Author Topic: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: "Driving Matters"  (Read 7218 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: "Driving Matters"
« on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:27 pm »

Driving Matters. Yes, Mazda, it does... it really does.

Read More...

Northernridge

Re: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: \
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 07:38:19 pm »
Interesting piece. Not sure how broad the appeal will be but I think this is a good approach for Mazda, especially for the Miata. Interesting the video is targeted to men...slightly older family guys at that. I see they've suppressed Skyactiv in this campaign...another good idea.

I think one of Mazda's core weaknesses has been marketing for a long time. This is a step in the right direction. What is Mazda really about? Affordable style and driving IMO.

One risk will be that not enough people care about driving.

BTW – Ronnie, your sensibilities are well suited to write about car advertising and marketing...you should do it more.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:43:31 pm by Northernridge »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 07:44:55 pm »
I don't think they needed to use the Miata in the campaign.  You could put wheels on a box full of dog turd, and the Miata faithful would buy it.

The problem is getting people to buy pretty much every other car in the lineup in numbers.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 07:50:57 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 07:46:10 pm »
never experienced suburban Middle America life

So you are saying this ad is targeted towards people who live in the suburbs of Middle America?

Does that mean me?  Or anyone else who owns a Mazda on this forum?  Especially a Miata??

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 07:59:45 pm »
I don't think they needed to use the Miata in the campaign.  You could put wheels on a box full of dog turd, and the Miata faithful would buy it.

The problem is getting people to buy pretty much every other car in the lineup in numbers.

It's an old trick...we sometimes call it the silver bullet strategy. Promote the one product that's a winner and try to paint the whole brand with it. It's exactly what Mazda did originally with the zoom zoom campaign.

I thought they might emphasize style a little more.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 08:04:11 pm »

It's an old trick...we sometimes call it the silver bullet strategy. Promote the one product that's a winner and try to paint the whole brand with it. It's exactly what Mazda did originally with the zoom zoom campaign.

I thought they might emphasize style a little more.

In models past, they put style on the backburner.  Remember the whole smiley face styling? Was awful.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:24:54 pm »
What is the answer?
(42) Miata.
My dream car. Just me and the wife driving down the coast from Vancouver to LA.
First need to get the kid out of the house and she just told me that she will never ever move out  :stick:

Northernridge

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 08:27:57 pm »
What is the answer?
(42) Miata.
First need to get the kid out of the house and she just told me that she will never ever move out  :stick:

You are the guy in their video.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2015, 08:54:34 pm »
What is the answer?
(42) Miata.

You are the guy in their video.

I wish

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2015, 09:00:31 pm »

Too bad she's not in charge, eh?   ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2015, 10:00:39 pm »
Looks good and Mazda has and will spend a bundle to change its identity but it won't work. Drivers are not the buying public.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: "Driving Matters"
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2015, 10:20:04 pm »
Zoom zoom worked 'cause it was catchy even to non enthusiasts. Mazda can make awesome cars, but their identity is unclear in some ways. They're seeing the light with the CX-5 in that they have a mass appeal product that also sells to the old core Mazda customer.   I think once people get to the dealer they see some great stuff. Mazdas challenge is to get people to the dealers.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: Mazda zooms in with new company slogan: "Driving Matters"
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:00 pm »
Zoom zoom worked 'cause it was catchy even to non enthusiasts. Mazda can make awesome cars, but their identity is unclear in some ways. They're seeing the light with the CX-5 in that they have a mass appeal product that also sells to the old core Mazda customer.   I think once people get to the dealer they see some great stuff. Mazdas challenge is to get people to the dealers.

I've never owned a Mazda so I have no idea what they are like, so in that regard along with the rest of clueless consumers I rely on the image created by various forms of mass media and networks. And that is the "affordable BMW" with better reliability. I suppose what they are doing is working.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2015, 10:31:53 pm »
I love this ad.

In models past, they put style on the backburner.  Remember the whole smiley face styling? Was awful.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »
^^I hate you for ruining my dinner!   ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2015, 11:02:19 pm »
My friend hated the "guppy face" on his Mazda 3 BL. It doesn't help his vehicle was registered in a state with a front plate requirement.

I think brand marketing consistency matters. BMW tried to move away from "The Ultimate Driving Machine" not too long ago to better align with the corporate "Joy of Driving" mantra. Didn't work for Americans used to "The Ultimate Driving Machine". So they went back.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2015, 12:39:19 am »
It seems pretty weak and generic. Zoom-zoom was catchy and memorable.

I'm not sure it really works either if a prospective buyer tries a Mazda6 looking for something sporty then looks at a turbo Fusion or V6 Accord. The same with the Mazda3, compared to a Focus ST or VW GTI.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:57:00 am by Sir Osis of Liver »
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2015, 12:45:49 am »
Zoom zoom
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 12:48:46 am by ssarachie »

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 01:10:59 am »

So you are saying this ad is targeted towards people who live in the suburbs of Middle America?

Does that mean me?  Or anyone else who owns a Mazda on this forum?  Especially a Miata??

I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion.

I was referring to the clearly American culture depicted in the video. I hesitate to say it but the truth is... it was very... white. It had nothing to do with Mazdas. I love Mazdas. I'd be just as happy to see a bunch of people from all different walks of life DRIVING their Mazdas with big smiles on their face. I'm not sure WHO the ad is targeting, I just know what I see and how it made me feel as an Asian immigrant.

I think anyone, anywhere in the world, on this forum or not who buys a Mazda knows quality at a damn good price. People who have owned Mazdas get it. They're awesome to drive and every single one of them evokes emotion in me.

Solstice2006: It's pretty clear you like to find something to challenge or poke at in articles I write. I wonder if it's just that I rub you the wrong way, or if you truly don't understand what I write. It's strange to me. It almost seems like you're deliberately trolling me.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:32:56 am by ronniefung »
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2015, 07:47:40 am »

I'm not quite sure how you came to that conclusion.

I was referring to the clearly American culture depicted in the video. I hesitate to say it but the truth is... it was very... white. It had nothing to do with Mazdas. I love Mazdas. I'd be just as happy to see a bunch of people from all different walks of life DRIVING their Mazdas with big smiles on their face. I'm not sure WHO the ad is targeting, I just know what I see and how it made me feel as an Asian immigrant.

I think anyone, anywhere in the world, on this forum or not who buys a Mazda knows quality at a damn good price. People who have owned Mazdas get it. They're awesome to drive and every single one of them evokes emotion in me.

Solstice2006: It's pretty clear you like to find something to challenge or poke at in articles I write. I wonder if it's just that I rub you the wrong way, or if you truly don't understand what I write. It's strange to me. It almost seems like you're deliberately trolling me.

Every author style is unique, I find some easier to understand what they are trying to say.  Some (like yours) I find a bit more challenging, which is why I ask.  It's not a challenge, or dislike, or troll.  Just trying to figure out what you mean by some of your statements.  I am sorry if you feel that I dislike your writing, but that not that case.  Keep it up.... ;)