Author Topic: Want a legititimate 5 seater with diesel, AWD, manual tran and less than $35k  (Read 37933 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
What about the Golf Alltrack?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/21/vw-golf-alltrack-us-sales-confirmed/

Apparently coming to NA this year. Sounds like maybe just the 1.8T which seems to be very good but I suppose a TDi version might show up too.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
I think you're going to have to choose between the AWD and Diesel or Diesel and Manual Transmission.

I thought my choice was between MT + AWD (= Subaru) OR Diesel + MT (=Golf Wagon)

(What is the least expensive AWD and Diesel 5 seater?)

$55k+ for a Touareg?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Used Dodge Ram 2500 with Cummins and Manual?

Full-size trucks have ditched manuals eons ago. These big macho things only come with slushies.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Right now only VW offers a manual diesel, and even in a wagon.  They're just some AWD bits from offering us, um, NIRVANA!

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
I think you're going to have to choose between the AWD and Diesel or Diesel and Manual Transmission.

I thought my choice was between MT + AWD (= Subaru) OR Diesel + MT (=Golf Wagon)

(What is the least expensive AWD and Diesel 5 seater?)

Audi Q5 or VW Touareg - you'd have to check. One of these from the CPO program would fit 2 requirements out of 3 and your budget. The most recent awd diesel with manual is probably a 20 y.o. Land Cruiser as someone already posted.

Manual + awd + 5 seats is already pretty rare: Jeep (Compass, Patriot, Wrangler Unlimited), Subaru (all 4-pots), MINI (Countryman S), Audi (S4 and a selected few others), and I'm not even sure if BMW still offers xDrive with 3 pedals.

The only perfect match would be the new VW wagon, IF 4Motion is available, AND if they make it available with a stick - to date, all NA 4Motions are automatics. If the MINI Countryman moves to the turbo 3 with awd, that'd be pretty frugal.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT

Full-size trucks have ditched manuals eons ago. These big macho things only come with slushies.

Nope, actually still available... and fits the description if you remove the price requirement! See the 2EA

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I did some building and this fits everything except price

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Nope, actually still available... and fits the description if you remove the price requirement! See the 2EA

Nice find! I never checked the HD trucks.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Or, it looks like you could get the diesel Ram 1500 for $35k, but only with an automatic.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
NO COMPROMISES!.

Though at @ 55k you could buy a fun manual awd car (say wrx) and a AWD diesel 5 seater

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon

Not that it is a full size truck but our neighbour loves his *2* Toyota Forerunners...each having a manual transmission and each with over 400k kms!

Offline 21Rouge

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Vibe; 15 TDI Golf Wagon
The time frame to replace our Chevrolet Traverse is 2015. As far I can tell given what has been mentioned in this thread the choice will be between a manual Subaru Forrester/Outback or a manual TDI Golf Wagon.

(Anyone by chance have any of these vehicles in their possession?)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
TurboBob has the Golf TDI

There 5WheelDrive has the previous gen forester in manual, and a few others have it auto

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Golf Wa.... never mind...  :rofl2:

Where do you live?  Do you really need AWD or would a good set of snows do?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2014/10/07/2015_volkswagen_golf_tdi_wagon_the_perfect_car_for_wild_west_journey.html
I thought we were getting the new generation wagon as 2015...  ???

I think it's coming in 2015, but will be sold as a 2016.

... Do you really need AWD or would a good set of snows do?

Not an either/or, IMO.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
http://www.thestar.com/autos/2014/10/07/2015_volkswagen_golf_tdi_wagon_the_perfect_car_for_wild_west_journey.html
I thought we were getting the new generation wagon as 2015...  ???

I think it's coming in 2015, but will be sold as a 2016.

Not an either/or, IMO.

Where I live a good set of snows will do just fine, I have never felt the need for AWD.  But I do realise that I don't live in the snowiest part of Canada.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
In most urban environments, a 2WD car with snow tires will handle winter just fine.  Even in plowing-handicapped Edmonton, our Corolla on Blizzaks does very well.  The reason we have AWD vehicles in our stable is for the frequent trips to the mountains.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Not an either/or, IMO.

Where I live a good set of snows will do just fine, I have never felt the need for AWD.  But I do realise that I don't live in the snowiest part of Canada.

Maybe I misread that. I've never felt the need for AWD either, just saying that AWD is not a substitute for winter tires. Winter tires should be a given, regardless of FWD or AWD.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Not an either/or, IMO.

Maybe I misread that. I've never felt the need for AWD either, just saying that AWD is not a substitute for winter tires. Winter tires should be a given, regardless of FWD or AWD.

Ah OK, agreed.