Author Topic: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences  (Read 110003 times)

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Elantra GT
Re: Corrosion Free's Rustproofing Experiences
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 09:57:50 pm »
Don't bother going back, that "treatment" is useless.  We used that same "WAX OIL" type application at our Toyota store for years.  I had my son spraying on Saturdays and he hit the exact same spots vis-a-vis your photos.  It does dry yellow like that particularly on a white car.  Eventually, we torn down the building we used to spray to build another store and sent customers down to Krown.  Currently we sell "electronic" corrosion protection which is actually an insurance product.  No mess.  High gross.  :)

Hopefully you haven't paid in full.  Go find a Krown store
Woah.... Are you saying I did not get the Corrosion Free and some wax alternative? I I paid for Corrosion Free

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 11:14:09 pm »
OK, Crappy Tire sells the Corrosion Free sh*t in a can next to the "Rust Check" brand.  Go buy one and spray those areas in your photos and compare.   Then you'll be in a better position when talking to the Crappy guys.

Corrosion Free is just another drip less variant of the "wax oil" type sprays.  It's a thiner grease of some type like them all.  Remove your door panel, trunk liner, or truck deck liner and see how utterly useless they are.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 11:30:48 am »
Where the tech sprayed the stuff, in visible places, I'd just wipe it off, and it will leave adequate protection with the thinner coat of film. As far as Krown, I'm gonna post a video of what my '84 K5 Blazer looks like 3 years in. There's ZERO residue in the wheel wells.

I made a video at the shop that applied it, as being sprayed, and as mentioned in a previous post, and after a couple weeks, it was NON EXISTANT!

I will be coating it with Fluid Film, and I wish I had the time to sandblast the rust off, but that would be a whole days job, and I don't have the time!

I also question the amount of time techs spend applying ANY product! It took me 10 hours  to do each of my Suburbans. I remove tailamp lenses, grille etc, and spray way more than any paid person would have the time or patience for.

I have posted vids of my work in previous posts.

Offline safristi

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +471/-416
    • View Profile
  • Cars: since the beginning of Saf timeLOTUS ELAN,STANDARD... 10, MG midget, MGB (2),Mazda Millennia,Hyundai Veloster and 1997 Ford Ranger 2014 Subaru Forester XT
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2012, 11:48:58 am »
 ::) I'll pay ya $100 to spend 10 hours "RUST PROOFING with a 10 year guarantee" on my next KAR.............. :P ;D
Time is to stop everything happening at once

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2012, 08:22:43 pm »
Got a few calls today from Jeff at Corrosion Free. He tells me that this was NOT Corrosion Free that Canadian Tire in Ajax applied to my car. He called the service manager there and complained for me.

Now I have another issue...how to I get this grease that Canadian Tire applied to my car off safely? The Canadian Tire manager told the Corrosion Free guy that they just put it on the doors (as in my pics), but I also know it got applied to the bottom of the car (at least partially), because I saw the same brown grease around my wheel wells.

Or should that grease they put on there just be left on? I thought grease in general is bad for seals, gaskets, etc.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
You can't remove that wax oil type crap as per your pics.  It's harmless though.  Usually it's not applied to the under carriage.  You need to look and see what they applied to the bottom.  If it's not a new vehicle it gets hard to see unless it's the black paint stuff.

Did you get your money back?   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 08:58:30 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2012, 09:03:04 pm »
You can't remove that wax oil type crap as per your pics.  It's harmless though.  Usually it's not applied to the under carriage.  You need to look and see what they applied to the bottom.  If it's not a new vehicle it gets hard to see unless it's the black paint stuff.

Did you get your money back?   
I have not gone back yet. Will get a refund, and ask they remove the crap. I wonder if its on the bottom of the car as i saw the same stuff on the wheel wells.

Car is about 1 month old.

SUBURBAN!

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2012, 09:09:12 pm »
I had a few of my vehicles, (all from out west), grease treated, and some of the rubber is susceptible to swelling. None swelled on my '84 Suburban, but a whole bunch did on my '93 Hyundai. The reason is because grease contains solvents, and the animal based product I use now doesn't. Sorta like cholesterol.

I posted enuff pix earlier, so I won't torture you guys w more pix.

As far as the grease on the undercarriage, I wouldn't worry about it. It's the door and hood seals that swell, and generally not the hollow extrusions type found around doors and trunk. it's the thin "leaf" style ones...

I'll post some pix I just took, and the rear hatch seal IS swelled... Hmmm... anyways, I don't use the grease/solvent product anymore...
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:11:15 pm by SUBURBAN! »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »
Chris, it does not come off.  They would do more damage trying to remove it than leaving it on.  It's useless, but it's harmless.

