Author Topic: Test drove a Volkswagen 4motion Sportwagen  (Read 22595 times)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
Re: Test drove a Volkswagen 4motion Sportwagen
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2016, 01:49:25 pm »
As I mentioned in the first-dirve Alltrack thread - I took a spin in a non AWD VW wagon to to get my impression .. and felt the only significant difference (to me) compared to the V60 T5 was was that the VW ran out of breath way quicker for highway passing.  So you and I are pretty much on the same page there.

In terms of size / capacity etc .. you said the V60 is cramped.  Well - after sitting in both, I find them pretty much the same.  I don't think the back-seat legroom is any better in the VW  than the Volvo.  And if you are not piling up cargo past the top of the seats .. not that much different there either

As for price .. the buyout on the V60 (after 2 years) was *less* than it was going to cost for a VW Comfortline with the sunroof-blind spot package (+ PDI)  And this doesn't count that the Volvo has Xenon headlights (and I've already paid for winter-wheels . .but that wouldn't factor into the decision of someone starting from scratch).  So - thanks to the heavy depreciation of a Volvo, you could probably get a 2-year old one at a price similar to a new VW... and the Volvo drives just as nice as the VW + more power.   I admit I that I have the "old-tech" engine/platform and that doesn't bother me a bit.

As to the Subaru 3.6.  I tested that as well.  Pulls much nicer than the VW but otherwise is a totally different driving experience.  It feels nothing like your GT.  You won't be taking on/off ramps at 2x speed.   I test-drove a used 2008 GT before taking the lease on the Volvo and that was a fun car (I was scared off by a less-than-stellar CarProof report). 

But .. yeah .. I don't know why I stick with wagons either when a Honda Fit would do me 95% of the time.  Even better .. a car-sharing service would do me 95% of the time. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 02:40:30 pm »
The Golf wagon is definitely on my list for the next one. The 1.8T and manual is engaging.

I'd prefer this though:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

ltruong

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »
The Golf wagon is definitely on my list for the next one. The 1.8T and manual is engaging.

I'd prefer this though:

YA!!!  I always go on VW  UK  and build them.!  such a nice car.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 04:20:12 pm »
Was driving by my local VW dealer and noticed an Alltrack out front so stopped to take a look. Have to say that I really like the looks of this thing.

Salesman said it isn't for sale as they will be using it for test drives so I will probably go for a spin next week to see what I think. He also said they have 2 GSW-4Motions (1 Tread and 1 Comfort) that still needed to be PDI'd.

Price on the (loaded) Alltrack was just below $40K making it so close to the R. Need more money so I can just have one of each.  :-\

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 07:15:03 pm »
As I mentioned in the first-dirve Alltrack thread - I took a spin in a non AWD VW wagon to to get my impression .. and felt the only significant difference (to me) compared to the V60 T5 was was that the VW ran out of breath way quicker for highway passing.  So you and I are pretty much on the same page there.

In terms of size / capacity etc .. you said the V60 is cramped.  Well - after sitting in both, I find them pretty much the same.  I don't think the back-seat legroom is any better in the VW  than the Volvo.  And if you are not piling up cargo past the top of the seats .. not that much different there either

As for price .. the buyout on the V60 (after 2 years) was *less* than it was going to cost for a VW Comfortline with the sunroof-blind spot package (+ PDI)  And this doesn't count that the Volvo has Xenon headlights (and I've already paid for winter-wheels . .but that wouldn't factor into the decision of someone starting from scratch).  So - thanks to the heavy depreciation of a Volvo, you could probably get a 2-year old one at a price similar to a new VW... and the Volvo drives just as nice as the VW + more power.   I admit I that I have the "old-tech" engine/platform and that doesn't bother me a bit.

As to the Subaru 3.6.  I tested that as well.  Pulls much nicer than the VW but otherwise is a totally different driving experience.  It feels nothing like your GT.  You won't be taking on/off ramps at 2x speed.   I test-drove a used 2008 GT before taking the lease on the Volvo and that was a fun car (I was scared off by a less-than-stellar CarProof report). 

But .. yeah .. I don't know why I stick with wagons either when a Honda Fit would do me 95% of the time.  Even better .. a car-sharing service would do me 95% of the time. 

Thanks for the insight here. I should elaborate: I do love the V60 - but used AWD models are still pricier than i'd like (understandable given how briefly the V60 has been on the market), and for the equivalent $ I could get some seriously high performance in a sedan like an S4 or even an S60 R-design. Also, given the V60's footpring, the cargo space just isn't as flexible as it ought to be, IMO, especially considering I would also buy the spare tire kit, which would further diminish cargo space.

