Author Topic: 3 Stage Snow Blowers  (Read 11259 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: 3 Stage Snow Blowers
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 01:17:45 pm »
I'm guessing your driveway is smaller?

I have no use for a large one (in fact getting it out of the garage with both cars inside would be tough) but I can certainly see people with 150'x40' driveways wanting something larger

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2014, 03:36:37 pm »
The hv is 2200 vs 2300 for the ariens, it also has a hydrostatic transmission vs gears on the ariens and the hv has a five year vs three year warranty

For long term ownership go with the gears.  If you have hydrostatic leaks or general failure out of warranty you might as well through the entire unit in the metal recycling bin.  The only hydrostatic I'd buy is the Honda.

Make sure you hear these things running, some are brutal.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2014, 03:45:42 pm »
The hv is 2200 vs 2300 for the ariens, it also has a hydrostatic transmission vs gears on the ariens and the hv has a five year vs three year warranty

For long term ownership go with the gears.  If you have hydrostatic leaks or general failure out of warranty you might as well through the entire unit in the metal recycling bin.  The only hydrostatic I'd buy is the Honda.

Make sure you hear these things running, some are brutal.
On Home Depot a very similar ariens is only 1900, it doesn't have quite as large of a motor but everything else looks the same, the dealer one is sho, but this one is not For $500 less since there is no pdi charge seems like a decent deal. 

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2014, 04:45:37 pm »
I would buy from a brand dealership rather than a big box store. Typically the big box outlets sell the cheapest models in bulk with bushings and other lower quality parts to keep costs down. I bought my Husky from a local dealer for $250 more than at Home Depot but it has real bearings and they actually service what they sell.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2014, 05:31:25 pm »
I would buy from a brand dealership rather than a big box store. Typically the big box outlets sell the cheapest models in bulk with bushings and other lower quality parts to keep costs down. I bought my Husky from a local dealer for $250 more than at Home Depot but it has real bearings and they actually service what they sell.

I just went to Home Depot, they look identical except for the engine to me.  Of course there are none in stock but you can order online.  I'm going to give the hv the once over on Monday and decide.  The hv dealership is also tight around the corner from my house.  That being said in my 7 years with the toro I have never had to go to a dealership for anything.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2014, 06:14:05 pm »
So today I got a chance to finish off tuning up the blower for the season and figured I may as well install the new belts I bought 4 years ago thinking they may be the reason it's not chucking snow that far any more.  Took the belt cover off and noticed a lot of movement coming from the lower pulley on the auger drive shaft. Took out the flashlight for a better look and noticed the main bearing is destroyed.  Also looks like the impeller beat the hell outta the casing while it was thrashing around... :P  Having a hard time though getting the main pulley off to get at the bearing.  Tried heating, prying and banging it out but no luck yet.

Anyway, I'll try and get a new bearing at the first of the week and have a look at some new blowers while I'm there.  I'll fix this one, but looks like it may be time for a new one... :-\  Like Snowman I don't mind paying extra at a specialty dealer that service and have knowledge about what they sell.  I've heard the same issue as Hammy regarding how difficult tracked units are to manoeuvre.  Besides for the money they want for a decent sized honda I figure I should be sitting down with heat blaring at me while the snow is being chucked.  I also want something big enough so I'm not spending half a day blowing out my yard.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:15:45 pm by KarlsDarwin »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2014, 06:22:29 pm »
How old is that unit?

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2014, 06:33:01 pm »
I said 12 earlier, but checked the invoice later and it was purchased in Oct 2001, so its now 13.  It's been over worked though as it's only 24" and my gravel driveway is around 150' long and 40' at the widest point.  I also have a walkway to the back door and another to my shed that I keep clear, so way too muck work for this little unit. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »
So if you were to get a new unit, would it be hydrostatic or fiction disk?  (exclude Hondas).

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
3 Stage Snow Blowers
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2014, 07:38:48 pm »
Changed the belt on mine today too.  Auger was starting to slip.  Easy job to split in half.

Unit is a craftsman like the huskies and Poulan pro,  with some cost cutting here and there, but it doesn't get a heavy workout.  It's 7-8 years old and still looks like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 08:34:20 pm »
So if you were to get a new unit, would it be hydrostatic or fiction disk?  (exclude Hondas).

