Poll

Should everyone who learns to drive be taught with (and tested on) a manual?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Should everyone who learns to drive be taught with (and tested on) a manual?  (Read 7948 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Maybe should have to also take a CPR/First Aid course to get their license.

Agreed. Should be mandatory .

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
i drive some narrow, hilly roads on my commute... and the tiny little automatic cars i see who have to adjust their speed by 50% to make corners and stay in their lane is just ridiculous....

i often daydream about forcing everyone to pass a test driving a car like mine on those roads, just to prove they are in control of the car, not the other way around... if your brain can handle making decisions at speed and you can stay in lanes, keep consistent speeds and not get too scared/nervous... then you are fine.

i said yes to the poll, but i really wouldn't realistically think that way... i wouldn't sell any cars because no one would have a drivers license.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
I hope someone in the Conservative party introduces this idea in the next election platform.   The ultimate vote killer ever.

I think just parallel parking is a mountain to high to climb for many.

I like Bob's idea too, but it would never fly.   Being incompetent is now the norm with automatics, self-parking, ABS, traction control, anti-skid tech has numbed down driving to where people just want to push a button and do nothing.  It's not better, but it's obviously what the hordes want.  Yes, there are lots of people who shouldn't have a license, but they won't change. (remember, the incompetent don't know they're the problem)

As ArticSteve says, parallel parking is too much for many.  I know tons of people who refuse to ever drive in downtown Kingston (which is not a big city by any means)  simply because they might have to parallel park.
Mr Pickypants

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
IMO those who at least are aware of their limitations are safer than those who think they're good.

I don't think my mom has parallel parked since her driving test. But she's a safe driver, though doesn't have the confidence of others. My brother, he's confident, but not really that good (though he's a decent driver nonetheless and learned to drive manual soon after getting his license

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
I love manuals, but they have their place. In my TL, it would just be a pain in the rear, since the large motor makes loads of torque. In my Kia Rio, however, the manual  transforms the car from an econo buzzbox to almost hot hatch. The difference in driving experience is incredible, more than most cars I have experienced. I love a good manual, and the quality of the clutch and shifter of the Rio have really surprised me, a lot better than my already excellent 2008 Fit.

So I love a good manual in a small car, since it will let that small engine do its best, and make the overall experience a lot more pleasant, for me and pretty much anyone reading this, would fully understand the use of a peppy little manual hatch for brutal city driving.

But that makes too much sense. Most people don't give a good gul durn what they drive, as long as it runs and it easy to drive, and is cheap to run: to whit, we have a gazillion Civics and Corollas on the road in Canada and I'd say at least 90% are automatics. Making manuals mandatory would be a huge waste of time, since 90% of drivers would never use it. I doubt they would even consider a manual car.

I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
I love manuals, but they have their place. In my TL, it would just be a pain in the rear, since the large motor makes loads of torque.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Really..?  ::)

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
I love manuals, but they have their place. In my TL, it would just be a pain in the rear, since the large motor makes loads of torque.

So wait...the engine makes lots of power so therefore a manual is no bueno......I don't get the correlation!?!?!?!  :think: :think:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT

So wait...the engine makes lots of power so therefore a manual is no bueno......I don't get the correlation!?!?!?!  :think: :think:
[url = http://www.venomgt.com/venom-f5/]This one makes 1,400hp with a manual transmission...[/url]

Offline mmmbacon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1999 SAAB 9-5
I'm for "no". The UK has a very small number of automatics on the road and a comprehensive public transport network. Learning how to drive a manual would be an unnecessary hassle for most people and wouldn't necessarily make anyone a good driver.

Driving should be taught like math, from first principles, then the easier method, or you just don't understand it properly...

I get what you're saying but being able to drive a car is different than being able to operate a car.

I knew someone that was on vacation and was a passenger in a rented (manual) car with friends.  The driver had a serious medical issue and couldn’t drive any more.  She was the only other one out of the five that could drive stick, she hadn’t driven stick for a long time, but it came back after a few kangaroo hops down the road.  So it could be a survival skill…

I think this is an exceptional situation. A lot of young people in Europe don't even bother getting a driver's licence these days - and I don't think we should make it mandatory to have a driver's licence to be a passenger for emergency purposes.

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
On a side note my son has an app't to get his G2 this month. He has only driven a manual transmission vehicle.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
When I took the test as a teenager, I had also not driven an automatic. I failed the first time through it because when stopped and waiting for a green I was in neutral. Apparently you're supposed to be in 1st gear with the clutch engaged. Passed the second time doing that.

I never did understand the importance of this and to this day I am in neutral while waiting. I think waiting in 1st with clutch on puts extra unnecessary  wear on it, so I don't do it.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
I never did understand the importance of this and to this day I am in neutral while waiting. I think waiting in 1st with clutch on puts extra unnecessary  wear on it, so I don't do it.

I believe the reason is so if you ever had to move the car quickly you were always ready to go. I've also heard that sitting in gear with the clutch depressed does cause extra wear. Pick your poison I guess.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
Back in the age of the dinosaurs I was taught to shift to neutral and apply the handbrake when stopping at a light.   The UK thing where the amber comes on while the red is still on before the green was always thought of as a time to get ready by shifting into 1irst and depressing the release button on the handbrake ready to release it smoothly...just as in doing a start on an incline...no slipping the clutch against the foot brake there and then...we were taught to use the handbrake You could fail the driving teste if you did not do both of those things.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline RunsinLight

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +12/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford F150 XLT
I take my opinion to the extreme, I don't think you should even able to get a automatic unless you have a legitimate medical reason for needing one.  That and I put learning a manual up there with learning to swim, it's just something you have to teach your kids.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
Should people be allowed to have power steering without a medical reason?

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 09:11:37 am by tenpenny »
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline CyberNick

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 6 GT, 2007 Mazda 6 GT
Interestingly the new Mazda 6 with the electric/electronic parking brake has an auto disengage feature which is meant to assist with getting moving without rolling in the oposite direction.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
I take my opinion to the extreme, I don't think you should even able to get a automatic unless you have a legitimate medical reason for needing one.  That and I put learning a manual up there with learning to swim, it's just something you have to teach your kids.

Ha ha, good man!  :cheers: