Author Topic: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI  (Read 19005 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:05:51 am »

A large car that drives like a small car, the new Passat TDI diesel averaged just 6.6 L/100 km.

Read More...

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Trendline+ TDI
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 06:27:13 am »
Why did the cover just one goose neck on the trunk, it looks sloppy....
Even if just one has the wire...

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 06:59:04 am »
Sounds like a very nice package but I really wonder what the actual cost of a diesel engine is?  VW charges a premium but when the Koreans hit the market with one (whenever that is), it will be interesting to see what happens to prices.

A good review but the author should be told there is no prize for the longest paragraph.  Also, I really dislike the red text that is now prevalent on this part of the site.  Hard on the eyes.

Overall on the Passat, I think it must be getting harder and harder for luxury car buyers to justify the extra $30k for their high end rides as the midrange sedans are getting very, very good and in terms of comfort have to be almost on the same level as the high priced prestige models.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:37 am »
Sounds like a very nice package but I really wonder what the actual cost of a diesel engine is?  VW charges a premium but when the Koreans hit the market with one (whenever that is), it will be interesting to see what happens to prices.

A good review but the author should be told there is no prize for the longest paragraph.  Also, I really dislike the red text that is now prevalent on this part of the site.  Hard on the eyes.

Overall on the Passat, I think it must be getting harder and harder for luxury car buyers to justify the extra $30k for their high end rides as the midrange sedans are getting very, very good and in terms of comfort have to be almost on the same level as the high priced prestige models.

Cheers,
John M.
The Koreans have no plans of offering a diesel in the US or Canada.  As much as we'd all love them to.  But Chevy and Mazda will be offering their diesel options in the next year or so.

As for your comment on Luxury cars, I tend to think this is great for Luxury car buyers because those cars have to get better in order to keep the value quotient there for people.  So I expect over the next few years there to be better high end cars.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:17:25 am »
I'm really in love with this car and VW in general.  I've never owned a VW (or any of their other products like Audi) but I feel like it's something I'd like to own at some point.  The problem that I always have with their products is that they are priced a bit too high and the reliability scare is always there it seems.  Maybe I can get one of the new Mazda diesels and pretend I'm in a VW and get it out of my system. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +416/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:34:29 am »
In comparing equipment against the Sonata the reviewer states "But the Passat comes back with tire-pressure monitoring....".
I thought TPMS was a governmant requirement on all vehicle as of the 2008 model year?  ???
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:18:30 am »
In comparing equipment against the Sonata the reviewer states "But the Passat comes back with tire-pressure monitoring....".
I thought TPMS was a governmant requirement on all vehicle as of the 2008 model year?  ???
It might be in the US but as for Canada I've never heard that.  In fact I'd say that more than 50% of new vehicles sold in Canada do not even come with that option.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:24:24 am »

Cheers,
John M.

You're breaking my heart, John M.—I love long paragraphs and run-on sentences! just one of those weird quirks I fight to get away from. Point taken, though.

thanks,
jy
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:59 am »

I don't necessarily see TPMS as a bonus; they are annoying when swapping between winter tires and the sensors do not tend to be all that sensitive.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:40:54 am »
Not all of us live in Toronto and regularly drive at 130 - 140 kmh. It certainly would be nice to know
what efficiency a car designed specifically for fuel economy achieves when driven economically.

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 08:43:00 am »
It might be in the US but as for Canada I've never heard that.  In fact I'd say that more than 50% of new vehicles sold in Canada do not even come with that option.

Correct, it is a US mandate that Canada did not adopt partially due to the reason nlm brings up, winter tire swapping.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:16 am »
Not all of us live in Toronto and regularly drive at 130 - 140 kmh. It certainly would be nice to know
what efficiency a car designed specifically for fuel economy achieves when driven economically.

As I mentioned, because of the inaccurate speedo, I wasn't actually driving 130-140, more like 110-125. I think it's safe to say that if you keep it in the 100-110, you'd get close to the 4.9 L/100 km estimated by NRCan, and easily under 6. Sign up for the manual and you have a legitimate chance to keep it under 5 for highway driving.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 09:21:59 am »
I'd find that speedometer error to be hugely annoying.

C&D did some testing a while back and said this:

When traveling at a true 70 mph, as indicated by our highly precise Datron optical fifth-wheel equipment, the average speedometer (based on more than 200 road-tested vehicles) reads 71.37 mph. Wait, wait! Before you roll your eyes and turn the page, let us dig just a bit deeper and reveal some dirt.

