Author Topic: Auto Tech: All-Weather Tires  (Read 48340 times)

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
Re: Auto Tech: All-Weather Tires
« Reply #140 on: November 24, 2014, 02:52:07 pm »
   The data is un-reliable. It does not indicate weather the AST shod vehicles were responsible for the incidents when other vehicles were involved...from what I recall anyway. They may have been hit by a vehicle on snows. Even the percentages vary from quote to quote.

Let me try to understand... that data is unreliable but your intuition about driving slower being fine is reliable?  ::)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #141 on: November 24, 2014, 02:58:00 pm »
How does mental aptitude by province factor into all this?

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »
The demographics of the population certainly plays a role... I expect more accidents in Fredericton with the amount of 80+yr olds driving who can't seem to see the markings on the lane, let alone pedestrians and other cars  ::)

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #143 on: November 24, 2014, 03:13:39 pm »
How does mental aptitude by province factor into all this?

hmm...  highest highschool drop out rate in Canada in AB...

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #144 on: November 24, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »
We can argue back and forth, but the fact is that winter tires give you better control in cold weather.

It took legislation to get seat belts in all cars. When people wouldn't use them we got legislation for air bags. Then legislation for door braces. These add costs to vehicles. If we legislate winter tires, perhaps we should legislate that every vehicle sold should be sold with a set of winter tires on rims. Changing tires ruins tire beads and increases the chance of leaks and tire failures.

I am retired, on a small income, but I have winter tires on dedicated rims. The highest single cost was the 4 TPM sensors! Total cost for tires, rims, and TPM sensors was $1,200, mounted and balanced. Canadian Tire has 0% interest with twelve equal payments. I cannot afford this, but I will pay for them. I pick up my Grandchildren every second weekend for their sleepover. Anyone care to put a price on them?

Have a great day, everyone!

Very well put. I have said this for ages, here in the prairies it should mandatory for every new vehicle to come with a full set of winter wheels/tires/sensors when you purchase it. The TPMS sensors, I know that they are mandatory, but really, why the f$%k are they so expensive, $20-30/a tire, ok, whatever, $60, 80 or $100/tire, WTF, they made with essence of unicorn??

But what if someone buys something they don't plan to drive in the winter? I'm okay with mandating the use of winter tires but forcing the cost on people who may or may not use them is ridiculous.

If you aren't going to drive a vehicle in the winter, park it in your driveway, cancel the insurance and remove the plates. No winter tires required and you'll save on insurance.

Sure, but he's calling for vehicle sales to include winter wheels and tires. That's going too far IMO.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #145 on: November 24, 2014, 04:41:59 pm »
The other advantage of steel winter rims is they don't corrode as aluminum wheels do.  When the corrosion occurs, it degrades the seal and the tires develop slow leaks.

Mags used only for summer when there is no salt on the road, hold their seals longer.

Cheers,
John M.

Prior to joining the winter tire bandwagon, I used aluminum wheels year round.....never had leaks due to corrosion.  That said, after a few years steel wheels start to look rather rusty/crappy.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »
The demographics of the population certainly plays a role... I expect more accidents in Fredericton with the amount of 80+yr olds driving who can't seem to see the markings on the lane, let alone pedestrians and other cars  ::)

I've never seen so many people run red lights so slowly, as in Fredericton, "Land of the Living Dead".
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 24, 2014, 05:50:34 pm »

I've never seen so many people run red lights so slowly, as in Fredericton, "Land of the Living Dead".

:rofl2:

Seriously though Ottawa is similar... Maybe the civil servants have their own rules ?  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #148 on: November 24, 2014, 07:03:53 pm »

:rofl2: I've never driven there but the image of that is pretty funny.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2014, 07:09:18 pm »
The other advantage of steel winter rims is they don't corrode as aluminum wheels do.  When the corrosion occurs, it degrades the seal and the tires develop slow leaks.

Mags used only for summer when there is no salt on the road, hold their seals longer.

Cheers,
John M.

