Author Topic: First Drive: 2013 Buick Encore  (Read 20164 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2013 Buick Encore
« on: February 22, 2013, 06:31:23 am »

Buick fills their small SUV lineup gap with an Encore performance.

Read More...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12331
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
Re: First Drive: 2013 Buick Encore
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2013, 06:58:55 am »
Whatever other attributes it might possess, I could never get past the awkward, bulbous proportions of this fugly little porker.  Regal and Verano are both handsome rides.  Even the (shall we say, voluptuos?) Enclave carries its corpulet curves with a certain grace.  This inelegant blob, however, is a complete aesthetic fail.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:51:45 am »
It does look pretty porky.......sort of distorted.  Almost like the reflection from one of those mirrors in a midway funhouse.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 08:26:18 am »
Encore "boasts a 5.1-metre turning radius"? Unbelievable! Normal vehicles need roughly twice more...I don't buy it!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2013, 09:10:09 am »
Whatever other attributes it might possess, I could never get past the awkward, bulbous proportions of this fugly little porker.  Regal and Verano are both handsome rides.  Even the (shall we say, voluptuos?) Enclave carries its corpulet curves with a certain grace.  This inelegant blob, however, is a complete aesthetic fail.

:iagree:

For some of Buick's latest successes in design, this one just doesn't pass muster. I understand auto companies wanting to stay within a distinctive look but this variation with items like the side vents just fails. It's like they made a clay model and approved it, then did not notice it was left under hot lights and had another team put it into production after it had morphed.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:15:21 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 09:14:27 am »
Encore "boasts a 5.1-metre turning radius"? Unbelievable! Normal vehicles need roughly twice more...I don't buy it!

radius...not diameter?

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 09:35:49 am »

radius...not diameter?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2013, 09:42:41 am »
   Great little car. Bit higher and probably easier entry and exit...love it. I like this chunky little car and it's Chev brother and personally would consider against the Subaru Xtrek...why...well I like the Subaru but don't need AWD, never have and don't need the complication now. Hopefully this vehicle can be had with decent trim 2WD. Personally I think that these vehicles have a great future and don't consider myself to be a wimp or other and nothing wrong with either. I dreamed about sports cars 50 years ago...been there, done that; some never did. Years of camping with kids and carrying dogs and canoes and towing tent trailers have tempered tastes in favour of vehicles that can do stuff. Now, something that my wife and I can enter and exit with a modicum of grace and still do stuff...less of it required, is just what the doctor ordered. Notice that the Chev version came in at below $20,000 to start with and that is good but should be with auto tranny if it is not. The same low interest rates that encouraged two car garage new houses for some, have ravaged the growth management of once viable RRIFs and for many this is a worry. These folk are probably would be customers here and possibly a serious demographic to aim for...baby boomers.
   A sports car to me was an open soft top of whatever mark and many sensible youngsters never see a need to travel with bum cheeks only six inches (15 1/4 cm. if you have to) off the ground. If it goes on the 'straight' highway with reasonable aplomb it will do well.
   A few things...and not cribbing... I like a bigger speedo with auto tranny and the Kia vehicles seem to do this...bigger dia central speedo with smaller Tach...well you know. Not a deal breaker. Also a hatch review needs a photo with rear seats folded. Lower price versions should be available with just visual appeal options like wheels and trim not tied to other extras. Better to have the whole fleet look great. I like it a 'great deal'...(my best rating)...and I am a Chrysler fan.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:47:01 am by Rupert »

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 09:43:01 am »
Since Buick is trying to move it's brand more premium to compete better with Acura, Lexus, and maybe VW a little bit.  Wouldn't it make sense to use the engine from the Verano.  As Encore is based on the Trax, but just has more features and nice materials.  Another reason to move to the premium brand is to get a smoother engine, with a little more power.  The Verano was excecuted correctly, when it used the Cruze platform but used a different engine.   So it's more than just re-badging....

