Author Topic: Tire Review: Nokian WR G3 All-weather Tire Year-Long Test  (Read 30390 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Tire Review: Nokian WR G3 All-weather Tire Year-Long Test
« on: November 28, 2014, 06:30:39 am »

Mike Lynett gets into a set of Nokia WR G3 All-Weather Tires to see what all the fuss is about.
Read More...

Offline Danno001

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +13/-45
    • View Profile
Re: Tire Review: Nokian WR G3 All-weather Tire Year-Long Test
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 08:28:42 am »
I'd be very interested on a report on their performance after next winter, once they have had a chance to wear somewhat.

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:09:06 am »
I've had my wrg2 suv model on since spring and logged about 10,000 so far and they are pretty good actually.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +478/-1143
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 09:45:17 am »
Good subject, to car leaser's being tempted by these, one word of caution. I had the original WR's mounted on a XC90 and at the end of lease, in summer, the lease end inspector insisted they were winter tires (Because of the snow flake in mountain logo) and had to be replaced before I return the car, or to pay $600.00 plus tax or so. No amount of explaining they were in fact 4 season's would do.

Since I had kept the original tires and they were still within acceptable specs for wear, I had them remounted on the rims and was good to go; and I sold the WR's for $500.  ;D

By the way the WR's performed well the first 2 winters on the XC; not sure how they would have performed for a third one. For the reast of the year they were as good as the OEM Michelin's.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:02 am »
Good subject, to car leaser's being tempted by these,
I don't know that I agree.  Most lessees don't want to pay for tires at all, so replacing the OEMs with anything is bull.  I know that you live in the Queeb, so you HAVE to put Mountain-Flakes on the corners; however, I'd wager that most people are not willing to re-sell, nor to pay for the mounting/unmounting/re-mounting of the OEMs.

Also, you don't have to give the leased car back with 100% tread, so the only benefit to what you did was that you didn't have to change them over each season (I'd wager you didn't save any $ over buying proper winter tires).  To those who cannot store them (nor want to pay for storage fees) or lift the tires for seasonal changeovers, I can see that argument and I can't really b!tch about it too much...it's valid.  Still, when safety is concerned, protect your investment and your life.  Just my $0.02 USD.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 12:07:32 pm »
I had WRG2s on my leased CRV, and returned it no problem. Then again, I think the dealer was buying the thing from Honda anyhow...

I currently have the cheaper option on my Civic - Hankook Optimo 4S. With around 40,000kms on them, and going into their second winter, I'm hoping that they will be ok. In the early snowfall that Ottawa received, all seems to be fine...

While neither is as good as dedicated winters, they are a huge improvement over the OEM all-season tires that came with the car. As to why I went this route, instead of going with dedicated winters? To be honest? Laziness.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2014, 12:38:16 pm »
Laziness is a huge factor in not getting dedicated winter tires.

I got a screw in one of my tires and trying to get it fixed at this time of the year is a nightmare due to poeple rushing in to get their winters mounted.  I had to wait over a week to get them to look at it.  It turned out that it didn't go though so the air wasn't leaking.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +70/-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2014, 01:01:44 pm »
Not lazy here.  At least on tires.  I have the WR 2s on for the winter since most winter driving is done on dry roads.  Omit last winter.   These handle the snow and ice well enough and I'm in snow country. 

They are also quieter and more fuel efficient than a full snow tire and handle better on dry and wet roads.  That is the reason for using them 5 months and 4 seasons (Michelin Destinys) for 7 months.  The Michelins should last longer and be more fuel efficient than the WRs.   

I had the 4Ss before and like them a lot but the WR were a new generation so I thought I'd give them another crack.  I doubt anyone would regret buying either tire.

So reducing noise, fuel usage and improving handling are the reasons for going all-weather over snows.   I've tried it for about 6 years now and it is a formula I'll stick with.  Having said that I acknowledge that full snows have gotten much more refined and fuel efficient in the past 5 years.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 01:18:47 pm »
So reducing noise, fuel usage and improving handling
Am I the only one that doesn't notice tire noise?  I drive some of the noisiest vehicles on the market (Corolla and last gen Forester) and can't hear either the Michelin Xi2s or the WS70s.  The only time I've ever heard 'tire noise' is under 10km/h in the RX400h, which is a hybrid, and only when the engine is off).

As far as fuel usage, I've never really noticed any drop attributable to the tires - to the cold weather, yes, but never to 'tires' (i.e. I see no drop in fuel economy when it's about 3 degrees C outside and I'm running the winter tires on dry pavement).

Handling is a crapshoot - my Corolla's OEM tires were such utter and complete sh!t that the Xi2s actually are a better-performing tire on every road.  I do notice some sloppiness in the Forester, but that's really only if I'm travelling far too fast for the conditions any way.

