Author Topic: Mazda2 Sedan Revealed Before Thai Motor Expo, Not Coming To Canada  (Read 3199 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Hatchback will make North American debut at Montreal Auto Show
Read More...
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:18:29 am by MarkStevenson »

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Mazda2 Sedan Revealed Before Thai Motor Expo, Not Coming To Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:06:56 am »
my goodness! for some reason I think this would be a huge hit in Canada - if priced properly.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:17:45 am »
my goodness! for some reason I think this would be a huge hit in Canada - if priced properly.

I'm not so sure. If they stripped out the hatch to compete at a price similar to the Micra, that would be quite a deal.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:25:58 am »
*ding*

I also wonder about interior space.  If too cramped, the sedan dimensions would not be the preference...Hatchbacks are more useful.

The Fiesta sedan looked weird...at least this Mazda2 sedan looks great!

...but with sufficient kit to make Canucks happy, there's no way this thing could greatly undercut the cost of the Mazda3.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 11:31:07 am »
The Mazda 3 sedan already has one of the smallest trunk openings I've sever seen.  I can only imagine what this would look like...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 11:59:08 am »

I'm not so sure. If they stripped out the hatch to compete at a price similar to the Micra, that would be quite a deal.

:iagree: This works as a hatch but fails as a trunk because of it's small size for me.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2014, 12:16:03 pm »
*ding*

I also wonder about interior space.  If too cramped, the sedan dimensions would not be the preference...Hatchbacks are more useful.

Not always. Hatchback trunks are always overrated because they measure to the window, not the parcel shelf. Often, the trunked car has a bigger "real world" trunk than its hatch sibling if one wants to keep the cover on. Rear-seat room varies from model to model though...

The Fiesta sedan looked weird...at least this Mazda2 sedan looks great!

+1. Rio and Sonic sedans also look pretty good, but the awkward bit in this class is the narrow width. Mazda looks to have done a great job here!

...but with sufficient kit to make Canucks happy, there's no way this thing could greatly undercut the cost of the Mazda3.

+1. Compacts rule the market because the subcompacts don't get much of a $$ or fuel economy advantage.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2014, 12:30:26 pm »
*ding*

glad someone noticed...as it stands, the price difference between the 2 and 3 is insignificant...now if Mazda was to price the 2 @11.9K and the sedan at the same price, I believe people would buy them.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2014, 12:54:50 pm »
glad someone noticed...as it stands, the price difference between the 2 and 3 is insignificant...now if Mazda was to price the 2 @11.9K and the sedan at the same price, I believe people would buy them.
I can only speak from my own experiences, but when we bought the Corolla, we actually went into the dealership with the intention of buying the Yaris.  We wanted a cheap, cheap car.  That was it.

When priced out with ABS (literally the only requirement), the Yaris was <$1,000 cheaper than the Corolla, but for that $1,000, you got a smaller car, with less power, that was no better on fuel, did not have cruise control, and did not have a telescoping steering wheel.

For us, it was a no-brainer.  For $3,000 saved, it may have been something to consider.  I'd wager the difference should be more akin to $4,000 saved to really have an appeal.

...but for <$1k, why would anyone choose a Yaris over a Corolla?  Especially nowadays with the Corolla having nice features like LED lowbeams, etc.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »

I can only speak from my own experiences, but when we bought the Corolla, we actually went into the dealership with the intention of buying the Yaris.  We wanted a cheap, cheap car.  That was it.

* DING * DING *

It'll all come to pricing. Lots of people have talked about cars getting bigger and bigger.
This would be like a 2001 Honda Civic Sedan. 
However, like your experience - if it doesn't cost much more to get into the Mazda 3 (over the 2)
selling on size alone isn't going to move the metal (look at the mid-size / half ton truck  ;))

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
I think this is the first tiny sedan that actually looks good. It's certainly a huge improvement over the current 2 sedan:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:58 pm »
It does look impressively good for a very small sedan. I'd still rather the hatch at this size myself.