That said, the V60's front seats are incredibly comfortable, and the engines do put out considerably more power than the VW, and the exterior styling is still gorgeous. So for those reasons alone, I still may come around to the V60. And I agree, there's nothing inherently wrong with "old tech" necessarily, especially if we're talking about the tried-and-true turbo'd inline-6 :)

I have driven a V60 T6 AWD and was really impressed; I suppose I should test drive a T5 AWD (5-cyl) and see if the power works for me, too.

Re: the Subaru, good to know re: the Outback - i guess I'll take a look at one when I can, and keep my expectations in check  ;)

Offline goodsonr

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2016, 06:48:27 pm »
And just to note . I re-read my post and probably came off more of a Volvo slappy than intended.  As mentioned in the other thread .. if I was starting from scratch between V60 and VW .. I'd probably go with VW as the price is sooo much better (new vs new) and the only real deficiency of VW compared to V60 is in the power dept.

But to waive the V60 flag a bit more  :) you don't lose room in the wagon with the spare tire . you can just throw it below the cover .. fits fine .. and I find the full-foldown of the middle of the back seat more useful than the VW passthru.  Also like the Volvo fold down front seat which I think is on euro version of VW but don't know about north america.

Either way .. Still firmly think the GSW AWD is the spiritual successor of the Subie Legacy wagons of old .. And if they did a GSW GTI . you  would have the vehicle you want to replace the GT.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2016, 02:14:11 pm »
And just to note . I re-read my post and probably came off more of a Volvo slappy than intended.  As mentioned in the other thread .. if I was starting from scratch between V60 and VW .. I'd probably go with VW as the price is sooo much better (new vs new) and the only real deficiency of VW compared to V60 is in the power dept.

But to waive the V60 flag a bit more  :) you don't lose room in the wagon with the spare tire . you can just throw it below the cover .. fits fine .. and I find the full-foldown of the middle of the back seat more useful than the VW passthru.  Also like the Volvo fold down front seat which I think is on euro version of VW but don't know about north america.

Either way .. Still firmly think the GSW AWD is the spiritual successor of the Subie Legacy wagons of old .. And if they did a GSW GTI . you  would have the vehicle you want to replace the GT.

Haha, honestly it's all good - and I should probably clarify that I am actually a huge Volvo fanboy as well, and of the V60 in particular. I've had the chance to drive a few and in spite what I may have suggested in previous posts, i love do love that car - a T6 R-design remains at the top of my list. It's just way out of my price range, and used AWD V60 T6's are scarcer than hen's teeth, so I find it easier to simply criticize the car and pretend it wouldn't be an awesome choice. ;) To your point, until the GTI or R sportwagen gets here (if ever), I think the V60 AWD is really the spiritual successor to the Legacy GT wagon.

Re: the spare tire - i did not know that and that's good news. What I'd read had suggested that the special cover for the spare tire kit actually raised the overall height of the trunk floor, thus diminishing cargo space, but I guess I got that wrong. And I do love the 40/20/40 split seat - agreed, it's far better than a mere pass-thru.

ltruong

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2016, 02:39:10 pm »
Quick comparison for starting price with leather.

Outback $36,095
Venza $34,447
sportwagen (not alltrack)  comfortline (leatherette) $28,745
sportwagen  highline leather $33,795
V60 $42,800

Entry level but with auto tranny

Vw 4motion dsg $26,045
outback cvt $29,299
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:47:31 pm by wongpong »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2016, 05:20:39 pm »
Quick comparison for starting price with leather.

Outback $36,095
Venza $34,447
sportwagen (not alltrack)  comfortline (leatherette) $28,745
sportwagen  highline leather $33,795
V60 $42,800

Entry level but with auto tranny

Vw 4motion dsg $26,045
outback cvt $29,299

The Outback competes with the AllTrack, not the regular, non-raised wagon!

ltruong

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2016, 11:32:31 am »
just noticed something.

On the Canadian VW site.  the Sportwagen  rates all trim line the same HWY mileage.  6.8L... The Highline only comes in AWD and is rated the same as the FWD.

on the USA site.  The FWD is rated 35mpg and 34mpg for the AWD. 

if it's the case that the sportwagen 4motion actually makes 34mpg instead of the previously mentioned 30...great!

http://vwmodels.ca/sportwagen/index.php#safety

http://www.vw.com/builder/tab/trim/model/golf-sportwagen/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2016, 12:01:14 pm »
I'd say the VW sites are wrong. EPA still says 30 MPG (US) which is 7.8 L/100.

Personally, I'm a little disappointed the 4M wagon gets the same f/e as the Golf R. Maybe VW is sandbagging the numbers for the wagon?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2016, 01:20:02 pm »
Somehow missed this thread...