For this year only, do yourself a favour and go to Krown.  It's the only stuff that has a chance of getting under that wax oil.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2012, 09:15:07 pm »
Chris, it does not come off.  They would do more damage trying to remove it than leaving it on.  It's useless, but it's harmless.

For this year only, do yourself a favour and go to Krown.  It's the only stuff that has a chance of getting under that wax oil.

Brake cleaner would take it off....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2012, 12:16:21 am »

The stuff looks terrible. I still want to see a picture of the label of the stuff they used so that I can be sure it won't damage my paint. Otherwise, it seems to wipe off with a clean dry cloth no problem.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1252/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2012, 12:23:00 am »

The stuff looks terrible. I still want to see a picture of the label of the stuff they used so that I can be sure it won't damage my paint. Otherwise, it seems to wipe off with a clean dry cloth no problem.

LOL...it doesn't damage paint.  Relax.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2012, 12:36:05 am »

You're lucky it's cold out and the stuff has not yet dried.

If it's that easy to remove then power spray those areas and under the car as best you can and then STAY OUT OF CRAPPY TIRE AUTO SERVICE FOREVER which ultimately falls on you.  :)

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2012, 04:20:36 pm »
So I have talked to the guys at Corrosion Free again today and here is what is up:

1. The yellow stuff is supposed to be the canned Rust Check off the shelf. Canadian Tire guy ran out of the Corrosion Free, so they went to the shelf and used the cheapst stuff they could get, the Rust Check.

2. I had a friend put the car up on a hoist this am for me to have a look. They did what looks to be about 1/2 the bottom of my car; the other half looks dry. Looks like a mix of Corrosion Free, and Rust Check (clear stuff in some places, and dripping Rust Check in most places...looks like barely any Corrosion Free was used). I have video and pics to show.

3. Corrosion Free offered to send me to Robinson's to get the old stuff taken off and Corrosion Free done properly, but it was too far away for me to do this. As an alternative, Corrosion Free will meet me at Canadian Tire this Saturday afternoon, where the Corrosion Free guy will fix this himself. I get to be there the whole time, and Canadian Tire guys will not touch the car...we will just be using their equipment. The Corrosion Free guy seemed genuinely eager to fix this and he will do it himself.

I prefer not to even go near Canadian Tire, but this seems most convenient for me. I am happy as long as we don't have to have a Canadian Tire guy touch my car, and I get to see the process.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »
1. The yellow stuff is supposed to be the canned Rust Check off the shelf.

Rust Check in the can is not that sticky yellow wax oil type stuff.  It's as thin as WD 40 and is pink. Drips like Krown. The Crappy guys are just lying to you.

So how much money are you out so far?

I don't think much of the product because it doesn't automatize well enough to reach all places.  Moreover, any company that partners with Crappy knows that in the end customers will be ripped off.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkTpGrTrftw

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2012, 06:40:55 pm »
1. The yellow stuff is supposed to be the canned Rust Check off the shelf.

Rust Check in the can is not that sticky yellow wax oil type stuff.  It's as thin as WD 40 and is pink. Drips like Krown. The Crappy guys are just lying to you.

So how much money are you out so far?

I don't think much of the product because it doesn't automatize well enough to reach all places.  Moreover, any company that partners with Crappy knows that in the end customers will be ripped off.   

Interesting. I'll have to do a search for some google pics/videos of Rust Check and other applications to get a comparison

I am out $50 total. Not paying anything obviously to fix the issue.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »
$50 is not a disaster particularly if the Corrosion Free guy is coming.

It's not a perfect word.  There is no easy street to anti rust applications.  These "no drip" applications were born out of ppl's dislike of the Krown and original Rust Check dripping on their driveways, but they are not effective.  Corrosion Free must know that ppl are just getting scr*wed at Crappy.

If Corrosion Free was really good then a dealer base would have developed.  PPL would be fighting to get a franchise.   

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2012, 07:32:58 pm »
 Rust check sells 2 types of product in cans. The dripping red stuff and the stuff in a green can called"coat and protect". That stuff sticks like snot to a roosters lip.
So they were probably telling you the truth partly.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline chriskwarren

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2012, 10:26:11 am »
The Corrosion Free guy came and did the car and I am very happy with the job they did. The yellow crap came off in the power wash they did. No charge to me.

I'll stick to a local guy in Oshawa for now on instead of Canadian Tire though, or if I am out in Mississaugua for some reason then Robinsons.

