Author Topic: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Audi A3 2.0TFSI  (Read 15249 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Audi A3 2.0TFSI
« on: October 31, 2014, 06:31:02 am »

Road trip, comparison test, everyday life ' Jonathan wraps up three months in the A3.
Read More...

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Re: Long-Term Test Wrap-up: 2015 Audi A3 2.0TFSI
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 09:11:11 am »
Nice write up, I like these long-term tests since they represent more of what an owner would experience daily, and plus, there are details one notices after a few months of ownership versus a 30min test ride.

I wonder how this compares against a BMW 320i, since the pricing is not that far apart and the 3er offers just a bit more room without being too unwieldy/big in an urban environment.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:13:04 am »
Guess there's a reason VW is basically tied with GM for # 2 worldwide car company, and closing in on Toyota. You can't go wrong with an A3.

Offline vols1

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-18
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:57 am »
Nice car and a very thorough write up. Never could figure out why car companies option power seats without memory even if it's a single driver car. Come to think of it, go crazy and give the passenger a memory seat as well. I think it's standard on the Merc CLA.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 09:46:17 am »
I remain on the fence with the A3.  While its price of entry is attractive, and the whack of engine options are as well, I'm not a huge fan of the cost once optioned and the limitations in driven wheels: Quattro (which made Audi famous!!) is only available with the 2.0T.  What if you want a reasonably efficient AWD car?  No TDI + Quattro.  No E-Tron Quattro (unless I'm mistaken).  This was my complaint of the previous A3 hatch - you could get it with a diesel, but not an AWD diesel.

I WANT MY LUXURIOUS 6MT DIESEL WAGON ALREADY, AUDI!

...but the biggest killer for me is the interior.  Call it simple, elegant, whatever...I think it's too plain.  I hate the round vents (my own preference) and the passenger side is completely devoid of...anything.  There's so much to like, but there's a few too many things that get to me for me even to get it in base trim for $31k.  Not that I prefer the CLA by any means, but as the target audience, I can't see myself enjoying this car.

I say all the above with complete constructive criticism in mind.  I don't doubt it's a great car, but if it could be TDI + AWD in a compact luxury sedan...?  I'd take it at $35k base ($40k with the usual options).  I agree, however, that omitting ventilated and memory seats is rather unacceptable in that price bracket.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 10:21:19 am »
Recently seen one of these ahead of me at the Costco Gas station. Nice looking little car. To little for me but I'm sure it will find a target audience. Like the rear LED lights.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 10:32:27 am »
I remain on the fence with the A3.  While its price of entry is attractive, and the whack of engine options are as well, I'm not a huge fan of the cost once optioned and the limitations in driven wheels: Quattro (which made Audi famous!!) is only available with the 2.0T.  What if you want a reasonably efficient AWD car?  No TDI + Quattro.  No E-Tron Quattro (unless I'm mistaken).  This was my complaint of the previous A3 hatch - you could get it with a diesel, but not an AWD diesel.

...but the biggest killer for me is the interior.  Call it simple, elegant, whatever...I think it's too plain.  I hate the round vents (my own preference) and the passenger side is completely devoid of...anything.  There's so much to like, but there's a few too many things that get to me for me even to get it in base trim for $31k.  Not that I prefer the CLA by any means, but as the target audience, I can't see myself enjoying this car.

I say all the above with complete constructive criticism in mind.  I don't doubt it's a great car, but if it could be TDI + AWD in a compact luxury sedan...?  I'd take it at $35k base ($40k with the usual options).  I agree, however, that omitting ventilated and memory seats is rather unacceptable in that price bracket.

Totally agree with you.
I also understand that NA market is only getting used to compact luxury but if you do it, PLEASE do it right. Otherwise, we have a luxury brand offering a compact at a hefty premium with an interior devoid of luxury feel. Sorry, the A3 interior is so bland that I wouldn't be enjoying looking at it.
Another example, but kinda opposite, would be the CT200h - great interior but the Prius powertrain kills it for me. A premium car must be quicker and more refined than a much cheaper gas miser.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:47 am »

Totally agree with you.
I also understand that NA market is only getting used to compact luxury but if you do it, PLEASE do it right. Otherwise, we have a luxury brand offering a compact at a hefty premium with an interior devoid of luxury feel. Sorry, the A3 interior is so bland that I wouldn't be enjoying looking at it.
Another example, but kinda opposite, would be the CT200h - great interior but the Prius powertrain kills it for me. A premium car must be quicker and more refined than a much cheaper gas miser.

I was so looking forward to this car, I was even in talking to an Audi salesperson a year before it arrived. And I think the exterior is one of the best around. However to me its a letdown.

First, value for money is a big fail. A ridiculous amount this adds up to. Second as others have said, the interior might be quality built, but its devoid of style. And the real deal killer for me is the screen which pops up out of the dash and looks for all the world like a tablet crazy glued on, ruining the lines of the interior. Maybe this feature which has recently come into vogue, presumably designed to attract the "tablet generation"?, will be a fad and will go away soon. I sure hope so ::)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »
I hate the round vents (my own preference) and the passenger side is completely devoid of...anything. 

But, but, you get a quattro badge....

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2015/index.php?level=picture&id=2367

I thought the same at first, but it stopped bothering me after a while, maybe because I spent most of my time looking at the road, not the dash panel.  ;) Perhaps oddly, I was in the minority liking the design insert in the CLA when we compared the two - everyone else preferred the clean look of the Audi interior - bunch of stiffs if you ask me.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 03:30:32 pm »
One of the things that attracts me to Audi is the clean simplistic styling. The one black mark in the interior is that hideous pop up screen.