Prior to joining the winter tire bandwagon, I used aluminum wheels year round.....never had leaks due to corrosion.  That said, after a few years steel wheels start to look rather rusty/crappy.

And I've mounted my winter tires on aluminum rims since 2000 and never had any corrosion/leaking issues.

But that's in Alberta: might not have been so fortunate in the salty east. (We do use salt here, but not as much apparently.)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Auto Tech: All-Weather Tires
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2014, 07:37:18 pm »

Cheers,
John M.

And I've mounted my winter tires on aluminum rims since 2000 and never had any corrosion/leaking issues.

But that's in Alberta: might not have been so fortunate in the salty east. (We do use salt here, but not as much apparently.)
This and I do the same.  The roads out east turn white from the salt.  It's pretty crazy how much they use.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2014, 09:49:58 pm »
This and I do the same.  The roads out east turn white from the salt.  It's pretty crazy how much they use.
My area pre-treats with brine (unless it is forecasted to rain before the snow), then dumps down the salt as well. Granted there is a limitation as to how effective it is if it gets colder than -10°C or so.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 24, 2014, 11:15:10 pm »
All-season FWD, all-season rwd, studded winter rwd, all-terrain 4wd, run up a slope. You'll never guess which two are absolutely useless.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRC7aU3utw

I see this play out in traffic over and over again.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #153 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:48 pm »
All-season FWD, all-season rwd, studded winter rwd, all-terrain 4wd, run up a slope. You'll never guess which two are absolutely useless.  ::)

Don't bother....hes beyond saving. Apparently careful driving somehow creates traction...... ::)

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 24, 2014, 11:20:39 pm »

Damn, that is a nice Protege 5! Rust free.  :P

Northernridge

« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2014, 11:35:59 pm »
Manitoba Public Insurance (our public auto insurer) said that they're expecting 1,000 collision claims today in Winnipeg due to icy road conditions. They couldn't handle the rush of claim calls.

Winter tires won't prevent all the accidents of course but I believe they will drop the number/severity of the collisions. For some reason municipal snow clearing departments seem to get a free pass. I think the current no-clear policy is a major contributor to winter wrecks and needs to be part of the debate.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 24, 2014, 11:45:24 pm »
Manitoba Public Insurance (our public auto insurer) said that they're expecting 1,000 collision claims today in Winnipeg due to icy road conditions. They couldn't handle the rush of claim calls.

Winter tires won't prevent all the accidents of course but I believe they will drop the number/severity of the collisions. For some reason municipal snow clearing departments seem to get a free pass. I think the current no-clear policy is a major contributor to winter wrecks and needs to be part of the debate.

The single biggest culture shock any of us Easterners had when we moved to Regina was just how terrible the roads are maintained in winter. Lady O had the 2008 Outback high centred a couple of times just driving around town the first winter we were here. And the ruts around our fairly nice neighbourhood typically get up to the suspension bits or floor pan of our Subarus, That's somewhere around 22cms. That simply never happened any place we lived before.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #157 on: November 25, 2014, 12:21:23 am »
Saskatchewan is legendary that way. I think it used to be just lack of money, but thought would have gotten better as the economy improved.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #158 on: November 25, 2014, 12:45:37 am »
It's funny because I wish they'd just leave the streets alone here. We hardly get any snow at all, yet they dump sand, salt and gravel all over the place like they can't get rid of the stuff fast enough. Then it warms up a few days later and the whole town is a disgusting, dirty mess.

In the spring, it's like living in the Dust Bowl with all the sand and gravel blowing around everywhere. And then the street sweepers come and you can hardly drive behind them because of the billowing clouds of dust. You can actually see the damned things coming for miles!

When I get elected mayor, I'm going to have the streets plowed only when it snows a foot or more, and completely ban the use of salt and gravel (we can spread a bit of sand at intersections only.) With the money saved, I'll send everybody in town a coupon for a decent set of winter tires. And if they don't like it, they can take the bus!

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:53:58 am by HeliDriver »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #159 on: November 25, 2014, 06:54:19 am »
What are studded tires?
They have been ban in southern Ontario since 1973