Author Topic: Best Buy to Offer Ford Focus EV Charging Stations  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Best Buy to Offer Ford Focus EV Charging Stations
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:32:40 am »

Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited is working with consumer electronics retailer Best Buy Canada to offer Ford Focus Electric owners a convenient and dependable solution for home charging station installation.

Read More...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Re: Best Buy to Offer Ford Focus EV Charging Stations
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:45:24 am »
Don't like that $1599.  When I did my basement last year I laid in a suitable cable from the panel to the garage ( opposite ends of the house)  so I can either add a pup panel for more power in the garage or a charging device or both.  I have panel room for a 240V 40 amp breaker, lots of spare amps on my service so all I'd want is the device.   I don't see why it should cost $1599 nor do I see why I should not mount it and connect it myself.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline MKII

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-83
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:30:41 am »
Don't like that $1599.  When I did my basement last year I laid in a suitable cable from the panel to the garage ( opposite ends of the house)  so I can either add a pup panel for more power in the garage or a charging device or both.  I have panel room for a 240V 40 amp breaker, lots of spare amps on my service so all I'd want is the device.   I don't see why it should cost $1599 nor do I see why I should not mount it and connect it myself.

The charging station is optional, you can install home charger DIY,but then Ford will not guarantee the 3-4 hour fast full charge time.
At least that is the what Ford USA said when asked this question.

Source from Live Chat session with Focus Electric Marketing Manager Chad D'Arcy
Comment From MAF 
Can the home charger be installed DIY, if 240v service is ready to go?

Chad D'Arcy: Home charging stations can be installed DIY. However, Ford recommends the Leviton 240V home charging station be installed via our unique contract with Best Buy Geek Squad to achieve the 3-4 hour full charge time.

Comment From Nathan Austin 
Does the charging station come with the car or is it additional?

Chad D'Arcy: The home charging station recommended by Ford is an option to purchase in additional to your vehicle (similar to other EV manufacturers)
http://social.ford.com/our-articles/cars/focussedan/join-the-live-chat-with-focus-electric-marketing-manager-chad-darcy/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 11:33:42 am by MKII »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 11:39:29 am »
I wonder if that means  MORE than 40A at 240V    My preinstalled wire is 8-3  getting on for 1" in diameter.

Offline D70

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-153
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1990 Mazda Miata
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:48 am »
electrifying news

Their display at the Vancouver International Auto Show last week

http://www.flickr.com/photos/d70w7/7045192707/