Author Topic: Articles, you would like to see  (Read 13481 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Articles, you would like to see
« on: November 22, 2014, 07:49:10 am »
I would like to read is an article in the difference in schedule maintenance and cost between a diesel and a gas engine
 You could do the difference between ram 1500 Ecodiesel and Hemi or vw TDI and their gas engine
Ram Ecodiesel is suppose to take 10 l of oil and filter is over $40

It would be nice to know cost per km for each engine

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
Re: Articles, you would like to see
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 06:53:12 pm »
I would like to read is an article in the difference in schedule maintenance and cost between a diesel and a gas engine
 You could do the difference between ram 1500 Ecodiesel and Hemi or vw TDI and their gas engine
Ram Ecodiesel is suppose to take 10 l of oil and filter is over $40

It would be nice to know cost per km for each engine

This is a neat idea. I'm doing a test of various Golf models for my next long-term test, so standard maintenance and running costs differential between the 1.8T and TDI would provide some valuable insight as these engines are probably closer in all other respects than ever before. However, It might be a couple months before we reach that point in the evaluation.

I think a standalone article about comparative costs of various diesel niches (Ram 1500, Mercedes-Benz ML and E, VW Jetta, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Chevy Cruze) would provide some great information for prospective diesel consumers.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 07:59:20 pm »
I'd like to be invited to test lots of cars.  I would post another Picard meme, but you yelled at me last time  :-[

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 01:05:17 pm »
I second AB!

and maybe even a simple list of various parts / systems that add potential replacement costs over the non-diesels and prices to fix that stuff.  (particulate filters, etc)

Northernridge

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:14:37 pm »
Slowest developing thread ever.  :)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 05:26:25 pm »

I guess we've covered everything.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 06:25:24 pm »
You do cover most things very well imho

But here is one.

Try to get someone from Transport Canada to talk, anonymously, off the record, about their procedures and processes for deciding on things like:   Whether Canada will continue to follow US laws when the EU free trade comes in.  Does TC test cars themselves .  Why don't we have the equivalent consumer protection laws  etc.   All that stuff.  Can TC make exceptions to US regs if they see a safety benefit . 

You know what sort of questions.  Ideally it would be a series of articles maybe once every couple of months or when something interesting comes up ( the Audi variable headlight thing comes to mind)
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:11:38 am »

I guess we've covered everything.

Just about! 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »
Ergonomics, I would like to hear more about driver and passenger ergonomics.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 07:25:18 pm »
You do cover most things very well imho

But here is one.

Try to get someone from Transport Canada to talk, anonymously, off the record, about their procedures and processes for deciding on things like:   Whether Canada will continue to follow US laws when the EU free trade comes in.  Does TC test cars themselves .  Why don't we have the equivalent oconsumer protection laws  etc.   All that stuff.  Can TC make exceptions to US regs if they see a safety benefit . 

You know what sort of questions.  Ideally it would be a series of articles maybe once every couple of months or when something interesting comes up ( the Audi variable headlight thing comes to mind)

Actually this would be very interesting.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 11:05:00 am »
After reading the Edmunds experience repairing the aluminum F150, but having to also replace a very expensive safety nanny, I'm interested to read a feature article about the pros and cons of some of these newer safety features (lane departure warning, adaptive cruise, blind-spot monitoring, etc)

Questions such as:
1.  Do they work well in Canadian winters?  Many of these things seem to rely on sensors/cameras, but will they work if the vehicle is covered in snow or ice?
2.  For LDW, how obvious do the lane stripes have to be before this will work (or is it based on something else other than lane stripes, like straight-line trajectory?)  Just thinking during my drive yesterday - most of the lane stripes right now are either covered in snow/sand/slush, or the paint has totally faded anyway.  Would LDW work?
3.  What is the cost of replacing these systems?  Are they stand-alone components, or would the entire housing have to be replaced? (headlight, bumper, side panels, etc.)
4.  Is there any significant difference between MNFRs in terms of the effectiveness of these systems?  Is there one car brand that does them really well, or really poorly?

I still don't want any of these things on next vehicle - KISS - but it's definitely the direction the industry is going, so it wouldn't hurt to know more about them.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:35 pm »
After reading the Edmunds experience repairing the aluminum F150, but having to also replace a very expensive safety nanny, I'm interested to read a feature article about the pros and cons of some of these newer safety features (lane departure warning, adaptive cruise, blind-spot monitoring, etc)

Questions such as:
1.  Do they work well in Canadian winters?  Many of these things seem to rely on sensors/cameras, but will they work if the vehicle is covered in snow or ice?
2.  For LDW, how obvious do the lane stripes have to be before this will work (or is it based on something else other than lane stripes, like straight-line trajectory?)  Just thinking during my drive yesterday - most of the lane stripes right now are either covered in snow/sand/slush, or the paint has totally faded anyway.  Would LDW work?
3.  What is the cost of replacing these systems?  Are they stand-alone components, or would the entire housing have to be replaced? (headlight, bumper, side panels, etc.)
4.  Is there any significant difference between MNFRs in terms of the effectiveness of these systems?  Is there one car brand that does them really well, or really poorly?

I still don't want any of these things on next vehicle - KISS - but it's definitely the direction the industry is going, so it wouldn't hurt to know more about them.
Is a US winter different then a Canadian winter ?

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:59 pm »

Why don't you ask your snowbird friends?  ;)

I include this because many of the US auto publications are in the South or California (think of Edmunds long-term tests), and don't experience any appreciable winter conditions. 

Or the US car being tested faces only mild winter conditions - but not "snowfall has been accumulating for 5 months" conditions, or "this is what happens at -40" conditions.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 04:40:52 pm »

Why don't you ask your snowbird friends?  ;)

I include this because many of the US auto publications are in the South or California (think of Edmunds long-term tests), and don't experience any appreciable winter conditions. 

Or the US car being tested faces only mild winter conditions - but not "snowfall has been accumulating for 5 months" conditions, or "this is what happens at -40" conditions.
I do not have any snowbirds friends but I know people in Fargo , they are not to happy in the winter time

Northernridge

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 01:47:29 pm »
My bias is showing here but I really like the auto industry marketing articles like the Infiniti F1 sponsorship piece today. More along this line would be great.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:50 pm »
Behind the scenes stuff on tests would be nice.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 11:30:11 pm »
My bias is showing here but I really like the auto industry marketing articles like the Infiniti F1 sponsorship piece today. More along this line would be great.

i thought I was going to get run out of town for being a corporate shill on that one, but as I am embedded with the marketing teams at trader and have a bit of fascination with the advertising and marketing world, it spoke to me. and that they could peg the on-air exposure at $2 billion was astounding.

it can be hard to tackle the marketing efforts, and we've lost our advertising/marketing insider to retirement in Italy (Steven Bochenek was an ad copywriter and did some agency work in the advertising biz), but he did a neat article that we ran on trader:

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20140806/best-auto-marketing-of-the-past-year-or-two/#vt1rYhMLexL8RYK6.97

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 11:31:42 pm »
Behind the scenes stuff on tests would be nice.

I've been thinking about this for quite some time (and collecting photos), so I'll add that to my assignment pile.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 06:40:58 am »
I see it took you a while to think of something  ;D

Northernridge

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 10:03:17 am »