Sorted by price, luxury cars are the least accurate, and cars costing less than $20,000 are the most accurate. By category, sports cars indicate higher speeds than sedans or trucks. Cars built in Europe exaggerate more than Japanese cars, which in turn fib more than North American ones. And by manufacturer, GM's domestic products are the most accurate, and BMW's are the least accurate by far. One other trend: Only 13 of our 200 test speedos registered below true 70 mph, and only three of those were below 69 mph, while 90 vehicles indicated higher than 71 mph. Are our cars trying to keep us out of traffic court?

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/speedometer-scandal

Damned lying Germans. :run:
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 09:32:08 am »
I'm furious the europeans with their partners here in US & Canada do not offer frugal Diesel cars for entry level cars/customers. Offering the up-priced Diesel vehicle is something against the initial idea to make more economical vehicle. In Europe (and other markets overseas) you can buy even subcompacts like Fiat Panda, Reanault Twingo or Ford Fiesta ...with Diesel Power. And they are the most economical vehicles, beating even Prius in terms up-front price and operational costs. Paying premium for Diesel which is not connected with production costs instead driven by luxury gimmicks like this Trendline here is killer for the whole philosophy of the frugal Diesel cars in North America! It creates customers who never ever gona believe in Diesel as a cheap, reliable and clean transportation. Shame...

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:36:23 am »
 This is an attractive car on the outside...Perhaps not so much inside...The large discrepancy in the speedo reading may just have some effect on the 6.6 Km/L you reported..If the car's computer is using that KPH figure to compute mileage, then you'd have to drop that figure 1-1.5 Km/L...to something like 7.5 to 8.0 liters consumed...Get my drift?  I see the review as taken through the eyes of one obsessed with all things VW... There are too many buts in this review...It is good looking though..Like that color...Thanks  Jack

Offline Pleem

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Equinox
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:53 am »
For comparison David Booth just evaluated a 2012 Camry hybrid and, interestingly, got a consistent 6.6 fuel consumption number with it.  He was impressed considering he didn't baby it and isn't a hybrid fan.    http://life.nationalpost.com/2012/02/24/first-drive-2012-toyota-camry-hybrid/

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 10:13:57 am »
i liked the review very much (honest, and not afraid to throw a few "jabs" in there jokingly)...i looked at one of these as a possible suitor for my next car, but i just couldn't get the payments to be where i wanted them...i sat in one of these in the showroom and the rear legroom is absolutely ridiculous (to the point of awesome)...also, the seats were great (comfort)...i didn't drive it, but i have driven TDi Jetta's before and know how nice they are.

as a side note, i just signed the paperwork on a car last night...kind of went in a slightly different direction than i initially was going with, but i believe i found the car that went "buy me"...i still need to see it when it comes in, so i do have the option to "walk away" once i see it in the flesh, but i am pretty sure all will be good.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 10:31:39 am »
This is an attractive car on the outside...Perhaps not so much inside...The large discrepancy in the speedo reading may just have some effect on the 6.6 Km/L you reported..If the car's computer is using that KPH figure to compute mileage, then you'd have to drop that figure 1-1.5 Km/L...to something like 7.5 to 8.0 liters consumed...Get my drift?  I see the review as taken through the eyes of one obsessed with all things VW... There are too many buts in this review...It is good looking though..Like that color...Thanks  Jack

Speedo and odo are not necessarily linked together.  For example, both Hyundais I had read speed +2% but odometers show -1% less km than actual.

The Altima rental I had in FL read an almost exact 72 MPH at 72-73 MPH according to my Garmin GPS.  Which was good to know since wind and road noise were pretty low on the smooth Florida roads.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 10:44:34 am »
Great review.
There is no doubt in my mind I would pick this one over the Regal   :run: even if it was priced higher and even despite its reliability ratings. Just me, and just sayn'.
This is exactly how I perceive what a North American family sedan should be. Large, spacious, comfortable, excellent cruiser. Add 'competent handler' and 'economical' to the equasion and the word 'eAssist' seems very appropriate for the Buick.

As for the speedos, I can attest to that, the indicated speed in my 328 is WAY higher than the actual speed. It does NOT affect the fuel consumption reading by the onboard computer though, as it is spot on and verified after every fillup over 15,000km

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 10:50:04 am »
as a side note, i just signed the paperwork on a car last night...kind of went in a slightly different direction than i initially was going with, but i believe i found the car that went "buy me"...i still need to see it when it comes in, so i do have the option to "walk away" once i see it in the flesh, but i am pretty sure all will be good.

So when are we going to see a new thread in the Show 'N Shine section?  ;) Any hint as to what it is?