Author Topic: My buddy and his drone!!  (Read 29743 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: My buddy and his drone!!
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
OMG...last night's episode of South Park was all about drones.... :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-626
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2014, 05:30:19 pm »

You ain't seen nothing yet. Get your kicks now as these things will be outlawed soon. Soon as someone puts a bomb on one then the shat will really hit the fan.
Railton

That's BS.  Nothing was stopping people from doing this the same thing with R/C airplanes or even model rockets.

I'm guessing this has more to do with Joe Public being able to do surveillance and Big Brother doesn't like it.

BTW...the loads my buddy's Phantom can carry is minimal.  Anything heavier than a GoPro and it struggles.
There is certainty in your remark that Big Brother does not want for Joe public to have this sort of capability to be able to invade other peoples privacy and thus, will regulate it. In California they have already passed laws against the private paparazzi guys from using drones.
There was little commercial business utilizing R/C Airplanes if any, just a few hobbyists flying their planes around farmers hay fields. Even fewer rocket hobbyists out there. These easy and stable to fly (hover really) drones that are being used (sales, real estate, etc.) in densely populated areas (subdivisions let's say) , they will become a bigger threat to other AC than pencil lasers being pointed at pilots eyes from kids in apartment buildings...for example.
And, just like your first computer (or in your case, your first motorcycle) didn't have much power - with time, that all changes. Technology never sleeps.
Railton

Bingo... a handful of hobby nerds with well-crafted model aircraft that were both difficult to fly and costly to repair / replace posed nowhere near the threat that these drones do, especially in populated urban areas.  Too many stupid people + easily accessible toys = problems. 

Our Phantom hauls a much larger camera... or maybe a normal-sized cat I suppose.  Hmmm...     ;D
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:32 am »
   There are designated fields/areas for model airplane flying. Model airplanes are a building and operating 'total hobby' for the main part. With as much enjoyment in the construction side of the hobby as in the flight part. There is no comparison here. Radio controlled model sailboats and the racing thereof is a much more interesting and gratifying hobby also.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:49 pm »
Mexico city airport by drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PMWeVvjXytE

It will be interesting to see how these get used world wide, the developing world can be a little more free with their permissions.

Ran into the lady who hosted Rick Mercer in this report:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i70ZUMz-2M

And yeah, he used a drone to to get the overhead shots.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2014, 04:00:50 pm »
Transport Canada just approved simplified regulations for commerical drone use:

November 5, 2014, 2014 – Montréal, Quebec – Transport Canada
Transport Canada today announced, at the Unmanned Systems Canada conference in Montréal, two exemptions that simplify small unmanned air vehicle (UAV) operations and safely integrate UAVs into Canadian airspace.
Under the new exemptions, a Special Flight Operations Certificate will not be required for UAVs under 2 kilograms and certain operations involving UAVs under 25 kilograms. The new approach will apply to commercial operations and contribute to a strong safety regime for those on the ground and in the skies.

Just in time, as I've got approval today to order in a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2014, 05:05:58 pm »

Transport Canada today announced, at the Unmanned Systems Canada conference in Montréal, two exemptions that simplify small unmanned air vehicle (UAV) operations and safely integrate UAVs into Canadian airspace.
Under the new exemptions, a Special Flight Operations Certificate will not be required for UAVs under 2 kilograms and certain operations involving UAVs under 25 kilograms. The new approach will apply to commercial operations and contribute to a strong safety regime for those on the ground and in the skies.

Just in time, as I've got approval today to order in a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus:

That is cool!!!!! ;D

(*gets the rifle out of the gunsafe and looks for ammo*** :o :o ;) ;) ;D)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2014, 05:12:47 pm »

Is it for work ?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2014, 05:47:43 pm »
Yup. These have a lot of uses in agriculture now, it will be good to get up on this stuff.

Any tips from those who use them? I'm thinking a spare battery, prop guards, carry case. The mapping guys would like an infrared camera but I don't think that is possible at this level.

This one can follow GPS waypoints, does live feed back to an iPhone, and can pivot the camera independently.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:03:50 pm by PJungnitsch »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2014, 06:27:29 pm »
Yup. These have a lot of uses in agriculture now, it will be good to get up on this stuff.

Any tips from those who use them? I'm thinking a spare battery, prop guards, carry case. The mapping guys would like an infrared camera but I don't think that is possible at this level.

This one can follow GPS waypoints, does live feed back to an iPhone, and can pivot the camera independently.
Get the camera my son is working on for the SeaKings , it can shot film at 1080p at about 5km out
But it could be out of your price range  ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
Re: Re: My buddy and his drone!!
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2014, 05:53:33 am »

Prop guards are a must. Get the carbon fiber props too. Extra battery is nice.

Not sure I'd spring for the carrying case.

Be 100 percent sure when doing the GPS initialization you do it correctly on flat ground. Otherwise disaster.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:06 am »
Agricultural applications you say? 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 07:47:11 pm »

A boy and his DJI-Phantom-2-VISION-PLUS-2 drone.
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2014/11/best_drone_gifts_dji_phantom_parrot_ar_rolling_spider_reviewed.html
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2014, 02:28:30 pm »
Heh. Good to know! I'll send that around to the other operators in case it comes in when I'm gone on holidays and someone does the same thing.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2014, 10:06:54 am »

Northernridge

« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2014, 06:47:37 pm »
Drones aren't all that impressive...they're easily defeated by a kangaroo for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWUlObSgn0

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +381/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:25 pm »
Drones aren't all that impressive...they're easily defeated by a kangaroo for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFWUlObSgn0

Next up: A Dingo Ate My Drone!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2015, 07:27:19 am »
I think local councils had better develop policy on these things pretty quickly. Also lateral exhausting furnace flues through basement walls.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2015, 11:16:50 pm »
Shameless plug, but relevant to the subject matter of the thread...

Drones are fine in limited applications, but you've gotta throw some proper plane and helicopter footage into the mix too (this is all our footage from various projects around the world). 

http://www.echobaymedia.com/ebm-aerials/