Author Topic: Golf R negotiation  (Read 51801 times)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +110/-454
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Golf R negotiation
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2014, 01:00:59 pm »
I'm trying to understand something.  Other than the look (only the EU version has been shown thus far as I understand it) and basic powertrain outlines, we don't know anything about the Golf R....and yet you want to but it sight and price unseen? 

Even if it was a car I'd REALLY want, I would wait before putting down that deposit until they could guarantee a price, the cost of the extended warranty and other things.
I totally get you.  I think it's crazy for anyone to buy a mainstream vehicle without test driving it first.  That's why I drove over 20 vehicles this summer. 

But here's the reason why I'm so confident with the Golf R.  I drove the GTI and loved it.  The only thing I wanted was more power and not as keen on the FWD.  It's safe to assume that 80 more horse power and AWD, wrapped in basically the same shell as the GTI, I'll like even more.  I've already told them that I'll still have to test drive it before I can say for sure it's the car I want. 

As far as sight unseen, it's being sold in other markets and loads of pictures/vids out there.  Price is a bit more murky, we know the RS3 is $44,000, so thinking the Golf R is a few thousand less is a safe assumption.  Again, any deposit is refundable and at only $500 I won't be missing the access of those funds for the next few months.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:03:10 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 01:27:58 pm »
DSG Golf R is just over $37k USD, or $41k with nav, 19" wheels, and some other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada only gets the loaded version so I don't think $45k is out of the question. Hopefully they'll offer a manual too.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 01:33:36 pm »
a specialty car like that is a tough one. i'm not sure about allocation, but if they really do have one sold, they might not even get another.

also, on special cars, to get them, the dealer sometimes has to do a favour or two... like take 5 cars that are slow movers/low profitability, hence another reason for the lack of negotiating room.

you can ask for tires, no problem. just don't be shocked and appalled if they say nope. even a special car, i wouldn't pay over what the number comes up on a build and price though. even on a rare one... some dealers will force additional fees or products on the rare ones, but make that a part of the negotiating... "i'll pay ___ with no additional fees and snow tires included. i'm willing to sign and put a deposit down now if that is accepted".

the issue is that pricing might not be set in stone yet, and with this length of time before delivery, it's hard to nail down anything.
That's the problem, I can't tell them I'll pay $___ as no one has a price yet.  I can only say I'll pay the MSRP, when that is determined for our market.

i think that is fair... if someone gave me that offer on a hellcat, done. (the msrp part.. winter tires i'd just laugh.. not because of the price, but because... winter tires? on this.. ha!)
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2014, 01:35:42 pm »
DSG Golf R is just over $37k USD, or $41k with nav, 19" wheels, and some other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if Canada only gets the loaded version so I don't think $45k is out of the question. Hopefully they'll offer a manual too.
I've heard this before.  I don't see them charging more for a Golf R than a Audi RS3.  But stranger things have happened.  I just think the chances of this is quite slim.  You're entitled to your opinion.  I won't be needing the nav or the upgraded wheels so if there is a base model, that's the one I'll be going for.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2014, 01:46:46 pm »
a specialty car like that is a tough one. i'm not sure about allocation, but if they really do have one sold, they might not even get another.

also, on special cars, to get them, the dealer sometimes has to do a favour or two... like take 5 cars that are slow movers/low profitability, hence another reason for the lack of negotiating room.

you can ask for tires, no problem. just don't be shocked and appalled if they say nope. even a special car, i wouldn't pay over what the number comes up on a build and price though. even on a rare one... some dealers will force additional fees or products on the rare ones, but make that a part of the negotiating... "i'll pay ___ with no additional fees and snow tires included. i'm willing to sign and put a deposit down now if that is accepted".

the issue is that pricing might not be set in stone yet, and with this length of time before delivery, it's hard to nail down anything.
That's the problem, I can't tell them I'll pay $___ as no one has a price yet.  I can only say I'll pay the MSRP, when that is determined for our market.

i think that is fair... if someone gave me that offer on a hellcat, done. (the msrp part.. winter tires i'd just laugh.. not because of the price, but because... winter tires? on this.. ha!)
Same scenario only they want the winter tires for a Grand Cherokee SRT.  You throw those in?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 01:52:51 pm »
yep. all day, every day. want one?!

but again, we know the pricing on those, and they aren't allocation. i bet these R's will be something between the hellcats and srt jeeps...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 01:54:35 pm »
yep. all day, every day. want one?!

but again, we know the pricing on those, and they aren't allocation. i bet these R's will be something between the hellcats and srt jeeps...
If you can get me one for the price of the old Golf R, I'd be tempted.  How many hellcats are allocated for Canada, and are there really that many SRT jeeps being sold?

