Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Toyota Matrix, 2009 to 2014  (Read 8195 times)

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Toyota Matrix, 2009 to 2014
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2014, 12:50:39 am »
anybody read or heard if the 2014 Matrix will be the last year for Canada?  There is currently no listing for a 2015 model on the Toyota Canada website.
Very likely. The Scion iM will probably replace it anyways.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2014, 08:56:48 am »

That said... the word is that the Scion iM (terribly named) is a North American version of the Toyota Auris (or Corolla Auris) hatchback from Europe. Maybe they will redeem themselves slightly. I still would have preferred that it was a Toyota and not a Scion.

that would also mean it would have restricted dealer availability which in turn reduces the sales before its even got started  ???  and still no hatchback for Toyota in the Corolla range.

Here's the UK Auris, sure looks like a Matrix to me  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 09:09:41 am by conwelpic »

Offline Ice

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +15/-25
  • 2009 Corolla XRS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2014, 03:22:42 pm »

That said... the word is that the Scion iM (terribly named) is a North American version of the Toyota Auris (or Corolla Auris) hatchback from Europe. Maybe they will redeem themselves slightly. I still would have preferred that it was a Toyota and not a Scion.

that would also mean it would have restricted dealer availability which in turn reduces the sales before its even got started  ???  and still no hatchback for Toyota in the Corolla range.

Here's the UK Auris, sure looks like a Matrix to me  ;D
This is where Toyota and some other auto makers do dumb things. They have had a very capable Auris for two generations now that is comparable to the Matrix if very slightly different packaging - instead of making the car available in multiple markets and cutting down the R&D... they design it for one market and then design an entire other car for the other market. Ford used to do this but no longer.

IMHO, from what I've seen the Auris is a fair bit better than the Matrix. But if they only sell it at some dealerships... yeah the numbers will be low. The whole Scion exercise is also stupid. Instead of making compelling Toyota branded cars they went with the "chic" youth Scion thing which is also an exercise in stupidity. People around my age don't buy cars till they have to and by the time they have to its for practical reasons for hauling stuff and newborns around. Till then its all used cars. There isn't a youth automotive market anymore.

Scion should die and the Scion iM should be sold as the Toyota Matrix or Auris or Corolla Auris or whatever.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 04:01:27 pm »
...but... the scion iM.... so many marketing opportunities!

i'm stylish... i'm smart... i'm quick... i'm capable... iM.... scion.

bam... where do i get my cheque?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now