Author Topic: Being an Entrepreneur  (Read 4652 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Being an Entrepreneur
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2014, 03:52:44 pm »
23 years now, the only thing I probably miss is guaranteed inflation adjusted pension

Northernridge

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »
Awesome topic.

I consider myself a soft-core entrepreneur. An entrepreneur is not the same thing as a business owner IMO. I know lots of business owners who don't have an entrepreneurial bone in their body...including most second generation business owners...and that's ok.

I think entrepreneurs tend to be dreamers, opportunists, optimists, risk takers and naturally evaluate things in terms of how to monetize a concept and how to make something out of nothing. They inevitably flirt with new concepts, new products, ideas and expansion. They're first-movers on new ideas. Less deterred by failure because they are like moths to light with new ideas. It's more about the starting up and realizing the vision than it is the ongoing management that pulls them forward. A business owner could be a fabulously successful operator and very wealthy, big, etc. yet still not be very entrepreneurial.

I've been in business continually since I was 22 and haven't been employed by someone else since early university over 25 years ago. I've founded or co-founded 5 different incorporated marketing companies (In the start-up phase of the 5th now). Self-employment is really all I know and while I'm fearless of self-employment (after all these years), I'm actually fearful of what I perceive to be the restrictions of being employed.

I've had the opportunity to work with literally hundreds of clients over the years. From new startups with nothing but debt to multi-billion dollar global companies and lucky me, I get to deep-dive inside the boss's head pretty much every time. I'm pretty sure I've seen inside the kimono of every type of entrepreneur...viewed through the lenses of my own biases of course.  :)

Lastly, many employees...ok some...are very entrepreneurial.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2014, 05:20:20 pm »
Great post Northernridge, sounds like you gave a ton of experience.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2014, 08:53:32 pm »
Awesome topic.

I consider myself a soft-core entrepreneur. An entrepreneur is not the same thing as a business owner IMO. I know lots of business owners who don't have an entrepreneurial bone in their body...including most second generation business owners...and that's ok.

So I guess I am not an entrepreneur, just a very small business owner... Fine by mine.  Still get free tans in the summer, by just cutting grass...