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 02:10:14 pm »
the jeep is the best selling of the srt group... i've sold 4 this year, so if that gives you any idea... the hellcat is a sold units only type of car... no dealer is supposed to get any for their lot.

they aren't giving numbers for the hellcat, only saying they want to sell as many as people want... so the only cap is on production ability really.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »
get an Audi S3 and be done with it....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 02:17:32 pm »

Interior is not my taste, no hatchback, and no manual. 

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 10:09:01 am »
I was through there this weekend and they had a WRX parked in front of the building. No sold sign or anything.
The black one.  That's the one I test drove.  I gaurantee it is sold by now, as the sales person had a list of people who wanted to get one.  I just happened to be second on the list and as said above only reason I got to drive it was because the guy who order it changed his mind and wants a different trim level.

Was still there last night, might go check it out early next week.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2014, 10:19:28 am »

Agreed.  I find the Golf R MUCH more desirable than the baby Audi.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2014, 10:22:06 am »
I was through there this weekend and they had a WRX parked in front of the building. No sold sign or anything.
The black one.  That's the one I test drove.  I gaurantee it is sold by now, as the sales person had a list of people who wanted to get one.  I just happened to be second on the list and as said above only reason I got to drive it was because the guy who order it changed his mind and wants a different trim level.

Just cause it's still there doesn't mean it isn't sold and unavailable for test drives.  That being said it's the top of the line WRX, so probably a harder one for them to find a customer for.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:41 am »

One of the most appealing aspects of the Golf R to me is that it's a bit of a sleeper.  Other than the rims and 4 exhaust tips out back it would be rather hard to spot and probably 90 percent of the public think it's just a regular old Golf.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2014, 10:23:54 am »

Just cause it's still there doesn't mean it isn't sold and unavailable for test drives.  That being said it's the top of the line WRX, so probably a harder one for them to find a customer for.

Well I'm assuming it isn't because there were a bunch of cars with sold signs on them there (including a white BRZ) but who knows.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2014, 10:39:10 am »

One of the most appealing aspects of the Golf R to me is that it's a bit of a sleeper.  Other than the rims and 4 exhaust tips out back it would be rather hard to spot and probably 90 percent of the public think it's just a regular old Golf.

Agreed.  But mostly it's the manual transmission (essential in a small car to me) and hatch (almost as important).

This would be basically perfect for me:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2014, 11:06:16 am »

Agreed.  But mostly it's the manual transmission (essential in a small car to me) and hatch (almost as important).

This would be basically perfect for me:
Too bad BMW doesn't bring something like that over.  I drove the 228i and was very impressed but the utility the hatch would offer would put it even higher up my list.  Plus now you can get a 2 series with AWD (but sadly with only a automatic).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2014, 10:39:29 am »
So I put my $500 deposit down on a Golf R yesterday as all the dealers I called said they required it prior to even knowing if they'd get one.  I made sure it was refundable and the salesperson understands that we'll be discussing numbers when they get released for Canada in the new year.  I also told them that I'll only buy a Golf R with a manual so I might be waiting awhile.

Guess my next question is what vehicles do you think I should test in the new year, or that are coming in the new year?

I'm looking for a sports car/hot hatch.  Preferably something that is either RWD or AWD, but could be swayed to FWD if it's amazing.  Here's what I've drove so far in this category and have crossed off my list VW GTI, Audi A3, BMW 228i, Ford Mustang GT (don't get me started on why I crossed that off the list), Caddy ATS, Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0L, Subaru WRX & BRZ, Mercedes CLA, Ford Fiesta ST (didn't drive it because seats are too narrow in the shoulders), and Mazda 3 GT manual.

Basically my price range is maximum of $400 biweekly with $5,000 down (preferably $350 biweekly or less but could stretch the budget a bit for the right car) over 60 months.  Not really looking at used vehicles unless I can get a factory warranty for entire term of loan.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2014, 10:44:56 am »
What about Focus ST?

Which dealership did you go to for the bad treatment for Mustang? Riverview, or Wood Motors? I had a pretty good experience with both, though I ended up buying from Riverview.

How important is having a dealership locally? That narrows your choices here in Fredericton

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2014, 10:50:41 am »
Here's what I've drove so far in this category and have crossed off my list VW GTI, Audi A3, BMW 228i, Ford Mustang GT (don't get me started on why I crossed that off the list), Caddy ATS, Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0L, Subaru WRX & BRZ, Mercedes CLA, Ford Fiesta ST (didn't drive it because seats are too narrow in the shoulders), and Mazda 3 GT manual.

That's a pretty exhaustive list.  There really isn't much left to look at.

IMO, the Golf R competes in a field of one.  If it is exactly what you are looking for there isn't anything else out there that will fit the bill.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.