Author Topic: Help me pick my next project  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Help me pick my next project
« on: November 27, 2014, 02:12:42 pm »
As most of you know I enjoy having an affordable classic car kicking around and I have been without one since I sold my Spitfire late in the summer. Budget wise I'm keeping it pretty small as usual. I went to see a '74 Fiat X1/9 but a description of running when parked turned out to be broken cam belt. Cracked windshield, trash tires, worn interior and rust on the strut towers proved to be too much. Some of those issues I could deal with but not all.

I've got the following candidates to consider:

1961 Austin Healey Sprite

Off the road for a long time. Would need a complete mechanical renovation. Also probably an out of province inspection which is around $500 at registration time. Two lens missing - I think the rear isn't all that cheap to replace. Missing a few switches and the radio on that dash but looks otherwise complete. Radio is useless in car like this. Comes with a hardtop which is nice. Looks complete and not buggered with. Would be a longer term proper mechanical renovation. Almost tempted to leave the cosmetics the same. Asking $1500 which strikes me as cheap. I'd keep it pretty much stock.

1977 Datsun 280Z

Again off the road a long time - 1986. 52628 miles. Paint is shot but body looks solid for a Z. My plan is a sort of resto mod with roll on paint job in a 70s groovy colour - orange or light yellow. De-bumper or convert to early style bumpers. Aftermarket wheels. This one has a five speed which is nice. Old FI system worries me a bit. $900

Austin A40 hot rod.

Sort of out of left field but Austin A40 and convert into a hot rod. Maybe sit on a mini-truck frame plus running gear. Fabricated box. Its $200 for the Austin plus $6-700 for a running mini truck. I do happen to have a nice set of almost new A40 front brakes so I could retain those. Interior is shot and mostly gone but body is solid with the exception of some rust and dings on fenders.

Thoughts? I know they are all a bit crazy ...

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Help me pick my next project
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 02:16:20 pm »
It's got to be the Sprite.
I love those, and that one is a bargain price. Especially with the hardtop which can't possibly be common.
Please, please buy it so I can live vicariously through you.
Which state do you live in again?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 02:19:07 pm »
The 280....Ive always had a huge man crush on these cars. Plus, there are reliable sources for any parts you may need.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 02:24:50 pm »
I love those, and that one is a bargain price. Especially with the hardtop which can't possibly be common.

State? State? Autos.CA  ;D

Alberta.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 02:25:55 pm »
Love the X1/9, but understand why you passed. Next best is 280Z!

Where's the poll?!?  ;D

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 02:26:24 pm »

State? State? Autos.CA  ;D

Alberta.

Sorry, my Australian was showing :P
What did that bloke want for the Fiat anyway?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 02:28:12 pm »
I say 280 since I think it is the one most likely to be made road worthy.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 02:29:06 pm »
Datsun all the way, but please keep it original - no yellow or orange LOL

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 02:29:17 pm »
Ask on the Fiat was $500. For free I'd still be upside down on it. It was cool and a friend of mine just happens to have a Honda Civic Si motor and 5spd ... but too much work.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 02:35:27 pm »
The Sprite is the obvious winner from a collectible standpoint - but restoration can get pricey fast.

The 280 is probably the most fun car - and thanks to the volume of them even at this old age - it's not impossible to find bits.

DO BOTH!!

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 02:50:51 pm »
Datsun.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 03:01:14 pm »
Sprite 1st, Datsun 2nd.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2014, 03:22:41 pm »
Datsun!!

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 03:27:17 pm »
i love the sprites... and your history, i think it might be the better fit...

but with that said, i'd pick the 280. think you could do a good flip on it, and the drive should be nicer.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »
I 'd go with the 280
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »
Sprite, I owned one in the late '60s. The easiest set of parts flying in formation possible.  I rebuilt the gearbox of mine in a single day including taking the engine out single handed ( I was younger and stronger then)   Underbody rust killed mine, it had lived most of its life by the seaside..    The halfshafts are a bit of an odd length even back then. Same as a A35 , shorter than the rest of the BL cars.  I suspect you are correct about the rear end of the body and if the rear 1/4 elliptic spring mounts are rusted away then don't touch it.    There used to be conversion kits to replace those old lever arm dampers as well...they never worked well even when new.

Imho the best looking of the candidates. A friend of mine here has an X1/9 in good condition but he does not work on it himself... it is a pretty car and with parts small enough to work with single handed.  here around TO there seem to be no problems with parts.

If the Datsun was a 240Z that would be my pick but not the ugly 280.

My 2cents
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 04:06:28 pm by tpl »
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +231/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 04:20:23 pm »
The Sprite no question. The bugey'd models are getting quite rare and pricey and that one looks like a very solid example. I bet that hardtop alone is worth at least half of the $1500 asking price. Lens shouldn't be a big deal, the rear are interchangable with MGA's (and others), I even think the rear turn signal lens can be swapped with MGA 1600 lens. Most of those didn't have a radio, rather a blank out plate, so all I would get is just a replacement blank out (couple $ on Ebay).
If that car was local to me I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

The 280 has a bit of a cool factor, it would be my second choice. When done it would make a more "useable" car if that's a concern.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2014, 04:42:45 pm »
I can't do all as we are apparently re-doing our kitchen and bathroom. Ugh.

Usability is no factor here. I don't intend to take it any very far. I've got a reasonable daily driver for many years ahead. The Bugeye is cool but I do worry about costs as I would feel compelled to do it properly. Suspension parts aren't cheap. I've never had a passion for the Bugeye as such (thought they were out of my play car price range) but I've always wanted an A-series powered car for some reason. It does look awfully solid for the price. Some more pictures.

I've always liked the Datsun Z. As mentioned the 240Z is a lot nicer looking but the 280Z is better mechanically (5spd, better handling, etc) but if I could back date the looks ... best of both worlds. Plus I can't afford a reasonable 240Z at the moment.

No one likes my Austin hot rod eh?

Northernridge

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 06:41:54 pm »

Usability is no factor here. I don't intend to take it any very far. I've got a reasonable daily driver for many years ahead. The Bugeye is cool but I do worry about costs as I would feel compelled to do it properly. Suspension parts aren't cheap. I've never had a passion for the Bugeye as such (thought they were out of my play car price range) but I've always wanted an A-series powered car for some reason. It does look awfully solid for the price. Some more pictures.

I've always liked the Datsun Z. As mentioned the 240Z is a lot nicer looking but the 280Z is better mechanically (5spd, better handling, etc) but if I could back date the looks ... best of both worlds. Plus I can't afford a reasonable 240Z at the moment.

Maybe you could...theme up the kitchen with reclaimed car seats, automotive paint, chrome fixtures, etc. Just saying. Didn't you make that awesome towel holder out of old rods & pistons?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2014, 07:05:22 pm »

Maybe you could...theme up the kitchen with reclaimed car seats, automotive paint, chrome fixtures, etc. Just saying. Didn't you make that awesome towel holder out of old rods & pistons?

That's an excellent idea.  Check out the cabinets for inspiration... ;D

http://baldheadcabinets.com/

Datsun btw.