Author Topic: Is that an Impreza?  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Is that an Impreza?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »
Well, that back half was.

Amazing they more or less walked away from that.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 08:12:39 pm »
Wow... a clean cut at 90 degrees?

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 09:21:32 pm »
A cousin of mine was involved in a terrible crash that killed two of his friends.

They were driving in northern Ontario and spun out into the path on an oncoming transport.

The car was cut clean into two pieces.  His brother said it was as though someone had used a pair of tin snips. 

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:43 pm »
My guess with the lack of info is that it may have been two car halves welded into one. Not unheard of in the UK.

Good point. Saw a show on that a few years ago on TV: get two totalled cars, one with a destroyed back end, one with a destroyed front end, then cut them in half and weld together the good bits of each. For some reason, these cars aren't flagged in the U.K. system as "salvage" or whatever, and unsuspecting buyers are none the wiser (not that a cursory inspection wouldn't make it obvious.)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 12:38:04 pm »
My guess with the lack of info is that it may have been two car halves welded into one. Not unheard of in the UK.

Good point. Saw a show on that a few years ago on TV: get two totalled cars, one with a destroyed back end, one with a destroyed front end, then cut them in half and weld together the good bits of each. For some reason, these cars aren't flagged in the U.K. system as "salvage" or whatever, and unsuspecting buyers are none the wiser (not that a cursory inspection wouldn't make it obvious.)

They aren't flagged because it's illegal, and the VIN numbers are usually stolen.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 02:33:37 pm »
I'm going to guess that the car is a stitch job.  It's super important to have any potential used car purchase inspected for this - it's not too tough to spot with the car on a hoist.