Author Topic: [NEW] I need help trying to find a new car to buy under $30k!  (Read 15045 times)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: [NEW] I need help trying to find a new car to buy under $30k!
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
It is a must for me! Can you imagine if you were in the middle of an emergency - e.g. Taking somebody to the emergency room, etc - and your car gets stuck?

Didn't realize Civics came in awd.  Who new?

yeah... and mustangs...

anywho, that debate is continual... if winters are assumed, awd trumps the fwd, but isn't a necessity. as posted previously, it's a "nice to have" option.

how was the subaru not mentioned earlier?... but i guess we started on cars, so why start bringing every model built into this... just gets confusing.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Jadenrock5

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Dodge Caravan
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2016, 04:59:14 pm »
Hello everyone, I don't know if anyone really cares about what we've found so far and whatnot, but I don't care I want to put a little update anyways :)

We visited aloot of dealerships and test drove alot of cars, we're going to continue doing so. Taking our time in this was probably the best idea (even tho today is the last legal day we're allowed to drive our current car) considering this is our first time really buying a car.

We've looked at the following so far.

Hyundai Tuscan (we'll also probably see the Santa Fe because we heard that the Tuscan had lots of issues.)
Honda CR-V
Honda Accord
Ford Escape (we haven't had a serious look at this but we heard good things about it).
Nissan Rouge
Nissan Altima
Toyota Rav4
Toyota Camry
Jeep Cherokee

And now after I write this, we're on our way to look at the Subaru.

We're mainly focusing on SUV's just because most of them are AWD and it's something that we're used to so we haven't taken any serious look at those sedans except for the Accord. We've never had any sedan so we don't really know how well they are in the winter and SUV's just are more comfortable for us in that sense.
We also learnt alot by taking our time not only about the vehicles but also the prices, insurance, differences, safety and also found out what we really want in a car.

I'd love to hear more opinions on cars and winter. Like would the accord really be that bad during the winter compared to the CRV. Someone made a good point of all vehicles now having traction control & being fitted for this sort of weather we get here.

Yes some of these cars are beyond our price range but at the end of the day we actually got alot of them down to very close prices to each other so the only real thing standing in our is what car we want and what is best for us.

Only thing we can't move around in terms of price is insurance on these vehicles which can be quiet expensive sometimes.

Thank you all for your opinions because we pretty much took alot from this thread even if we didn't reply or comment to some of them.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 05:00:49 pm by Jadenrock5 »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2016, 05:41:55 pm »
even tho today is the last legal day we're allowed to drive our current car

Do share.  :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2016, 06:37:37 pm »
i bet it's an etest thing... failed and the sticker is expired... do i win?!

all that is different from a fwd sedan to a fwd cuv is the height... just because it has a hatch and sits an inch higher doesn't make it magically better on snow/ice. so that being said, it is just the awd that improves traction from a standstill (and in some models/circumstances at other times)... it's not the difference between bambi and a tank on the ice... so don't write it off...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2016, 09:12:38 am »
The advantages of AWD aren't seen in the GTA as much as they would in other areas of the country that get a lot more snow/ice.   I have a van, and a sedan.  The small advantage I see with the van is the ground clearance.  In major snowfalls (the 2 or 3 we get in the GTA), I take the van as it tracks through the snow better.  Like a Forester? No.  Go to a mall, and see how many mid-size sedans you can find.  They are the minority nowadays.  But still, remain the best value.  Cheaper to insure than a compact (in most cases), not sure compared to SUV's (haven't had the need to buy one).  The Camry, Mazda6, Fusion are much cheaper to insure than an Accord.  Best to get a few online quotes for a few models in the class you are considering. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2016, 03:09:40 pm »
AWD is also great in a rain storm when you driving a pickup if you have no weight in the box

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2016, 03:49:04 pm »
AWD is also great in a rain storm when you driving a pickup if you have no weight in the box

Yeah probably.  But I was thinking of the OP.  I drove a 4x2 about once a week.  Still yet to have a problem with traction.  Actually, just once at a farmhouse that wasn't plowed, tons of ice everywhere.  No winters on the truck either.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2016, 09:56:25 pm »
Does the AWD requirement depend on type of vehicle? For cars (Civic, Altima) it seems FWD is viable, but less so for SUVs (CRV, Rogue). Strangely, demand for AWD on minivans seems low.

I've found in the minivan the long wheelbase + weight means it doesn't really get stuck. I have taken the Odyssey out on terrible days (with Blizzak WS80s) and had no trouble in 15+cm snow

Offline Jadenrock5

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Dodge Caravan
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2016, 01:45:19 pm »
even tho today is the last legal day we're allowed to drive our current car

Do share.  :)

i bet it's an etest thing... failed and the sticker is expired... do i win?!

It was the E-Test. We took the car out for an e-test it failed. To repair it is too much, and there are some mechanically wrong things with the car such as the brakes and transmission that need to be fixed. The right passenger door is so badly damaged it has air come in when we drive and during the winter it's even worse. All together the car would take about $2,498 to fix (this is with no guaranty it will pass the etest) for the urgent repairs and other repairs probably over $3,000.

We got stickers twice and they both expired only way to make it legal now is through a conditional pass.

Also quick update:

2017 Hyundai Santa Fe (2.4l and 2.0T are both on the list)
2016 Hyundai Tuscan Ultimate
2016 Nissan Rogue SL Premium.

We will probably make the decision today :)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2016, 02:02:42 pm »
Has the Santa Fe changed that much in the last couple of years? Sister in law has a 2014 with the 2.4L, check the used prices on 2-3 year old model.

This is almost $10k cheaper than a new one

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/Santa+Fe+Sport/Vaughan/Ontario/5_28160716_ON20071122094817577/?ursrc=pl&urp=8&urm=8&showcpo=ShowCPO

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2016, 01:46:18 pm »
Has the Santa Fe changed that much in the last couple of years? Sister in law has a 2014 with the 2.4L, check the used prices on 2-3 year old model.

This is almost $10k cheaper than a new one

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Hyundai/Santa+Fe+Sport/Vaughan/Ontario/5_28160716_ON20071122094817577/?ursrc=pl&urp=8&urm=8&showcpo=ShowCPO

2017 update has some added standard features and difference front end.

OP, what did you end up with?