Not sure.  I really wasn't expecting to buy one so haven't kept up to what is available.  Any suggestions?  I've always had good dealings with the place I bought my toro.  Bought lots of stuff from them over the years and always had good service and prices are competitive.  They are also the authorized service centre for HD. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2014, 08:43:51 pm »
If I were you KD, with your size of drive, I'd take a look at the Ariens Professional series.  Not sure if Toro or Husky have a similar line.  Mind you, it appears you've beat the hell out of your Toro and it lasted 13 years, so it doesn't seem you can go wrong that way either.

Like I mentioned previously,  on the outdoor power equipment forum I posted earlier, Ariens and Toro were spoken very highly of.  It may be worth your time browsing the forums there and seeing what is the latest and greatest.  I haven't spent any time on there in a few years.

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
I've been cruising the snowblower forums and they seem to love the ariens.  Makes me think it is the best way to go.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2014, 08:42:12 am »
If I were you KD, with your size of drive, I'd take a look at the Ariens Professional series.  Not sure if Toro or Husky have a similar line.  Mind you, it appears you've beat the hell out of your Toro and it lasted 13 years, so it doesn't seem you can go wrong that way either.

Like I mentioned previously,  on the outdoor power equipment forum I posted earlier, Ariens and Toro were spoken very highly of.  It may be worth your time browsing the forums there and seeing what is the latest and greatest.  I haven't spent any time on there in a few years.

My preferred dealer sells both Ariens and Toro, so I'll see what he has available.  They recommended Toro last time around, but that may have changed.  I did check out that forum and good info there for sure...thanks!

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2014, 02:25:51 pm »

My preferred dealer sells both Ariens and Toro, so I'll see what he has available.  They recommended Toro last time around, but that may have changed.  I did check out that forum and good info there for sure...thanks!

The forum guys seem to love the ariens blowers.  I always have my smaller toro 826 for backup as well.  I mean the toro might be fine but it would suck if it broke or I found it takes too long to clear the snow once we are into the middle of winter without a snowblower to be found. 

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2014, 06:50:19 pm »

The forum guys seem to love the ariens blowers.  I always have my smaller toro 826 for backup as well.  I mean the toro might be fine but it would suck if it broke or I found it takes too long to clear the snow once we are into the middle of winter without a snowblower to be found.

I think the dealer I mentioned above is also a Husq dealer.  I know the sell Husq chainsaws because I was looking at them there this spring when i was buying a new saw.  If that's the case it will be easier to compare them to each other.  They seem to be the ones I'm most interested in anyway. 

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2014, 11:40:03 am »
Ok,

So after extensive research I settled on a 2 stage Arien's Platinum 30 SHO which I bought at the local dealer for $2300 + tax.  Looks like a great machine and it has this new auto turn system that looks like it works very well.  I was surprised how few parts are inside one of these things after watching a few youtube videos on them.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2014, 12:02:09 pm »
Ok,

So after extensive research I settled on a 2 stage Arien's Platinum 30 SHO which I bought at the local dealer for $2300 + tax.  Looks like a great machine and it has this new auto turn system that looks like it works very well.  I was surprised how few parts are inside one of these things after watching a few youtube videos on them.

30" wow takes up a lot of space, but if you have a big driveway it will do the job. Can't go wrong with Ariens. Has not failed me yet. Congrats of the new snow toy.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:47 pm »
Ok,

Congrats on the new machine, it will serve you well.  When I first bought my machine I too was surprised how simple they are, almost archaic in design.  But if its simple, works, and keeps the costs down, then why not.  I'm sure the hydrostatic machines have a lot more to them.

Offline Flinter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +44/-30
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 128i, 2017 Kia RIO EX, 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WDGMC Sierra
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2014, 02:33:50 pm »
Ok,

Congrats! My 24" deluxe also has the auto-turn feature. Before trying it I was a bit skeptical thinking that it might result in the machine mistakenly activating auto-turn if the blower hit an obstacle like a piece of ice etc. However, I tried out my blower this weekend and the auto-turn works pretty seamlessly. As you try and turn the blower, it seems to automatically disengage the inside wheel and it can rotate on a dime. I didn't feel like I was fighting the machine at all.

Curious what is involved with the "SHO" version of the Platinum 30? IIRC it means super high output but I'm not sure what is different about the machine??