I sat in this at the AutoShow, and it wasn't roped off!  Seems pretty good in person, roomy enough for 4.  At least GM let you sit in the Impala and the Encore at the AutoShow, the Corvette I can forgive....But the cruze diesel should have been there!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 09:44:52 am »
whether you like the looks or not, this thing already has a bunch of pre-orders lined up at our dealership. Young suburban couples / empty nesters are eating these things up. Really is a nice place to be with the leather and goodies inside, and you get used to its proportions. I admit it looks like a squished Buick, because it is, but It will sell well is damn easy to park. Now whether it is any useful as a utility vehicle is another story, but that really isnt the point of this thing...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 09:47:25 am »
i don't mind the looks of this, and i'm not gay. ;D

not everyone needs seating for 12, but still wants some nice features and AWD...i think this vehicle looks to be a pretty decent offering...sure, $32k is getting up there, but so does everything else in this class when you option it up to the nines...that recently reviewed loaded up Sportage was almost $40k, albeit it was more powerful (and maybe a little larger?)...either, i think this is a nice little CUV.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:50:20 am by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 09:56:02 am »
If you sell enough, the chunkiness will become accepted and desirable.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 10:09:02 am »
Buick is trying to differentiate itself...it sounds like near-silence in the cabin is the way they're going.  If you're an audiophile, a Buick may be a great buy for you!

Still, knowing that I'm getting a silenced Trax would remind me that I'm buying a lump of Chevy Sh!t with a makeover.  On the other hand, I'm fairly impressed with the packaging, interior ambience, and the price isn't outrageous.

Let's see if the real-world fuel economy is going to suck like is the case of most small-displacement turbos that aren't powerful enough...3200lbs is a lot of Encore to haul - 100lbs more than the Cruze that struggles with the same motor.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2013, 10:15:53 am »
I think (am I?) the guys are right about my rush reaction - it is a radius, not diameter...

Offline Lesley

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-47
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 97 Dodge Dakota "The Mighty Dak", 92 Mazda MX3 KLZE, 92 Mazda 323 winter beater
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2013, 11:46:20 am »
Taste is definitely subjective – but it is cute in a piggy sort of way.
It's well put together, so if you're looking for a crossover the size of a Matrix, it might be for you. It's really easy to negotiate downtown Toronto traffic in something this size.
If I can't drive 'em... I'll draw 'em!

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2108
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2013, 11:52:10 am »
Maybe my mom would consider one as a replacement for her SX4....I dont like the looks of it and the weenie engine really kills it.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Soram6275

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +11/-31
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 VW CC
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2013, 12:20:16 pm »
It is a little feminine for my taste, but I actually like this little thing.  It is piggy-cute.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-231
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 12:33:11 pm »
Since Buick is trying to move it's brand more premium to compete better with Acura, Lexus, and maybe VW a little bit.  Wouldn't it make sense to use the engine from the Verano.  As Encore is based on the Trax, but just has more features and nice materials.  Another reason to move to the premium brand is to get a smoother engine, with a little more power.  The Verano was excecuted correctly, when it used the Cruze platform but used a different engine.   So it's more than just re-badging....

I sat in this at the AutoShow, and it wasn't roped off!  Seems pretty good in person, roomy enough for 4.  At least GM let you sit in the Impala and the Encore at the AutoShow, the Corvette I can forgive....But the cruze diesel should have been there!

The engine choices may have to do with the fact that the Trax / Encore / Mokka triplets use the Sonic's platform, plus what is available at the Korean assembly location.  The Sonic was designed to receive the 1.4t from the start; the Verano's 2.4 might be too much iron for the platform.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +99/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2013, 12:35:33 pm »
GM has a 1.6 Turbo in the Opel do they not?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +168/-231
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2013, 12:39:51 pm »
     ...Also a hatch review needs a photo with rear seats folded.

Pics are there in the Gallery - various seat configs on display.