Poll

Non pet owners - Do you let other pets in your house?

Yes
2 (10.5%)
No
11 (57.9%)
Depends
6 (31.6%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Non pet owners - Do you let other pets in your house?  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: Non pet owners - Do you let other pets in your house?
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2014, 02:05:05 pm »
Heck no to the question posted.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2014, 02:10:07 pm »
We have a lab, I would never think of taking her to friend's homes.  She stays at home unless we visit the in laws or my parents, who all have dogs and encourage us to bring her.

On a side note, I find that some people who have kids that have left the home treat their dogs like children.  Drives me nuts sometimes.  Don't take offense if you have a dog and your kids have left home, notice I said "some"  :P ;D.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2014, 09:46:22 pm »
It's definitely a "My House, My Rules" type of situation.  I've had dogs all my life and love them, but it's not always appropriate to bring them with you to someone's place.  Last year, we had three couples over for supper and one of the couples has a large Bernese Mountain Dog.  It was p!ssing raining that night and my wife and I spent a few hours cleaning the house.  We didn't want their dog over since we just cleaned the house and he'd get his muddy paws all over our floors.  Anyways, I called them and politely asked them to leave their dog at home for the reasons that I mentioned.  A few minutes after we hung up, they called back and said they were p!ssed off and weren't coming over because they couldn't bring their dog.  I was floored.   ::)

If you want to bring your dog over, and most times I don't mind, I at least expect the courtesy of asking up front rather than just assuming it's ok.

Wow...no loss then if they don't have respect for your home.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2014, 02:39:22 pm »
I have 2 dogs and don't like other dogs in my house.  In fact my big dog rarely comes inside and I'm fine with that.  Outside is another matter.  Lots of room for kids, dogs and people.  Your house, your rules.

But in case you change your mind Quad you can get them this to chew on instead of your speakers... ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:43:32 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2014, 04:49:44 pm »

For me, it depends on the personality of the animal.  Now that Molly is old, with very weak back legs, I'm hesitant to invite anyone with a bouncy or inquisitive dog, as she would not be able to get away.

Hi Brigitte, just wanted to mention  that if Molly is a cat, that weak back legs might  be a sign of diabetes.

I don't have dogs right now, but if invited we certainly brought our shelties with us wherever we went.  They were pretty well behaved though.   We normally assumed that people who didn't invite them had  a reason and we were fine with that.

Mr Pickypants

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 04:58:48 pm »
Geez never! I have maple-delicate-expensive hardwood floors throughout the house - even my cats can scratch them, if I don't trim their nails.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 05:19:32 pm »
Hi Brigitte, just wanted to mention  that if Molly is a cat, that weak back legs might  be a sign of diabetes.

Thanks, Blur.  Yes, she's a cat. It's her kidneys that are failing, which also causes muscle wasting.  They've been that way since her last BW, which showed no signs of diabetes, but did reveal decreased renal function at 60%.  Her quality of life is still excellent; she eats and drinks fairly normally, is clean with her litterbox, and she is very interactive/affectionate.   So far, so good, but I know it's just a matter of time at this point.   :-\