Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat  (Read 19072 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:30:27 am »

Can the Hellcat justify its $25,000 premium over the Charger R/T?
Read More...

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2015 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:18:33 am »
I think I will wait for the 'Canada Value Package' next August when Chrysler clears out remaining 2015 models
at $19,999 or whatever.

Seriously, if you are going to make a super sports sedan why not include the same manual option Dodge offers with the Challenger Hellcat and Chevy offers with their SS.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 08:45:27 am »
Sir, a lovely read.  I definitely am happy that I read it before others came into the office this morning since I've been ridiculed in the past for laughing randomly in the middle of the day; it becomes clear that I am not working, but instead reading something funny on the interwebs.

Publicity stunt? Maybe. This is, after all, the car that Dodge’s own CEO claimed no one had asked for, and the only reason to produce a super sedan without a clear demand from customers is to shine a spotlight on a brand that is currently making itself over as the performance-oriented arm of the Fiat-Chrysler empire.
Honestly, I think it was a brilliant move.  It's a hearkening of sorts back to the true days of "American Muscle Cars."  Supercharged?  Check.  Retro interior?  Check.  Hella fast in a straight line?  Check.  Name includes a reference to 'hell'?  Check.  Beast of a car that goes hella fast?  Double check.

The hellcat line IS a publicity stunt, but what better way to do so than to sell a product and show your capabilities?  What's more important, however, is that Chryfi is trying to separate its brands:

Offroad?  Jeep.
Luxury?  Chrysler.
Style?  Fiat.
Sporty?  HELLCAT!  err, I mean, Dodge.

This is why you won't see the Chrysler 200 Hellcat - it doesn't fit the image.  Wait, if they come out with a Chrysler 200 Hellcat, I may actually bleed out from laughing too hard.  That'd be almost as funny as the Dodge Calibre SRT-4.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fun fact: you get about 13 minutes of full-throttle fun on a single tank of gas with the Hellcat.
That IS a fun fact, Ted, err, Mr. Hunting, but here's another one:  The Veyron will run out in 12 minutes.  Comparison test?   I think so.  Can I join?

and, Benjamin, you take the absolute win for best line in an article, ever:
Competitors: Lol. No.
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +267/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:20 am »

This is why you won't see the Chrysler 200 Hellcat - it doesn't fit the image.  Wait, if they come out with a Chrysler 200 Hellcat, I may actually bleed out from laughing too hard.  That'd be almost as funny as the Dodge Calibre SRT-4.   :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I know you're laughing more at the though of it, but in all seriousness, how do you propose they wedge a supercharged 6.4L V8 between the two front drive wheels of a 200?

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 09:07:58 am »

I know you're laughing more at the though of it, but in all seriousness, how do you propose they wedge a supercharged 6.4L V8 between the two front drive wheels of a 200?

well, if the company really wanted to be silly, it could be done.

just move the engine and trans to the back seat...  ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:07 am »
I think Dodge can ride the novelty factor of the Charger SRT Hellcat and ask  $25,000 premium over the Charger R/T. If Ford can justify a hefty premium for a Shelby over a GT Mustang why can't Dodge do the same for their behemoth.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 09:53:11 am »
I think 707hp for $65k is actually a bit of a steal.  Come on, it's the cheapest horsepower you can buy.  Not the cheapest car that goes THAT fast, but cheapest horsepower ;D

but still, I continue to laugh at this:

and...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 10:01:37 am »
I think 707hp for $65k is actually a bit of a steal.  Come on, it's the cheapest horsepower you can buy.  Not the cheapest car that goes THAT fast, but cheapest horsepower ;D

Actually, I don't think there's a faster car for the money.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2014, 10:21:58 am »
I guess I'm becoming lamer as I get older, but this car just strikes me as too arrogant, and I couldn't drive it because I'd feel like I'm giving the finger to everyone around me.  I'm totally a car guy at heart, but this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalalala to what's going on in the world.  It's just way over the edge of excess... which of course is what Dodge and those who would buy this car want.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2014, 10:34:56 am »

Mustang Boss 302.  Not necessarily faster, but same 0-60 time.  $20k cheaper.

Lancer EVO.

Ariel Atom is the same money, but faster.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2014, 10:36:15 am »
I guess I'm becoming lamer as I get older, but this car just strikes me as too arrogant, and I couldn't drive it because I'd feel like I'm giving the finger to everyone around me.  I'm totally a car guy at heart, but this is just sticking your fingers in your ears and going lalalalala to what's going on in the world.  It's just way over the edge of excess... which of course is what Dodge and those who would buy this car want.

Dodge would say that you've provided proof of concept. The Hellcat is not about making friends or political correctness.

In fact I could write a TV spot for the Hellcat using half of your post as the script.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 10:42:00 am »

Lancer EVO.

that's not a real car though...  it's some scaffolding and an engine.     the other two you mention would not have the kick the hellcat does once it's rolling.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:46 am »

Lancer EVO.

If you're going by 0-60 times, I think it's tough to say since no one has actually tested the Hellcat.

I think when it comes to top speed though, it's pretty much uncontested.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 10:54:56 am »

Lancer EVO.

If it was a tight, twisty track, then yes the Evo and Boss would have a fighting chance....something with a bit of a straightaway, the Hellcat is gone....in a hail of glorious T-rex bellow/WW2 airplane at WOT noise  ;D I love this car, its so politically incorrect. It goes against the whole latte drinking, man purse wearing, skinny jean modern metrosexuals find acceptable that it is legendary.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2014, 10:58:40 am »
I think it would be a blast to drive, but I definitely would not buy one.  Reminds me of a car caricature.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:59 am »
If you're going by 0-60 times, I think it's tough to say since no one has actually tested the Hellcat.
That being said, I must applaud the engineers behind the Charger SRT Hellcat’s launch control system, which was able to rocket me to 96 km/h in 4.0 seconds – about 1.1 seconds slower than what the car is claimed to be capable of accomplishing should one swap its 20-inch Pirellis for drag radials.
Someone is pretty bad about hiding that he skims articles :P

Yes, if you swap tires it's hella faster.  ...and once rolling, it's hella fast.

I am a fan of this car, don't take it out of context...but I don't think it's necessarily the 'fastest for the money' so much as it's a steal of a deal as far as buying horsepower is concerned.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:12 am »
That being said, I must applaud the engineers behind the Charger SRT Hellcat’s launch control system, which was able to rocket me to 96 km/h in 4.0 seconds – about 1.1 seconds slower than what the car is claimed to be capable of accomplishing should one swap its 20-inch Pirellis for drag radials.

Yes, if you swap tires it's hella faster.  ...and once rolling, it's hella fast.

I am a fan of this car, don't take it out of context...but I don't think it's necessarily the 'fastest for the money' so much as it's a steal of a deal as far as buying horsepower is concerned.

Thats true for any pony/muscle car. You put on a set of Mickey Thompson E.T. Streets and they will get to 60 or down the 1/4 way faster.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:13 am »

No, I saw it. Since autos.ca doesn't typically perform instrumented tests and there's no context for that number, it doesn't mean much and can't be compared to test numbers from other publications.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 11:23:45 am »
this car could be a real rocket if it came coupled with a good AWD system to help put all that power down...as it stands, I say NO.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:50 am »
this car could be a real rocket if it came coupled with a good AWD system to help put all that power down...as it stands, I say NO.

More weight (bad) , more complexity (more bad), more cost (badder) and less smoky burnout (baddester)......in a word...hell to the no.