Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT  (Read 13693 times)

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Mazda3 Sport GT
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 01:31:42 am »
I really like the Mazda3 in its cheaper guises for $20 to $22K. I've driven two of my friends' cars that were made in Japan they got back in May/June. Now these vehicles are sourced from Mexico and an unoroven plant and there are all sorts of rumours of bad paint. Plus Mazda Canada saves the 6% import duty on Japanese cars.

Even $27K for the GT strikes me as too much, let alone adding fripperies like 18 inch wheels, leather uphostery, and $300 for red paint. Then you could add another $2500 for all the electronic whizbang doodads, and another $1200 for an automatic.

More than a 5 door GTI. To say an expensive loaded Mazda3 is like a fish out of water is understating its bad value for money. For $35K you could also get a loaded Accord Coupe 6MT V6 and really enjoy yourself while getting the same highway mileage in the real world. Or a half-dozen other choices.

So if I met someone who actually owned one of these cars with all the options, I'd have to question their very sanity. Just as I would owners of the Kia Forte and its scary crash test results.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 07:04:23 am »
...because the article mentions it:

At $32k, is the base WRX for $29,999+freight not a stellar deal in comparison?  Yeah yeah, not apples to apples...but if your argument is for the 6MT, then the WRX is a far better offer in base trim.

As a nice compact is concerned, the Mazda3GT has a lot to offer, but is higher-priced than its competition, depreciates faster than it should, and has questionable quality bits (paint, interior plastic).

Would I spend $32k on this?  hell no.  $22k on a GS?  Maybe...but then I'd just be tempted by anything else in this category for $2k cheaper.

First of all, no one in their right minds would spend $2k on those ugly aftermarket wheels, the OEM wheels are so much nicer. So $30k.

Second of all, this is not the most expensive package. :D $2k for the technology package that's only available with the automatic transmission. So $32k.

Third, it does make the Mazda 6 seem like a deal being just $2k more equipped with about the same stuff.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 09:38:28 am »
Does Canada not get Active Cruise Control on the Mazda 3 GT with Technology packet?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 10:40:00 am »
I love this car but 7.9 is too much...Similar trip with three and a lot of load in my wife's Matrix returns...7.5!

Was it summer time when you went? What speed were you going?
Yes, it was in the summer with AC permanently on. And the speed was with about mandatory 15 km/h over the limit where is possible. Anyway, I really expected the opposite results.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 02:01:27 pm »
Even $27K for the GT strikes me as too much, let alone adding fripperies like 18 inch wheels, leather uphostery, and $300 for red paint. Then you could add another $2500 for all the electronic whizbang doodads, and another $1200 for an automatic.

The automatic is actually the same price as the manual in GT trim (just like on the Mazda 6).

And the price isn't really out of line if you look at competitors like the Golf or Focus.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 06:48:13 pm »
let alone adding fripperies like 18 inch wheels,

The GT comes standard with 18" wheels.

Yes, it was in the summer with AC permanently on. And the speed was with about mandatory 15 km/h over the limit where is possible. Anyway, I really expected the opposite results.

I noticed winter time driving on average has a 10-15% penalty over driving in the summer. That's with A/C use is the same in both cases.

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2014, 08:11:26 am »
I love this car but 7.9 is too much...Similar trip with three and a lot of load in my wife's Matrix returns...7.5!
The 2,5 litre is relatively thirsty, but also notably more powerful than your Matrix. Folks with the 2,0 litre seem to be getting notably better real-world results, regardless off what the gov't fuel test cycles might suggest. And if I'm honest, I think the 2 litre is a better fit for the Mazda 3 but that could just be me.

yeap, mine shows 6.9 combine

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2014, 10:54:24 am »
I really like the 3 and some of the other compacts, but no way in hell I'm dropping $30K for a FWD anything.

Offline jamescottam

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2014, 06:44:07 pm »
Kudos to Mazda for offering the 2.5/manual combination. Myself, I'd likely go for an Accord with a stick. And as for the 30K WRX - it sounds nice (really tempting) but damn, it's a buckboard to drive. I couldn't take that ride for 5 years. But hey, in a world of disappearing manual transmissions, I hope Mazda sells a lot of these 3s.

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:17 pm »
The GT comes standard with 18" wheels.

And really bad proportions. That front overhang looks way too long while the cabin looks sawed-off. Bad design.
Since October 2015 the Junior PM has been in office.  Record mega-Billion deficits as he p*sses away our future.  An economy gutted. Stinky POTHEADS rejoice. We are going down the drain.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2014, 07:11:21 am »
And really bad proportions. That front overhang looks way too long while the cabin looks sawed-off. Bad design.

Too bad a lot of Vancouverites disagree with you with these popping up like crazy!  ;D Vancouver loves Mazda 3s and the new one is no exception. The hood looks long for two reasons, one they brought the glass in, the dash is pretty short if you sit inside. I prefer the shorter dash myself, dashboards have gotten way too long recently. Second, the 4-2-1 header with the engine mounted transversely requires a lot of room. They weren't able to fit this header into the previous gen Mazda 3 Skyactiv.

Styling is subjective and you're never going to please everyone.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2014, 08:24:13 am »
There's also the Euro pedestrian safety standards to consider, I'm sure they contribute to the longer overhang/tall hood.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2014, 08:42:55 am »
There's also the Euro pedestrian safety standards to consider, I'm sure they contribute to the longer overhang/tall hood.
+1 this has been a driver of automotive design for quite awhile now. There must be sufficient space between the bonnet and any hard internals underneath in order to reduce injuries.

That fancy 4-2-1 header does take up and awful lot of room behind the engine (hence not the most efficient use of space).

Offline Oldsguy

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +70/-953
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2014, 11:49:54 am »
+1 this has been a driver of automotive design for quite awhile now. There must be sufficient space between the bonnet and any hard internals underneath in order to reduce injuries.

That fancy 4-2-1 header does take up and awful lot of room behind the engine (hence not the most efficient use of space).

Other makes sell in Euroland without resorting to such an oversized and ungainly schnozz. It is a deliberate design statement by Mazda that looks awkward.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »

Other makes sell in Euroland without resorting to such an oversized and ungainly schnozz. It is a deliberate design statement by Mazda that looks awkward.
Actually a lot of folks lodged complaints about the BMW E90 when it first was released for its rather high and unshapely front end as well. Some of the newer designs from Europe feature an Active Bonnet which raises the bonnet when it detects a pedestrian impact so there doesn't have to be as much space between the bonnet and the hard engine components.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2014, 04:34:37 pm »
The sedan looks better with the long hood than the hatchback does.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2014, 05:20:06 pm »

It's that 4-2-1 header that forces them to make the shcnozz long. 

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2014, 05:29:11 pm »

Actually a lot of folks lodged complaints about the BMW E90 when it first was released for its rather high and unshapely front end as well. Some of the newer designs from Europe feature an Active Bonnet which raises the bonnet when it detects a pedestrian impact so there doesn't have to be as much space between the bonnet and the hard engine components.

Darn pedestrians.  Maybe they should all be wearing Michelin Man jackets so they'll bounce off cars with more shapely styling  ;D