Author Topic: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited  (Read 9103 times)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
Re: Test Drive: 2013 Toyota Avalon Limited
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 07:20:58 pm »

Only way the Toyota beats out the Lexus in this regard is cost of ownership (maintenance, specifically).

Absolutely.  The branding BOOMERANG!

PPL buy Lexus in large part because of the branding.  Then when they get into the service end of it and I'm talking routine "maintenance", the dealer goes to town on them and very aggressively.

One would think that Lexus buyers would be fairly capable in depending their wallets from attack.  Not a bit.   They roll over on their backs like a trapped ground hog and throw the CC at the service adviser.   Don't want to appear middle class I suppose.  :rofl2:

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2013, 07:28:22 pm »
It depends where you go.  When I asked to see the service costs at my local dealer, it was scarecely more than a Camry for an ES.  Ditto my IS350.

But our dealer is one of those split dealers that sell Toyota and Lexus...

Really...I've never once thought the cost of running our Lexus' was any more than other cars....certainly not to the point where I've said "These cars are expensive to service".  And this is our 5th Lexus.

The only car that was obscenely cheap to run that makes all others look expensive was our Echo.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:30:00 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 11:31:47 pm »
We're talking about buyers of new Lexus vehicles at your typical high end Lexus store where a brake service ends up 2x that of your typical Toyota store.   Audi/VW comparison not any different.   

One of our service advisors came from a Canadian Tire service department.  In comparison to Crappy customers, dealing with Toyota customers was like dealing with millionaires.  The CC are out before the customer even knows the amount of the bill. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 11:21:17 am »
My parents' 2006 Lexus RX400h to service in Canada (Don Valley North or Richmond Hill) is $600 for oil change, brake check, etc...just the routine stuff every 6 months (recommended), not including any repairs.

My parents therefore drive to Buffalo and have the car serviced at Northown Lexus and it comes to $150.

The Corolla is about $50.

The Forester is about $80.

Those are the only cars I can speak to...but the high service costs actually have my father saying he'll never again buy a Lexus, despite loving it in every other way.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 11:27:57 am »
My parents' 2006 Lexus RX400h to service in Canada (Don Valley North or Richmond Hill) is $600 for oil change, brake check, etc...just the routine stuff every 6 months (recommended), not including any repairs.

My parents therefore drive to Buffalo and have the car serviced at Northown Lexus and it comes to $150.

The Corolla is about $50.

The Forester is about $80.

Those are the only cars I can speak to...but the high service costs actually have my father saying he'll never again buy a Lexus, despite loving it in every other way.

I find it strange. Even high hourly rate cannot explain the difference in service costs. Is Don Valley insisting on including "recommended" service items on top of "mandatory"? That would explain it to me. Brake check and all sorts of "visual inspections" seem like those prime examples where the dealerships make serious money doing absolutely nothing of value.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +706/-12350
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 11:48:26 am »
Speaking of cars for old farts, I find myself lusting after the new ES.  No kidding.  Must be some kind of reverse midlife crisis.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 01:26:01 pm »
Is Don Valley insisting on including "recommended" service items on top of "mandatory"? That would explain it to me

They charge what they do because they can.  They're just pirates.  ;D    License to steel money.  Don Valley Toyota (same ppl) is the largest Toyota dealer in the country.    They can abuse customers at will.  :rofl2:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  In markets like this, Lexus customers along with Audi/BMW/MB attend  for routine service and get fleeced, willingly, as a consequence of the brand boomerang. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 01:38:44 pm »
Is Don Valley insisting on including "recommended" service items on top of "mandatory"? That would explain it to me

They charge what they do because they can.  They're just pirates.  ;D    License to steel money.  Don Valley Toyota (same ppl) is the largest Toyota dealer in the country.    They can abuse customers at will.  :rofl2:

This is exactly what I'm talking about.  In markets like this, Lexus customers along with Audi/BMW/MB attend  for routine service and get fleeced, willingly, as a consequence of the brand boomerang.

