Author Topic: New Comparison Test of Ten Mid-size cars  (Read 2627 times)

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
New Comparison Test of Ten Mid-size cars
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:01:13 pm »
The testing was done by Cars.com and Motorweek from PBS and the results are surprising to me!  The Sonata won with the Camry coming in 10th.

Here is a link to the test summary on the Cars.com website:

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2014/11/whats-the-best-midsize-sedan-for-27000.html
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: New Comparison Test of Ten Mid-size cars
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:57 pm »
interesting... being that i know the 200 best, i always use it as my benchmark... not sure after watching the video and going through all their links how they come to some of their ratings... i feel like it's probably pretty accurate overall ranking, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

still will have to look at transaction price, the reliability (perceived or whatever) and a couple things that i'm surprised they didn't have categories for, looks and overall safety.

i sell cars to many people that those 4 things are the only things that matter, so kind of surprising that they aren't mentioned other than i passing in other categories. as much as "noise", "tech", "acceleration" and "child safety seats" are important, i can't say i have ever sold a car based solely on any of those qualities....

i guess that's why the sales numbers sure don't reflect this list!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:32 pm »
something is wrong...
Example:
under the tech and entertaining, the Ford Fusion is listed second to last but it offers all the latest tech you can get in a non-luxury car. It can even self-park....! The Toyota Camry is listed 3rd to last, even though the entertaining unit is exactly the same one that goes in the Legacy, etc etc...

Offline Frontier1

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +25/-245
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:36 pm »
Oh boy..... :P

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:04:47 pm »
i think tech is more infotainment and dash... also, i don't believe the fusion tested has those features... it would have been the not so loved mft.

the camry one... i don't think it is 100% the same... i do see your point though.

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2014, 09:46:27 pm »
something is wrong...
Example:
under the tech and entertaining, the Ford Fusion is listed second to last but it offers all the latest tech you can get in a non-luxury car. It can even self-park....! The Toyota Camry is listed 3rd to last, even though the entertaining unit is exactly the same one that goes in the Legacy, etc etc...

Maybe the cost of self-park and other options downgrades the ranking?

And My Ford Touch isn't well-liked for user-friendliness, so it may also be a downgrade.

Offline stargazer68

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 09:55:25 pm »
interesting... being that i know the 200 best, i always use it as my benchmark... not sure after watching the video and going through all their links how they come to some of their ratings... i feel like it's probably pretty accurate overall ranking, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

still will have to look at transaction price, the reliability (perceived or whatever) and a couple things that i'm surprised they didn't have categories for, looks and overall safety.

i sell cars to many people that those 4 things are the only things that matter, so kind of surprising that they aren't mentioned other than i passing in other categories. as much as "noise", "tech", "acceleration" and "child safety seats" are important, i can't say i have ever sold a car based solely on any of those qualities....

The complexity of a car buyer's decision would drive a psychologist  to retirement, so I applaud anyone who can survive in the business!
I'm sure that, for every buying reason you hear, there are four or five hidden causes in the buyer's mind.  He/she likely can't even articulate them, if they even are aware of them.

Your observation about sales figures says it all.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:02 pm »
Awesome, this list offends everyone. Autos.ca united.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 07:24:01 am »

Agreed, with a set of different categories the scores would probably change, it depends on buyers priorities. It would be interesting to see a comparison test where a reader could select, prioritize, set weighting to the categories according to their individual needs and wants. Then let the selections rank the cars again......that would be fun...especially in this place  ;D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2014, 09:55:39 am »
that actually is something that could work and would not be all that difficult with the information they already have... just adjust the weighting from for each category as a multiplier for the final score and there ya go...

wouldn't be surprised if things like that become a bit more common... now that we get to see scores for each subsection, readers can already glean a bit of a result for their personal preferences... but we like things a bit easier and straightforward...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 10:20:31 am »
They could easily create a page for the results with sliders that apply modifiers to the numbers.

That would be a great tool for car shopping