Author Topic: Monday Rant: Automatic Lights are a Fail  (Read 30283 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Monday Rant: Automatic Lights are a Fail
« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2014, 01:48:29 pm »
In Alberta we privatized the licensing process so now most driving schools are little more than "license factories" that just take money in exchange for a license.

What are you talking about.....the gravel truck drivers that were licensed in the last few years are nothing but spectacular......  ;D

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

OMG - I do everything in my power to not be near gravel trucks in traffic!  What about all those fatalities from them running red lights?  They're a menace!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Monday Rant: Automatic Lights are a Fail
« Reply #141 on: November 21, 2014, 01:49:55 pm »

Drove 20 km at 9 pm tonight. Saw 4 obliviousnnumpties sans lights. Honked and flashed at them all. None understood. Arg.

This.

At first blush, it seems unimaginable that other drivers would have difficulties understanding what a flash of the high beam might mean in a given context, yet we see it all the time.

It begs the questions:
- what is being taught in driver's ed (especially during the "on road" portions)
AND
- are these student drivers paying attention?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But the thing is, all you can do is flash your high beams at them. I assume they just think "A$$hole, I don't have my high beams on!" and continue on their merry, oblivious way.

Back before DRLs, I used to quickly turn off my headlights completely (leaving the amber/red parking lamps illuminated). That was pretty obvious, and people seemed to get the message. Now, it's impossible to do that.

you can turn the lights off, pull the handbrake *1* click and every light shuts off at the front for my VW.

then i turn the lights back on.    do it couple of times, and it worked for me last time.  toyota echo in front turned his lights on after. ;D

You're right, you can turn the lights off and pull the handbrake... fack, this is getting complicated!  :rofl2:  But then you've got no lights at all, which is less than ideal (I know it's only briefly.)

But I'm wondering if that would also work on our truck? Don't think so, and I'm not going to play with the foot-operated parking brake to find out!