Offline toolatecrew

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +16/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Ford Focus Titanium 5 speed with Handling Pack, 2007 Nissan Senta 6 speed
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:03 pm »
I just cannot get over the 50 K price tag.

I prefer to drive a standard and if I had that kind if $ o way could I see any reason to not simply drop an extra couple K and have a usable back seat plus a far quicker car and buy an S4. It would be one thing t pay 50 K for an S3 but 50 K for the same powertrain as a GTI?

I get small luxury cars. I have a Focus Titanium that is essentially a 30 K economy car. But this A3 just makes no sense to me. I guess I'm not the target market.

Give me a GTI or even a loaded Golf 1.8 loaded with features.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2014, 08:42:00 pm »
One of the things that attracts me to Audi is the clean simplistic styling. The one black mark in the interior is that hideous pop up screen.
At least it retracts, unlike the ones offered other cars like the 3er, Merc, and my Mazda 3  >:(

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »
I just cannot get over the 50 K price tag.

I prefer to drive a standard and if I had that kind if $ o way could I see any reason to not simply drop an extra couple K and have a usable back seat plus a far quicker car and buy an S4. It would be one thing t pay 50 K for an S3 but 50 K for the same powertrain as a GTI?

I get small luxury cars. I have a Focus Titanium that is essentially a 30 K economy car. But this A3 just makes no sense to me. I guess I'm not the target market.

Give me a GTI or even a loaded Golf 1.8 loaded with features.

you can always go for the base 2.0T Progressiv for $ 35,900.00

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2014, 11:58:16 am »
i was excited by the prospect of this car until i saw the final result and the price structure.  it took forever to bring the concept to market.  it ended up looking like a baby a4 (which hasn't changed it's design in ages).  ok they are nice looking cars but you couldn't have moved forward a little more with your design language audi? 

then news of no manual, no quattro sportback.   ugh.  scratch another car off my list.

New A4 will debut in a few months. The current model came out as an '09 and was refreshed a couple years ago. It's a pretty standard product cycle.

But I agree the A3 should have been here 1-2 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:22:43 pm by OliverD »

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 03:35:00 pm »
You must have mild OCD like me  ;D (when it comes to cars anyway)  Drives me nuts when the seat is moved... ha

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2014, 04:41:19 pm »
Each to their own and all that, but I love the A3 interior. In fact, I love the car enough that I was about to buy one last week, not with all the geegaws on this tested model, just a Tecknik AWD - boy racer S Line trim I can live without.

But, apparently remote start is not available. They showed me a memo from Toronto HO in reply to another customer query, wherein it was stated it would cost $2000! Further digging at the BMW dealer, who also don't offer remote start and a bit of googling, show that the German government disapproves, because remote start wastes gas. Thank you Frau Merkel and company.

I live in Nova Scotis, where freezing rain is common, followed by dipping temps. Sure, remote unlock opens the doors, but the door will often not open because it's frozen shut. Remote start allows the car to warm up while I'm shovelling or scraping and thaws out the frozen door shut lines.

Heck, I can get factory remote start on an Impreza for $435 plus $99 installation. But any Audi owner without a garage or a chauffeur is reduced to cursing instead.

The attitude I faced stopped me in my tracks. Lectures about green-ness from car salesmen I do not need.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2014, 04:45:17 pm »
I hate the round vents (my own preference) and the passenger side is completely devoid of...anything. 

But, but, you get a quattro badge....

http://www.autos.ca/galleries/2015/index.php?level=picture&id=2367

I thought the same at first, but it stopped bothering me after a while, maybe because I spent most of my time looking at the road, not the dash panel.  ;) Perhaps oddly, I was in the minority liking the design insert in the CLA when we compared the two - everyone else preferred the clean look of the Audi interior - bunch of stiffs if you ask me.
OOOOOH, quattro badge!

...I'm not thinking so much for myself as the driver, but as SWMBO's advocate.  She felt that being a passenger in the A3 (while sitting at the Auto Show) was a 'punishment' given that there was just nothing for her to look at.  She felt the car to be a little 'too' driver-centric, which is good for the driver or for anyone who isn't buying a car for their passenger.

Unfortunately, young professionals who can afford the A3 will likely also have the occasional hottie in the passenger seat.  I think a massaging feature should be standard for the front passenger seat ;)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:10 pm »
you can always go for the base 2.0T Progressiv for $ 35,900.00
you mean the base 2.0T Komfort...Progressiv is $39,050.00.

The cheapest Quattro is the 2.0T Komfort.  Without any other options, it lacks HIDs or LED daytime runners, or LED tail lights.  It has single (not dual) zone climate control.  It lacks paddle shifters.  The passenger seat is not power-operated.  The mirror is not auto dimming and lacks a compass.  It does not have push-button start or a rear-parking system (neither sensors, nor a backup camera), and lacks adaptive cruise control.

While I wouldn't care about many of the above, the $3,150 for the Progressiv trim is worthwhile...but if your 1 mandatory option is a backup camera, you have to go for the $43,200 Technik trim.

For $35k, the WRX is loaded.  For $35k, the A3 is a base model.  Choose what you will, but the A3 isn't truly a competitor on pricing for the WRX.  You could argue the same about getting a base WRX at $29k.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2014, 06:11:04 pm »

Unfortunately, young professionals who can afford the A3 will likely also have the occasional hottie in the passenger seat.  I think a massaging feature should be standard for the front passenger seat ;)
We also need Active Cruise Control so we can take our eyes off the road to look at said hottie  ;)

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2014, 08:10:27 am »
A continuing German tradition of sophistication and a lot of electronics...The only old fashion here is the Thunderstruck...