Author Topic: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Accord Coupe V6 Touring  (Read 18775 times)

Offline PJAvenger

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-11
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mustang GT Convertible; 2013 RAM 1500; 2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Test Drive: 2016 Honda Accord Coupe V6 Touring
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2016, 02:04:33 pm »
I don't agree with the list of competitors - all of which are RWD.  Should this not be competitive only to other FWD cars?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »
I remember when the Altima V6 coupe came out, Sherwood Nissan called me about it and offered me a test drive. I had no interest in it because 2 doors=V8 and RWD, for me anyways, but I remember how disappointed I was. On the performance side, compared to my 3.5 V6 SE sedan, there was no benefit but now I lost the convenience of two doors. I went and drove the Accord coupe a few years later and while a much better car, the shifter was sublime and the V6 was amazing, again, wrong wheel drive and not really sporty at all. I guess for someone whos form over function, sure, I can see the appeal.

As a former Altima 3.5SE 6sp. manual owner, I endorse this observation wholeheartedly.

Valid points, but if someone is looking for a FWD vehicle with a V6/stick combo - you've got no other choice than this coupe. 

At least the Accord coupe retains most of the practicality of the sedan (other than the lack of doors).  The Altima coupe was a disaster - tiny backseat, TINY trunk, and no meaningful performance benefit compared to the sedan.

If I was looking at a large "sporting" V6 coupe, I don't know which way I'd go.  Mustang V6 should be the favorite - but not available with any decent options anymore (thanks Ford!)  Camaro - not a fan of the looks, but more importantly can't get over the lack of visibility.  Challenger is just too damn big.  Genesis coupe perhaps?  Despite being FWD, I'd consider the Accord just for the sweetness of its powertrain.

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2016, 02:13:57 pm »
I for one would love one but would realistically opt for the 4 cylinder six speed version due to finances and better fuel numbers. Good on Honda for continuing to offer the V6 six speed. The car enthusiast world needs more choices like it. 0-60 in something like 5.5 seconds and around 9L/100km is a nice combination.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2016, 02:59:29 pm »
I for one would love one but would realistically opt for the 4 cylinder six speed version due to finances and better fuel numbers. Good on Honda for continuing to offer the V6 six speed. The car enthusiast world needs more choices like it. 0-60 in something like 5.5 seconds and around 9L/100km is a nice combination.

For the price, I'd go for a Civic Si rather than a 4-cyl Accord Coupe.  Unless for whatever reason you want a more refined ride and/or an automatic.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2016, 03:41:50 pm »
I wouldn't consider this very highly, and at $35k, it's not exactly cheap.  Hey Jeff, for $30k, would you rather your WRX, or this coupe for $5k more?

Fwiw, the CX-3 has LEDs available up front for everything, also has auto high beams, and, gasp, a volume knob.

No arm rest, though :P
i'd likely do what Jaeger did...get a barely used Genesis for the same price.

When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2016, 04:43:04 pm »
I wouldn't consider this very highly, and at $35k, it's not exactly cheap.  Hey Jeff, for $30k, would you rather your WRX, or this coupe for $5k more?

Fwiw, the CX-3 has LEDs available up front for everything, also has auto high beams, and, gasp, a volume knob.

The WRX wouldn't hold a candle to the Accord as far as driving feel, ride and interior comfort are concerned.  I mean sure, the Accord's no Lexus, but let's be honest here, the WRX is pretty horrid inside. 

Yeah, the WRX has a trump card that the Accord doesn't have, and that's AWD.  BUT, if you're not particularly concerned about AWD, then the pleasures that you get from the Accord (a refined driving experience) are completely different from that of the WRX (fun, fun, fun).

Look at it this way:  If you had to do a 2000km road trip with two people, which would choose?  A WRX or an Accord Coupe?  I'd pick the Accord Coupe 99% of the time (that other 1% is reserved for if road trip HAS to be held during a blizzard and can't be postponed).

And why mention the CX-3?  It's not in the same ballpark, and would likely NEVER be cross-shopped with an Accord of any type, coupe or sedan.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 04:46:29 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2016, 05:07:17 pm »
And why mention the CX-3?  It's not in the same ballpark, and would likely NEVER be cross-shopped with an Accord of any type, coupe or sedan.
i don't think he mentioned the CX-3 in terms of a possible cross shop, but in terms of having equipment included on lower trims of it that isn't on the Accord, which is considerably more expensive.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
If I had to to a 2000km road trip with two people I wouldn't choose a Coupe.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +121/-437
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2016, 07:03:34 pm »

The WRX wouldn't hold a candle to the Accord as far as driving feel, ride and interior comfort are concerned.  I mean sure, the Accord's no Lexus, but let's be honest here, the WRX is pretty horrid inside. 

Yeah, the WRX has a trump card that the Accord doesn't have, and that's AWD.  BUT, if you're not particularly concerned about AWD, then the pleasures that you get from the Accord (a refined driving experience) are completely different from that of the WRX (fun, fun, fun).

