Author Topic: TESLA Model S  (Read 310948 times)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
Re: TESLA Model S
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2015, 01:40:49 pm »
Can't be good for the recharge motors

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:48 pm »
^^^ IDK. The same motor(s) working backwards. He says he asked the truck driver to tow him for 20km. It could be the same as driving off the mountain top for the same distance. Besides, there must be levels of overheat/ load protection in the motor and battery.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
20Km wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I was just wondering if they aren't meant to run backwards at that speed.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2015, 03:44:06 pm »
20Km wouldn't be too bad.

Yeah I was just wondering if they aren't meant to run backwards at that speed.

They are technically running forward, only thing that changes is the DC current direction.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +313/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: April 11, 2015, 12:33:42 am »
I've seen the energy chart of a Tesla Model S being driven out of the rocky mountains towards Calgary and the regeneration went on for 5 km without any issue.  Being towed is the same thing.

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: April 13, 2015, 01:24:26 am »
I've seen the energy chart of a Tesla Model S being driven out of the rocky mountains towards Calgary and the regeneration went on for 5 km without any issue.  Being towed is the same thing.

It would be interesting to see the chart for a Tesla descending the Mt. Seymour road on Vancouver's North Shore.  3000' descent in 12km.  It by far exceeds the capacity of a hybrid's battery.
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2015, 10:39:33 pm »
The Tesla can recharge from supercharger at 135kW when battery is between 10-40% state of charge which takes 10 minutes and then tapers down to 90kW to 70% for another ten minutes, then tapers to 50kW at near 90% for another 15 minutes.

So, if regeneration is less than that many kW, you could regen for 30 minutes at 50kW no problem.

My Smart ED has maximum regen of around 25kW, less than half of the Tesla, due to a much smaller battery.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 14, 2015, 07:46:44 pm »

the question is, where are all these supercharging stations? i don't see any in downtown toronto.

Maps (Type Toronto in the box or clicks on the maps below on that same page)
http://www.teslamotors.com/supercharger

List
http://www.teslamotors.com/findus/list/superchargers/Canada
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 07:58:52 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #288 on: April 15, 2015, 04:55:33 pm »
Not much chance of driving across Canada then without many overnight stops.   I'll stick to ICE.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #289 on: April 15, 2015, 05:03:21 pm »
Well you'd need overnight stops to get across Canada in any case...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 15, 2015, 05:15:22 pm »

Huh?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #291 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:09 pm »

Not much chance of driving across Canada then without many overnight stops.   I'll stick to ICE.
  ??? ??? ???

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #292 on: April 15, 2015, 06:45:29 pm »

if you can only do 2-300 kms between charges you'd end up stopping overnight far more often that you would in a gasoline powered car.  Many superchargers along the Trans Canada would solve this.    Maybe motels and restaurants  along should be putting 240V chargers outside their rooms as a marketing tool...easy enough to work out the costs and put the room rate up 1$ or so.  A 50% charge while having lunch and a full charge overnight would certainly remove range anxiety most of the time.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 16, 2015, 09:46:24 pm »

LOL!!!  You're kidding right?  I'll add this to my list of EV meme's.  Thanks for the humour!

Meanwhile, thousands of km on my Smart Electric Drive, it's always fully fuelled every morning, and running like clockwork.
Shame I can't drive it across country.   HAR HAR

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #294 on: April 17, 2015, 04:03:19 pm »

LOL!!!  You're kidding right?  I'll add this to my list of EV meme's.  Thanks for the humour!

Meanwhile, thousands of km on my Smart Electric Drive, it's always fully fuelled every morning, and running like clockwork.
Shame I can't drive it across country.   HAR HAR

So how many km away from home have you managed to get it in one day?
Have you driven it across the country, or are you actually laughing at the thought of trying?
Mr Pickypants

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 17, 2015, 08:26:23 pm »
Have you driven it across the country, or are you actually laughing at the thought of trying?

Driven 150km in a day, with a light recharge in the middle.

Driven thousands of trouble free km without any range issues, I knew what my usual trips were, and didn't need or want more range for my commute or side trips.

I was laughing at the guy who keeps making up reasons people shouldn't consider an EV, the latest reason that you can't drive across country in one is laughable.  Freakin' hilarious!

I guess I shouldn't have bought my bicycle because it wouldn't work well in the winter...or bought my roller blades because they might be more work to skate uphill...or bought my electric lawn mower considering I have 1 acre of grass to mow in the city...or ...

FUD

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1142
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #296 on: May 12, 2015, 02:16:52 pm »
Quote from Car and Driver: The car of the century, now updated with more power and AWD.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review

Me want so much... :drool: :drool:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #297 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:34 am »

Driven thousands of trouble free km without any range issues, I knew what my usual trips were, and didn't need or want more range for my commute or side trips.

I was laughing at the guy who keeps making up reasons people shouldn't consider an EV, the latest reason that you can't drive across country in one is laughable.  Freakin' hilarious!

I guess I shouldn't have bought my bicycle because it wouldn't work well in the winter...or bought my roller blades because they might be more work to skate uphill...or bought my electric lawn mower considering I have 1 acre of grass to mow in the city...or ...

FUD

So you're laughing at the guy who said there might be problems driving an EV across the country in a timely fashion, but the farthest you've gotten out of yours in a day is 150km.  You kind of prove his point.
EV's have their advantages, but at the moment it isn't in driving across Canada.

Next month I'm driving to NB to visit my mom, it's 1300km one way. 
How many days would it take me if I had a Smart EV?
Can it tow my trailer and motorcycles?   
Can I put a hitch on a Tesla?
 ;D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #298 on: May 13, 2015, 10:48:29 am »

FUD

So you're laughing at the guy who said there might be problems driving an EV across the country in a timely fashion, but the farthest you've gotten out of yours in a day is 150km.  You kind of prove his point.
EV's have their advantages, but at the moment it isn't in driving across Canada.

Next month I'm driving to NB to visit my mom, it's 1300km one way. 
How many days would it take me if I had a Smart EV?
Can it tow my trailer and motorcycles?   
Can I put a hitch on a Tesla?
 ;D
I could not even drive an EV to Ottawa if you went 45 to 7, no charging station on the way

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 13, 2015, 11:56:10 am »
The big news here is a pair of 257-hp (Tesla’s before-the-transmission rating, the post-gearbox rating is 329 combined horsepower)

so 2x 257 = 514hp, reduced to 329 combined?

My understanding is that the Tesla "transmission" essentially has one forward speed, which should result in lower losses. Yet we have a 36% loss nonetheless whereas typical AWD cars have around 20-25% I believe through much more complex planetary gearsets.

Maybe it is something to do with how the "combining" is done?

In any case perhaps there are gains to be had simply from a more efficient transmission...that said its not a given that losses are approximately constant at all power levels. Perhaps losses are only 10% at typical driving loads.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!