None of those reasons would persuade me to go for all-weather tires over dedicated winters.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 01:36:27 pm »
So reducing noise, fuel usage and improving handling
Am I the only one that doesn't notice tire noise?  I drive some of the noisiest vehicles on the market (Corolla and last gen Forester) and can't hear either the Michelin Xi2s or the WS70s.  The only time I've ever heard 'tire noise' is under 10km/h in the RX400h, which is a hybrid, and only when the engine is off).

As far as fuel usage, I've never really noticed any drop attributable to the tires - to the cold weather, yes, but never to 'tires' (i.e. I see no drop in fuel economy when it's about 3 degrees C outside and I'm running the winter tires on dry pavement).

Handling is a crapshoot - my Corolla's OEM tires were such utter and complete sh!t that the Xi2s actually are a better-performing tire on every road.  I do notice some sloppiness in the Forester, but that's really only if I'm travelling far too fast for the conditions any way.

None of those reasons would persuade me to go for all-weather tires over dedicated winters.

yeah, it's just you. Maybe you should see a doctor for that...

for my next car I will go with all-weathers. makes no sense to store and pay for second set of rims or swapping when it receives so little use. even if i drove heavily, I'd be happy with all-weathers from the research I've done. And because laziness.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2014, 01:49:17 pm »
Maybe you should see a doctor for that...
Meh, I would rather not hear it any way.  And because laziness.  ;D

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2014, 01:55:53 pm »
Yesterday and today were great reminders as to why I go with dedicated snows.  Edmonton got hit with over 30cm of snow and the roads are just crazy bad.

My wife texted me saying that going up McDougall Hill there was a guy in a small Honda that couldn't get up.  She had a quick glance and noticed his tires were all-seasons.  LOL.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 01:57:55 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »

I had a set of Xi2s and actually preferred them over the OE Michelin Pilots that the car came with. I did go with a -1 package for the Xi2s so they were a taller tire, which probably explains the improvement in ride comfort and a slight softness in handling, comparatively. But they were also quieter than the Pilots and I much preferred them overall.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »

Am I the only one that doesn't notice tire noise?

The Mazda5 is pretty noisy.  That said, my A/S tires are noisier than the new WS-80's I had installed.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 02:28:23 pm »

Am I the only one that doesn't notice tire noise?

The Mazda5 is pretty noisy.  That said, my A/S tires are noisier than the new WS-80's I had installed.

Good tire choice.  I am also running WS-80s on my van.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 04:38:49 pm »
Tire noise and feel are probably the top reasons people change tires and why the Tire Comparos in newspapers and auto mags are the most read articles.

Snow tires used to be incredibly noisy and rough but since they got their compounding act together and made the treads softer with the lugs closer together I find snows are often quieter and smoother than all seasons.  It would be great to drive on them all year round (fuel efficiency aside) but I know that on a 30 degree day in July I'd be able to feel the tread melting away on the highway.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2014, 06:47:09 pm »
Been doing some reading on these Nokia WR G3's and I must say for the GTA and Southern Ontario they might  be a good option. Perhaps on the next family SUV/Wagon

Offline jaari

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-36
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 10:05:59 pm »
Not lazy here.  At least on tires.  I have the WR 2s on for the winter since most winter driving is done on dry roads.  Omit last winter.   These handle the snow and ice well enough and I'm in snow country. 

They are also quieter and more fuel efficient than a full snow tire and handle better on dry and wet roads.  That is the reason for using them 5 months and 4 seasons (Michelin Destinys) for 7 months.  The Michelins should last longer and be more fuel efficient than the WRs.   

I had the 4Ss before and like them a lot but the WR were a new generation so I thought I'd give them another crack.  I doubt anyone would regret buying either tire.

So reducing noise, fuel usage and improving handling are the reasons for going all-weather over snows.   I've tried it for about 6 years now and it is a formula I'll stick with.  Having said that I acknowledge that full snows have gotten much more refined and fuel efficient in the past 5 years.
What John said lol
I've also been a firm believer in the seasonal change over.
But not now, I live 5 hours n/w of Thunder Bay and the WRG2 suv's are doing quite well ,

Cheers,
John M.

Offline JohnM

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 06:13:45 am »
Isn't 5 hours nw of Thunder Bay the middle of Lake Winnipeg??

How is the wear during the summer?  It would be really good to hear from All Weather tire owners who leave them on all year.   Right now I only know about the Optimo 4Ss, the Nokian WRs and a Kumo which I've never owned or spoken to anyone on.

Do these things go over 100k and still give decent snow traction in the 3rd year (or second last year depending on mileage)??  I can't see how they would.  If they did, I too would just buy the 4Ss or Wrs and pack the Michelins in.

Cheers,
John M.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 09:37:11 am »
From what I have read all weather tires have the same winter abilities as high performance winter tires.