Look at it this way:  If you had to do a 2000km road trip with two people, which would choose?  A WRX or an Accord Coupe?  I'd pick the Accord Coupe 99% of the time (that other 1% is reserved for if road trip HAS to be held during a blizzard and

GB agree ,  for those looking for an asphalt burner, true driving experience this is not the car ... I had an 09 V6 coupe a couple of  cars ago it was enjoyable , competent,  quite, with good performance and Honda reliability  :)  would never consider the 4 banger

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2016, 07:47:26 pm »
Honda should ditch the 2dr Accord and bring back the Prelude as a true 2dr sports car. I never understood why they killed the Prelude and offered the Accord in a coupe while killing the wagon, always seemed to me the Accord was the family car and the Prelude the sporty car.  It's still great that Honda offers a 2dr anything with a manual tranny.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2016, 07:49:52 pm »
^^^ Amen.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2016, 08:34:46 pm »
Honda should ditch the 2dr Accord and bring back the Prelude as a true 2dr sports car. I never understood why they killed the Prelude and offered the Accord in a coupe while killing the wagon, always seemed to me the Accord was the family car and the Prelude the sporty car.  It's still great that Honda offers a 2dr anything with a manual tranny.

Agreed, however some are calling the new Civic coupe the reincarnation of the Prelude. In terms of size and weight, it appears they are correct.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/04/27/return-of-prelude-2016-honda-civic-coupe/

Objectively the new Civic Coupe hits the sweet spot on Prelude dimensions. When the Prelude debuted in 1978 it had a wheelbase of 91.3 inches and an overall length of 161 inches. Over five generations the Prelude grew to a wheelbase of 101.8 inches and an overall length of 178 inches. The new Civic Coupe rides a longer wheelbase of 106.3 inches but has nearly identical overall length at 176.9 inches. Width of the new Civic is 70.8 inches vs. the last generation Prelude at 69 inches, the new Civic matches the Prelude of yore with a curb weight range of 2750-2900 lbs vs. the 2950-3000 lbs range of the Prelude. In the engine department Honda is offering two units, a 158 HP naturally aspirated 2.0 liter 4 and a 174 HP 1.5 liter turbo mill. The five Prelude generations featured Horsepower ranging from less than 100 in gen 1 to 200 by gen 5 from a naturally aspirated 2.2 liter 4. The last generation of Prelude would hit 0-60 in about 7 seconds, the current model Civic with a CVT and the 1.5 turbo will hit 60 slightly faster.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2016, 08:38:00 pm »

The Prelude didn't sell well though, and was a bespoke product rather than the Accord which is just a different body type of a very popular product.

It is interesting that Honda - who in recent years has shown little interest in anything other than very mainstream products - is the only company that has consistently sold coupe versions of its two sedans. Everyone else seems to just offer a coupe for a generation or two before dumping it - Focus, Elantra, Altima, Solara, etc.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2016, 09:36:26 pm »
The domestics mostly dropped coupes altogether too. Every single domestic car line seemed to have a coupe version from basic Cavaliers/K-Cars to the high end Buick/Cadillac/Lincoln/Chryslers. There were dozens of domestic coupes to pick from.

Must be a dying segment....

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2016, 09:48:03 pm »
Back in the day it wasn't unusual for families to have two door cars. For the first few years of my life my dad had a two door Corolla, and I remember our neighbour having a two door Pontiac of some sort. Now it seems like anything less than a midsize crossover is unacceptable if you have a kid.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2016, 08:10:00 am »
The domestics mostly dropped coupes altogether too. Every single domestic car line seemed to have a coupe version from basic Cavaliers/K-Cars to the high end Buick/Cadillac/Lincoln/Chryslers. There were dozens of domestic coupes to pick from.

Must be a dying segment....

the Coupe de Grace you might say D'Artagnan.

loved my Bigger Prelude.Take that you aging slackbladder.............
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:01 am »
My l'il sister has one.  She loves it and looks great in it,  but it's certainly not for me.  My own personal touring car would have to have to be sporty looking with RWD and preferably a V8, a la Mustang, Challenger or Camero, but not necessarily in that order.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2016, 09:18:18 am »
The thing about the Accord Coupe is that it's a friendlier machine to use than a comparably priced sports car like a 350Z or a Mustang V6.  So for non-car people who have no need for those extra doors, you get the appearance of a sporty car, yet the familiarity and ease of use of an Accord.

Ding ding ding.

Also there is a certain elegance to the "big coupe" look IMHO. See Mercedes CLK/CL and BMW 6 Series. The fact that this is a FWD Accord doesn't take much away from that.

I always thought Acura should put some effort into making a modern CL. The TLX would look pretty good in coupe form IMO and the end result would (should?) be a ~300hp, torque vectoring AWD, reliable, good looking GT car. Just have to fix the transmission and the HMI. Even if it doesn't sell that much it at least injects some excitement into the brand at an mass market price point unlike the NSX.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2016, 12:09:55 pm »
I'm not sure why they bother with the slow selling coupe. Give us a slow selling wagon. At least that would be novel.
Good point.  I remember when they used to offer the Accord wagon and Toyota the same with the Camry.

And that Camry wagon should have been on every top ten "ugly" list. On the other hand, it's modern equivalent (Venza) is actually quite stylish in it's own way...
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 12:31:48 pm »

I always thought Acura should put some effort into making a modern CL. The TLX would look pretty good in coupe form IMO and the end result would (should?) be a ~300hp, torque vectoring AWD, reliable, good looking GT car. Just have to fix the transmission and the HMI. Even if it doesn't sell that much it at least injects some excitement into the brand at an mass market price point unlike the NSX.

Actually  the 2003 Accord coupe decimated the Acura CL as much or more than the previous Prelude, so I doubt there would be a business plan to go down this route again.