Author Topic: Good Track Car?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
Good Track Car?
« on: October 25, 2014, 08:23:30 pm »
My brother is having misgivings about using his Cayman at the track.  This might be a good car for him but I'm contemplating this car for my own use but I'm not a pony car aficionado.  Miles are a bit high but I know the owner enough to know that it's been properly maintained.

It's not a V8, but I don't feel the need to have the ultimate HiPo machine at the track.  Bragging rights are quite low on my list of priorities.  What I do want is a planted corner carver, and this one can be had cheap.  Here are the specifics:

2011 Ford Mustang Coupe v6 (3.7) 6mt, 307 BHP.

Pony package, which is 18" alloys, fog lights, 3.31 LSD rear end, stripes (deleted). Interior upgrade pkg, which is: back lit gauges you can make custom colors, lighted door sills, SHAKER stereo (lol), SiriusXM, heated power cloth seats, leather wrapped wheel and gear knob. 
  Has cruise, tilt, a/c... everything is working properly.  Two sets of OEM mats, carpet and rubber...

Koni STR'T struts/shocks
Steeda sport springs
Steeda front camber plates
Steeda end links and front sway bar mounts (billet)
Steeda rear upper and lower control arms
Edelbrock panhard bar
Sam Strano front and rear sway bars
Hawk pads, OE rotors
Goodridge braided brake lines
Ford Racing front strut brace
Ford Racing brake cooling ducts (backing plates, hoses, etc.)
TSW Nurburgring 18x9 flat black wheels w/michelin pilot supersport 265/45ZR18s . tires new in the spring. have maybe 2000 kms on the street and 40-50 minutes on track. Tons of rubber left.
ARP wheel studs

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +235/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Good Track Car?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 08:24:44 pm »
Is this the same car wing posted about earlier?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 08:25:47 pm »
Is this the same car wing posted about earlier?
Link?

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 08:44:29 pm »
Looks like a great deal.  I believe Careener tracks a similar year V6 Mustang (he's moved to Ottawa).  You should send him a PM.
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:50:32 pm »
Looks like a great deal.  I believe Careener tracks a similar year V6 Mustang (he's moved to Ottawa).  You should send him a PM.

Good tip.  Sent him a PM.  Thanks!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 02:18:21 am »
I vote sls black gt... ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 08:15:17 am »
I say do it.
 Parts are dirt cheap.
There is a huge aftermarket
The weight balance is better than the V8.
At the asking price it's a steal.

Considerations:
-Make sure the tranny shifts well at high rpm. Lockout and grinding are common

The key weakness in this car. Under any kind of lateral load especially, not just in corners. The main reason I dumped my GT. I'm surprised the list of mods didn't include an aftermarket shift linkage.

Here is Ford's method of "maximizing shareholder value" ie; - returning maximum dividends to its shareholders;

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/files/guide-16235-cust-02.jpg

This is THE solution;

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

This is a cheap and simple way to reduce the problem somewhat;

http://www.hecticparts.com/billet-shifter-mount-for-2011-mustang-with-6-spd-trans/

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 08:20:22 am »
Should be a fine automobile.  IMO you won't find anything as solid for the track as that can for the price.

Any track car will have short comings and require upgrades and repairs etc.

I'm sure this car is capable of 2:30s as it sits.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 04:49:02 pm »
Should be a fine automobile.  IMO you won't find anything as solid for the track as that can for the price.

Any track car will have short comings and require upgrades and repairs etc.

I'm sure this car is capable of 2:30s as it sits.

The seller of this baby blue Mustang, if I have the right car in mind, isn't giving the vehicle away because it's perfect.  The stock tranny is probably horrible when pressed hard and he is sick of it.

Make sure the tranny shifts well at high rpm. Lockout and grinding are common

How invigorating  :o

It's a long cold winter.  Try a low ball with the intent on fixing the problem and not with those band aid shift kits.  Think Tremec  T56 Magnum conversion.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:51:51 pm »
He bought an Audi A4 and a boxster race car with a V8 swap!