Offline JToering

• Noob
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Saturn Vue, Buick LeSabre, Grand Prix, Olds Alero, Mustang GTs, Mach 1
« Reply #59 on: December 15, 2012, 12:15:32 pm »
Why post here?  I joined this forum to make this post because one of the places I ended up was here when researching rust.  The reason I decided to post this here is because I have no desire arguing with someone from Arizona who tells me newer cars don't need rustproofing.  Anyone who researches rust learns the Canadians know how to rust cars "real good".  The drippy aspect of Krown doesn't bother me.  I went with Corrosion Free 3000 for two reasons.  First, it sprays on watery and penetrates the seams using capillary action just as with Krown.  Secondly, it doesn't swell and rot the rubber.  I went with the complete package.  My purpose for posting this is to save people some hair follicles looking for someone within range that will do a good job.  After a lot of research and phone interviews, I ended up going with the unlikely sounding Choice Q Lube in Ann Arbor Michigan.  They are the only place in Michigan Certified by Corrosion Free 3000.  While there were places closer in other states, I drove 294 miles round trip to get it here based on my research and telephone interviews.  I learned this place used to be a rustproofing-only business.  Be advised that the full package is going to tie your vehicle up for a while. 

My experience:  When I got there, they said, this is the guy that will be doing your rust proofing as they introduced me to one of the guys in the shop.  While watching him, it was obvious he was REALLY into it.  He said, rustproofing is an art form to me.  I learned he was the son of the founder, and learned the rustproofing business from his father starting when he was 14.  I had no idea till I watched, how many places the manufacturers add so that the vehicle can be rustproofed.  Above my liftgate there were manufacturer drilled access points where they could get below my roof luggage rack.  I cringed when I watched, but ended up with no spots on the head liner.  I can see people getting their clothes dirty where the squirt it on bracket and hinge areas and strikers.  So you actually get all the hinges and strikers lubed that you are supposed to lube, and nobody ever does.  While I was there I noticed they also putting in ball joints and wheel bearings on another SUV.  These guys are mechanics that are  "into" cars.  They noticed a 10MM bolt missing on the engine that was supposed to be there to tie down the air inlet duct and replaced it.

Common questions I saw asked while I was researching are:
1.  Do they drill holes?  I asked the guy doing the job.  He said, that used to be my job when I was learning.  He said it has a lot to do with the vehicle, and how old it is.  The newer vehicles already have access holes and plugs, and where they don't have them, there is often plastic that is flexible enough to make room for the wands.  On my particular vehicle they didn't have to drill any holes, even on the doors, and he could get in there just fine.  I expected they would need to drill holes in the doors, and wouldn't have minded if they had.  (People could then see it had been rustproofed.) 
2.  What is the stuff like?  This is tough to describe.  It sprays on liquidy, but morphs into a consistency of what I would describe as the thinnest Vaseline in the world.  It slowly levels and leaves a shiny surface, but wet to the touch.  It feel somewhat like what detailers leave behind to make things look shiny.  That's the best I can do.
3.  Does it make a mess under the hood?  No.  It seems like they control things with the gun of how find and how heavy they want it.  The places they concentrated it on are a lot of the hidden areas where there is metal to metal contact and seams.  Other areas seem more like coated with dew, and well painted areas are not done at all.  Hopefully that helps.
4.  Does it drip like Krown?  It doesn't seem to.

Too much information:  I know most people won't do what I did, but before I had it rustproofed, I put it up on ramps and put large shop lights underneath.   I blew out and cleaned the undercarriage.  It did not need pressure washing.  I wiped down all but the springs and suspension parts with Windex and a rag.  The heavy welded frame pieces that are not protected by zinc galvanizing had lots of areas where the paint was missing or had rust bubbles.  The unprotected fuel tank straps were significantly corroded.  The sheet metal looked good but the white powder of the galvanizing was showing on the spot weld joints.  The paint was easy to chip off on the top of the spot welds.  I scaled the loose rust off the heavy frame pieces and fuel tank straps.  I scaled the loose rust off the heavy frame pieces and chipped off any loose paint on the tops of the spot welds.  I did not remove the fuel tank straps to do the other side of the tank straps that were in contact with with plastic fuel tank.  I sprayed the just rusted areas with 3 coats of rust converter and followed up with 3 coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black to match the factory finish of the rest of the undercarriage.  I did not spray the edges of the spot weld seams so that a penetrate could wick into them during rustproofing. When I look under the vehicle after the rust proofing, it is all shiney black and looks like a new car underneath.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:07:40 pm by JToering »