I think right here is a very good argument for having the ability to get your Cadillac serviced at a GM dealer amongst the unwashed proletariat like the Malibu, Sonic.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-327
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
My Sister In law just called me......She just bought a new Avalon! She said she's giving Toyota one last chance (she was less than impressed with the 2011 Venza she traded in) She loves the interior of the Avalon, the main reason she bought it. Here's the kicker......She's 33! I told her to ask the sales rep when the last time he sold a Avalon to somebody younger than 40. She has no idea what past Avalons were like!

Now I can get a chance to really flog one of these car around without a salesman riding shotgun  ;D I really like the exterior (in pictures anyway)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:54 pm »
My Sister In law just called me......She just bought a new Avalon! She said she's giving Toyota one last chance (she was less than impressed with the 2011 Venza she traded in) She loves the interior of the Avalon, the main reason she bought it. Here's the kicker......She's 33! I told her to ask the sales rep when the last time he sold a Avalon to somebody younger than 40. She has no idea what past Avalons were like!

Now I can get a chance to really flog one of these car around without a salesman riding shotgun  ;D I really like the exterior (in pictures anyway)

Please do make sure you keep us posted! Congrats to your S-I-L!

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2013, 01:52:07 pm »

What were the problems with the Venza ?

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2013, 02:15:46 pm »

What were the problems with the Venza ?

She had troubles wih the transmission holding gears when cold, it would stay in first till 4500 rpm then shift with a vibration. Toyota reflashed (maybe a software update) and flushed it (or changed the oil/added a additive) a few times to no avail. It finally improved when their house was finished and Venza got to stay in a heated garage. It would still act up time to time though and did other shift/bang/jerk things she hated.(again not my car so take what she told me about funky shifting with a grain of salt)

Rattles- She allways complained of rattles coming from the dash/glovebox/seat/cargo area.

Fuel economy- Terrible, she would get 300-350km to a tank driving in the city. About as good as her Husbands 06 Ram with a hemi. Keep in mind She's a young mom who dives nice  ;D

She just said she was glad to see it go, never felt it was put together as well as it should. It ws a awd V6 model that had 43,000kms.

PLEASE dont scourage me at the pillar for typing this! I know there must be phantom Toyota salesmen or store owners on this forum or a whole lot of die hard fanboys. These are NOT my opinions, I found it to be an enjoyable drive and like the way it looks. But im not the one who lived with it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:48:44 pm by revalations »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2013, 02:31:36 pm »
Venza tank 67 l, Ram is either 98 or 121 l
That is why I hate when people write kms / tank

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2013, 02:41:47 pm »
Venza tank 67 l, Ram is either 98 or 121 l
That is why I hate when people write kms / tank

I agree, Like I said I never drove it long enough to see actual fuel economy. She compaired this way, her old 2007 Escape had roughly the same size tank (slightly smaller by 5 L) it would last 500-550kms. It was a V6 4x4. Granted the Venza is larger. She's allways whined it guzzled gas.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2013, 03:19:25 pm »
it would stay in first till 4500 rpm then shift with a horrible vibration. Toyota reflashed and flushed it a few times to no avail

"Flushing"  ???  Toyota doesn't flush the V6 AWD transmission.  If it was locking at redline and banging, etc., she would have got a new one.  Can't "reflash" a problem like that away even if one existed.

Sorry dude, pure .....  :spam:

Now I can get a chance to really flog one of these car around without a salesman riding shotgun

Don't forget the PICS!  :)

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
it would stay in first till 4500 rpm then shift with a horrible vibration. Toyota reflashed and flushed it a few times to no avail

"Flushing"  ???  Toyota doesn't flush the V6 AWD transmission.  If it was locking at redline and banging, etc., she would have got a new one.  Can't "reflash" a problem like that away even if one existed.

Sorry dude, pure .....  :spam:

Now I can get a chance to really flog one of these car around without a salesman riding shotgun

Don't forget the PICS!  :)

Sorry to offend dude. I'm busted........pure spam.......head hung in shame as I make my way to the corner.  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
She had troubles wih the transmission holding gears when cold, it would stay in first till 4500 rpm then shift with a vibration.

This sounds very characteristic of my M.I.L.'s Mazda 3 Skyactiv - that thing does NOT like to work when chilly...then again, 2 months of not being driven and it still started...unlike the F.I.L.'s Jag XF - battery dies after 1 week of no driving because of all the electronics that stay on (and having the battery in the trunk makes it a b!tch to jump).