Not selling because it's broke

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 04:55:09 pm »

OK better, he doesn't need the money.  Vehicle is just a nuisance.  Does he need the space or does he have a 1200 square foot heated garage too?  :)

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »
He needs the space.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 08:23:46 pm »

That is a gorgeous car and it will be a fantastic deal for someone, just not for me.   I tried all afternoon after the seller left to justify the purchase but just couldn’t.   It also looked great with my wife posing beside it.  I can’t remember being so conflicted about a car as I was today.  Such a hard decision!  It came down to one issue.  I would have to either store it all winter or buy a grand worth of winter tires and drive it and I’d still have 3 cars in my driveway.  Both scenarios would cost me about the same.  Why couldn’t he have put his car up for sale in the Spring when I am the most vulnerable?

The seller is a great guy. He's also a really good photographer as many track enthusiasts at Calabogie will attest.  He's looked after his car and it was his first ever new car so you know there's some emotional attachment.  I felt bad (I know, I know... I shouldn't) for saying no.  :(

Offline qtcar

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Mustang V6; 2012 Mustang GT
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 09:45:45 pm »
That car has been supercharged earlier and has (or had if he replaced) whining transmission :

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4209617-post10.html

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »
That car has been supercharged earlier and has (or had if he replaced) whining transmission :

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4209617-post10.html

Hilarious reading.  Car has had the absolute living crap driven out of it plus major issues.  $6000. car all day long and that's with the Blower and Tune re-installed.

:rofl2: 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 11:41:12 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 06:59:01 am »
I didn't read anything hilarious.  I registered on that Ford Mustang site so I could read the article and I learned only one thing:  He made one complaint about a whiny transmission on his way home from a track session.  Judging by the post's date, the car was still under warrantee at the time, so I suspect he had it looked after eventually.  Again, I know the guy and I don't doubt that if there were issues, he would tell me so park your jaded cynicism for a minute.  The car had a supercharger and the seller was very upfront about this.  Does this make the car worth only $6000?  Be serious.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 02:32:32 pm »
He made one complaint about a whiny transmission on his way home from a track session.  Judging by the post's date, the car was still under warrantee at the time, so I suspect he had it looked after eventually

Don't be so naïve Angry One.  :)   Firstly, Ford won't touch that tranny over whining.    Secondly, they would scan the PCM and find history of the SuperCharger tune and that would be it.   They told him to pound sand over his corroded hood.  Ford sucks on warranty.  Took him 2 years arguing with Ford to fix his ticking engine which in itself is a not a plus.

Again, I know the guy and I don't doubt that if there were issues, he would tell me so park your jaded cynicism for a minute.  The car had a supercharger and the seller was very upfront about this.

Funny you never mentioned that he had a Blower in your earlier post and funny he doesn't mention that in his current Trader Ad.  If it wasn't for qtcar's sharp eye it would have never come up.  The seller dragged raced it, by his own admission on the Mustang forum drives the crap out of it.  The motor will be BAFFED.  Never washes the car in the winter because he thinks it's better to leave the salt on it.  Needs a new hood because of extreme corrosion underneath it.  ::) 

This car without reservation needs a new transmission, clutch and driveshaft.  That will be $6K.  As for the motor;  he had some sort of lubrication issue for two years while he was tracking it which one might assume caused rapid wear. Then he has had a Blower on it for 2 years and really ran the crap out of it.  The seller is a speed demon, not some mild mannered dude who has taken his car to the track a few times.  The guy is hard core.

It's a risky buy so .... $6000.  HST will be at least $2K, Tranny 6K, and then the wildcard about what's life is left in the engine.  Uniformed ppl will buy on appearance.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:34:05 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 02:45:40 pm »
LOL at assumptions.  I know the personally.  I knew he had a supercharger on it and it was posted originally for sale with it even on our local forums.  AC knew it had one (or so I think he did).

He was upfront with all the issues from day one.  Glad your sleuthing found the issues as well, which means he isn't hiding it.  Trader ad doesn't say everything... they never do.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 03:13:43 pm »
The saying is much the same for track cars as it is for boats. It cost more to own one than to buy one (unless of course you buy a really expensive one and then don't use it much). The 'Stang might be a good deal on that basis.

And also, the best time to buy a track car is in the fall because there are seldom any comparative deals in the spring. People selling track cars in the fall are either desperate for money or have thrown their hands in the air and given up. Just get used to the costs including storage a year earlier than if you bought in the spring.