I'd prefer this though:

Our hotel in Prague had two of these and they picked us up from the airport in one. It was a TDI 4motion automatic. The interior was very, very nice. Much like my GTI, just bigger. Lots of rear legroom. Really nice alcantara seats.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 12:16:34 pm »

- The DSG is quick…but the shifts don’t feel quite as immediate as a manual. I don’t know how to reconcile this with the fact that every journalist seems to insist DSG shifts faster than a human can. I should probably chalk at least some of this feeling up to my lack of familiarity with the gearshift layout; how and when to switch from ‘D’ to ’S’, and over to tiptronic mode.

- The handling was pretty impressive - it felt very planted,  even with the smallish 16’s. I took one highway on-ramp at twice the "appropriate" speed (at the salesman’s insistence, i should add ;)) and I could definnitely feel the AWD kicking in; the rear wheels working, keeping me from plowing or understeering. It was great - definitely had the impression that 4motion was not just a foul-weather safety net, but it had some performance chops, too. AWD in the Sportwagen costs $1600 and, if you like to drive, i’d say is an absolute no-brainer.

- the car felt peppy but not fast. It felt pretty torquey getting going, but seemed to run out of breath sooner that I would have liked or expected. I was surprised how much revving was required to extract the most power, considering the torque profile of the TSI. But I guess 185hp/199 torque will never feel “fast” per se. The GTI’s 2.0 could probably easily fix this. The R’s 2.0T even more so. Or maybe the smoother-than-smooth 3.6 VR6? Hmmmm. But bottom line: this AWD wagon variant is of course heavier than a FWD Golf, and if effortless speed is your thing, the 1.8T comes up a bit short.

- the base trim comes very well-equipped - it has absolutely everything I could want, save for the panoramic roof.

- i love that this car comes with a spare tire

- I love that this car comes with a manual handbrake

- It would be great to have the option of sports seats with a bit more bolstering and support.

- I didn’t even switch on the infotainment system; I knew it would be easily lightyears ahead of my 2006 Subaru.

The car lived up to my expectations: it felt very solid, well built, surefooted, well-equipped, and ever-so-slightly underpowered. I know an APR flash would possibly solve this, but a) if i were leasing, that would be a no-no, and b) I like the idea of having a car that is fast right out of the box.

If you have access to another car or motorcycle for your thrills, then I don’t think there’s a better all-rounder, dollar-for-dollar, than the 4motion Sportwagen. But if this is your do-it-all enthusiast car, you m ay want something with a bit more shove.

Great car, but for me, i will probably keep looking.

The Trendline GSW has the 16" wheels from the Golf Comfortline.

GSW Comfortline has exclusive 17" wheels, and through a pkg you can get the pano roof.

GSW Highline gets the 18" wheels from the Golf Highline option pkg, and here you get sports seats that are basically leather GTI seats.

As for sound, the std VW setup is ok, the Fender option is really nice, and a clock radio will be light years ahead of your Subaru head unit  ;)
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 12:34:51 pm »
- It would be great to have the option of sports seats with a bit more bolstering and support.

Both the Golf Highline and the Alltrack have the same seats as the GTI minus the red stitching.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2016, 05:47:18 pm »
Car and Driver tested the 4motion wagon and it did 0-60 in seven seconds flat. An Outback 3.6R took 7.1 seconds.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2016, 05:57:28 pm »
I've driven an Outback 3.6....certainly didn't feel like it had an excess of power.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »
Car and Driver tested the 4motion wagon and it did 0-60 in seven seconds flat. An Outback 3.6R took 7.1 seconds.

yeah the DCT helps it immensely - either that or it has a defeat device that increases horsepower under hard acceleration which would explain how a 170hp engine can match performance #s of a 250hp engine.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1141
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2016, 09:32:18 pm »
VW, the Lance Armstrong of the car industry.. :P

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2016, 09:36:47 pm »
VW, the Lance Armstrong of the car industry.. :P

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

That said 7 seconds for a turbo'ed up motor with a DCT doesn't sound too crazy. Its definitely quick for that power level but with beefy torque, fast shifts, less driveline loss than an autobox, correct gearing and lets face it its probably a bit underrated at 170, its mostly believable.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2016, 11:17:35 pm »

yeah the DCT helps it immensely - either that or it has a defeat device that increases horsepower under hard acceleration which would explain how a 170hp engine can match performance #s of a 250hp engine.

It likely produces close to 170 hp at the wheels and is 350 lbs lighter.  VW / Audi  / Porsche all underrate their motors.  Unlike say... Ford or Hyundai.

Yeah, makes sense...I guess we'll find out in a few months if under rating a motor also means being non compliant...certainly interesting that adding a DCT improved performance numbers by almost a whole 1s!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk