Poll

If an animal or object is in your vehicles path, what do you do?

Just hit it
11 (26.8%)
Swerve around or brake and avoid, always.
4 (9.8%)
Swerve around or brake and avoid, if it seems safe enough to do so
16 (39%)
I only try to avoid hitting moose or other huge animals
4 (9.8%)
I let The Force guide my decision
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: To swerve and avoid, or just hit it  (Read 7145 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: To swerve and avoid, or just hit it
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2014, 05:55:25 pm »
Just hit it??? Really?? ??? If it's safe to brake, swerve or do ANYTHING to avoid hitting an animal or any object in the road ahead of you, why the fack wouldn't you?? This has to be one of the stupidest questions I've ever seen posted here. Christ almighty..... ::)

Would you rather hit an animal at high speed with the part of the car that is mainly designed to absorb impacts, the front end, or swerve, hit the ditch and roll at high speed?? We aren't talking about a head on with another car or a semi here.

You can do both, hit the deer and then crash and die.  Sometimes it's hard to drive with a smashed windshield and a thrashing deer in your lap. 
There are lots of scenarios.   There are no absolute right answers.
Man Hits Deer, Dies In Fire Following Crash

Bainbridge man killed after hitting deer on I-88

Absolutely, impossible to make an absolute guide to hitting animals, way too many variables.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2014, 05:56:03 pm »
I've avoided quite a few deer that have run onto the road, no need to Bo Luke into the sky or even go off the road.  Brake HARD, reducing velocity as much as possible, then steer (not yank the wheel like you're a giving a $5 happy ending) around as best as possible.  I did glance off a coyote once, and the damage was far less than if I'd hit it square on.  Sadly, the coyote still died, but at least my car had very little to be repaired.

No, no absolute right answer as every situation is different, but I do what has worked for me in the past.  Keep speeds down in known animal dense areas, look ahead, plan to brake, and be very, very careful in the dark.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »
This is kind of a loaded question.

If you and a deer are destined to collide you won't even have enough time to hit the brake.  They come out of the tree line or out of a deep ditch and BANG.  For insurance purposes it's a lot easier if you kill it on the spot.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2014, 06:01:09 pm »

If you and a deer are destined to collide you won't even have enough time to hit the brake.  They come out of the tree line or out of a deep ditch and BANG.  For insurance purposes it's a lot easier if you kill it on the spot.

Absolutely, for the most part I've been lucky and noticed deer in time, but often you don't even have time to react. 
You are also spot on about insurance, if you crash avoiding a deer you are screwed, if you have fur in your grill it's a comprehensive insurance claim. (I believe)
Mr Pickypants

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2014, 06:09:13 pm »
if you have fur in your grill it's a comprehensive insurance claim. (I believe)

Yes, any animal hit in Ontario is deemed zero fault and falls under comprehensive.  Sure hope they don't change that the greedy b*stards.

NOTE TO ALL! .... one must remain at the scene.  You've got to have the attending Police sign on to the fact that a deer or other such animal was struck.  This can be a b*tch in certain areas where OPP can be 4 or 5 hours from attending.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2014, 06:22:33 pm »
as much as i hate to kill anything, i'm only going to brake and make very safe attempts to avoid...

in the case of giant things like moose and close things like deer, i hope i see them in time and i can only say what i'd like to do (avoid). but there is a reason they are called accidents... they rarely happen when you are expecting them...

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +242/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2014, 06:35:07 pm »
if you have fur in your grill it's a comprehensive insurance claim. (I believe)

Yes, any animal hit in Ontario is deemed zero fault and falls under comprehensive.  Sure hope they don't change that the greedy b*stards.

I have heard that this is true only for wild animals, hit a cow and you have to sue the farmer.  I'm not sure if this is still valid information.

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2014, 06:39:57 pm »
Depends on the situation.   No hard fast rule.   Maybe don't drive that fast in Newfoundland.  Pay attention to the sides of the road and far ahead.  Leave sufficient space between you and the guy in front of you so that you have time to react. 

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »
Depends on the situation.   No hard fast rule.   Maybe don't drive that fast in Newfoundland.  Pay attention to the sides of the road and far ahead.  Leave sufficient space between you and the guy in front of you so that you have time to react.

What are you, some kind of radical? ;)
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2014, 07:00:59 pm »
I have heard that this is true only for wild animals, hit a cow and you have to sue the farmer.  I'm not sure if this is still valid information.

Not valid.  Your insurance company pays the damage and then has the option to subrogate a claim against the farmer or a dog owner for that matter.  Legally it's "animal at large", wild or domestic matters not.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2014, 11:37:51 pm »

Very true.  We live near a deer population.  Since there's no hunting, and the area abuts a provincial park and a baited migratory bird area...there are too many deer.  Every time I approach the area, I drop my speed from 80km/h to 50km/h.  Even that's not enough.  Last year I nearly hit a deer in the 911.  I had a hoof scratch on my front bumper...that's how close it was.

On the day I brought the 911 home, I destroyed a rabbit.  IQ was behind me and she said the rabbit's head nearly landed on her hood.  Whoops!

An another time, I saw a group of 4-5 rabbits playing around, running towards the street.  I knew they wouldn't stop.  I said, out loud well in advance "Dead rabbit!".  IQ's sister was in the car and as she was saying "Where?"....THUMP!  Dead rabbit....
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 11:41:41 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 09:39:08 am »
I'm in dundas where we have to have a cull every year or so to decrease the deer population.. and they are stupid too...

my friends laugh because they get all excited, "ohhhh a deer!"... then they think i'm a horrible person as i run at them and threaten to punch them (the deer, not my friends). just last night i went out to clean off my wife's car and there was a 7 pointer and a doe in my yard about 15 feet from me... i try to freak them out so they will be scared of humans.... i don't want them casually wandering around our roads....

i will see an average of one deer every day on the last leg of my drive... on that windy hilly section of my drive.. i'm sure it's just a matter of time until i hit one... and i will hit it because i will most likely have nowhere else to go.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 10:21:48 am »
Just hit it??? Really?? ??? If it's safe to brake, swerve or do ANYTHING to avoid hitting an animal or any object in the road ahead of you, why the fack wouldn't you?? This has to be one of the stupidest questions I've ever seen posted here. Christ almighty..... ::)

It's not stupid at all. I've often heard that unless you're hitting a moose, don't bother swerving.

Obviously we can point to cases where people have died when hitting a deer but I think it's safe to say you're much more likely to die if you end up rolling the vehicle or hitting oncoming traffic or a large stationary object.

A guy I used to work with knew twin brothers who died when the girl who was driving the car they were in swerved to avoid ducks in the road and ended up driving into a lake.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 10:50:57 am »
on my way home last night.

on 100km/h road, 6 lanes divided, i'm going 110+ (GPS says i'm under 110)  thru a mild curve, evening rush hour is starting and the road is .. occupied but  not yet crowded.

a FAT ground squirrel jumps on the road and waddles its way across.   fattest ground squirrel i've ever seen...

in my mind i said 'ohhhhhh sh1t, i'm gonna hit that thing.'

i did not slow down, i did not swerve, i didn't do anything but try so that the squirrel would be BETWEEN my wheels so i would drive over it.   I wasn't about to risk myself or others around me by applying any sudden maneuvers..

I saw the intact squirrel still waddling across in my rear view mirror and i breathed the sigh of relief.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 11:05:46 am »
If I don't have time to analyze the consequences of slowing/swerving, I do not.  Not sure how, but I had a squirrel run right across underneath my car.  I was waiting for a crunch that never came and then saw the little animal clear the opposite side.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 11:13:54 am »
Ever have your partner say out loud "DEER" while you are driving down the highway. After you senses go into over load looking for it they point to it 500m in the field.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 11:26:47 am »
It's a hard call to make regarding deer as every situation is unique.  My friend's wife hit a deer at speed on the hwy and didn't have a chance to hit the brakes.  The deer flipped over the car and caused very little damage.  The car was still road worthy as my buddy drove it home afterward.  I'm certain with a moose it would be a different story.  Deer are rampant in my hood so I am constantly scanning the road ahead.  Haven't hit one yet and have avoided hitting many by braking and/or swerving. Luckily we don't have the constant traffic congestion of some areas so swerving is usually a valid option at a reasonable speed.

I fat fingered the poll and picked 2 instead of 3 last night when i submitted my vote...fakin ipad... :P
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 11:31:35 am by KarlsDarwin »

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2014, 11:27:24 am »
my god yes quad....

you get white knuckled, hover over every fricken pedal in existence, and clench your butt cheeks to realize they are talking about something in a different area code

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2014, 11:28:05 am »
I was really impressed with NoTo's 'Eyesight' story from his Subaru review. In all the deer hits I've had, there's never been time to do much more than hit the brakes and see what happens next.

At least with a car you are in a safety cage, motorcyclists are not that fortunate:

The Wisconsin DOT site devoted to the deer problem says that while only 2% of car-deer collisions were fatal to humans, 84.9% of the motorcycle-deer crashes involved human fatalities.

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/critter-crashes-how-to-avoid-deer-and-other-animals-motorcycle

Another interesting tidbit from that article:

A moose can weigh over 1200 pounds. Their coloration "sucks" the light and they appear invisible in the dusk and night hours. Unlike deer, rarely does one see the reflection of their eyes in a headlight beam. They usually react to oncoming vehicles by jumping in the road and quartering away from the vehicle across the road so their fur absorbs the light rather than reflect across the guard hairs on their coat. If you see their fawn colored haunches (the insides of their back legs), then you better be at a dead stop because you are much too close for comfort.

Interesting fact about automobile-moose collisions: if the driver never sees the moose and hits it at full speed there is rarely a fatality. The automobile front end clips the legs and the moose either rolls off the roof of the car or barely touches the car depending on the speed of the collision and the height of the car. If the driver sees the moose and panic brakes, the moose usually goes through the windshield, causing severe injury or death.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2014, 11:34:54 am »
didn't mythbusters do that on an episode? found that no matter what speed, the moose destroyed the car?...

found this... http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/speed-up-when-you-hit-a-moose.htm