thing. It's a marketing thing as much as it is a true sign of the "ultimate driving machine".

I totally agree with you on the "m package" cars. They will drown any car with M badges and charge you a premium for it, however, the M3 is a real, honest to goodness, M car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 01:02:17 pm »

You should've said, "That's like me asking you what does yours do in a 1/4 mile?"
Lol.  Agreed.  Or say I bet you in a year I consume way less gas in my Viper than you do in your hybrid.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 06:23:21 pm »
Almost $100K?

LOL.

Honestly, that is nuts.

I would rather have a new Mustang GT Convertible which would give you 90% of the performance for half the price.

Or a one year old 911.  Or a Boxter S.  Or a.....
Used GTR.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 06:26:03 pm »
Almost $100K?

LOL.

Honestly, that is nuts.

I would rather have a new Mustang GT Convertible which would give you 90% of the performance for half the price.

Or a one year old 911.  Or a Boxter S.  Or a.....
Used GTR.

Used GTR....oh yeah....but for a convertible experience, a 5L Mustang would be 90% of the car for 50% of the cost.