Author Topic: First Student commercial  (Read 2214 times)

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
First Student commercial
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:35:20 am »
Do you know that commercial for First Student school bus drivers?
"Before I became a driver I was a concierge, a school teacher, a stay-at-home mom...Anyone can become a school bus driver!"

So take just about anyone, with no special talent or background, give them minimal training, and then entrust them with our children in a 10 ton vehicle?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: First Student commercial
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:25 am »
Yup.  Though, statistically, school buses are damned safe.  The buses themselves look like POS, but are actually brutes thanks to the high frame and car-crushing weight.  I'd prefer if they all had seatbelts (many here don't) but a trip in a big yellow bus isn't the crazy dangerous thing many folks think.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 10:40:56 am »
"Before I became a driver I was a concierge, a school teacher, a stay-at-home mom...Anyone can become a school bus driver!"

So take just about anyone, with no special talent or background, give them minimal training, and then entrust them with our children in a 10 ton vehicle?

Our neighbor is a part time/stay at home mom and a bus driver, she does alright in handling that beast. I can't remember the last time I heard about kids dying on one of those, so really, statistically they are safe.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 10:54:10 am »

nobody's born with talent or background for driving a bus.   same goes for driving Semi trucks or armoured trucks or even regular cars..

everybody does it with minimal training, so what's so special about this one?   as long as someone's physically able and mentally appreciative of the responsibility of driving kids, why not?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:34:03 am »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:40 pm »
Yup.  Though, statistically, school buses are damned safe.  The buses themselves look like POS, but are actually brutes thanks to the high frame and car-crushing weight.  I'd prefer if they all had seatbelts (many here don't) but a trip in a big yellow bus isn't the crazy dangerous thing many folks think.
I have 42 clients (from a single rollover) that would quite like to argue otherwise...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 01:56:46 pm »
odds are pretty low. just seems horrible because of the scenario. considering how many kids are on buses every day, there is a very small incidence of injury that a trained driver could prevent.

as mentioned... i'd say put seat belts, better padding and such on before demanding the drivers are something special. cheaper to modify the building procedure than get drivers who would demand higher pay.

does seem crazy... but that's the way it is... it's like day care and other child care... crap pay = not great workers... for our most cherished possessions?... seriously?
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:58:16 pm »
It was explained to me that the rationale for not having seat belts is in the event the bus needs to be evacuated, it's much much faster when the kids are not buckled in

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
It was explained to me that the rationale for not having seat belts is in the event the bus needs to be evacuated, it's much much faster when the kids are not buckled in

And seat belts are only useful if they're worn properly - snug and low on the hips. I'm not sure a bunch of sleeping/slouching/spinning around kids all tangled up in loose-fitting seat belts would be any safer.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:46:25 pm »
not to mention the backpacks they all carry.. in any case I don't think it'd be a net benefit.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 03:12:57 pm »
We don't place much value on people that work with our children.  Child care workers are among the lowest paid people in the nation.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 03:15:05 pm »
I have 42 clients (from a single rollover) that would quite like to argue otherwise...

But it's a rare occurrence...

...especially given the number of kids per day that are bused somewhere.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 03:55:01 pm »

The problem with quoting statistics is that you stop considering the minority.  How'd that work out for the world so far?

Only 13 people died as a result of GM's faulty ignition switch...yet there was a kind of a big deal made out of that...and Toyota's "unintended" acceleration?  1 person apparently died, and an even bigger deal was made of that.  Statistics are inherently flawed.

If a bus were driving normally and was T-boned by a Mack truck, yeah, that's a "rare" occurrence that you cannot adequately plan for.  My 42 clients were on a ski trip on a school bus, none of which are ever equipped with snow tires, and are known to be awful in the snow.  That doesn't really matter though, since the accident was caused by the driver trying to take an off-ramp at a speed that was inappropriate for the conditions.

Summary: we should have higher standards for school bus drivers.  Not necessarily saying that "only the elite can apply," but give better training to them.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 04:06:16 pm »

The problem with quoting statistics is that you stop considering the minority.  How'd that work out for the world so far?

Only 13 people died as a result of GM's faulty ignition switch...yet there was a kind of a big deal made out of that...and Toyota's "unintended" acceleration?  1 person apparently died, and an even bigger deal was made of that.  Statistics are inherently flawed.

If a bus were driving normally and was T-boned by a Mack truck, yeah, that's a "rare" occurrence that you cannot adequately plan for.  My 42 clients were on a ski trip on a school bus, none of which are ever equipped with snow tires, and are known to be awful in the snow.  That doesn't really matter though, since the accident was caused by the driver trying to take an off-ramp at a speed that was inappropriate for the conditions.

Summary: we should have higher standards for school bus drivers.  Not necessarily saying that "only the elite can apply," but give better training to them.

Then you'll have to pay them more, as they become more specialized.
I'm not averse to that line of thinking either - if we reduce accidents by any meaningful rate the money will probably be saved over the long run (though fewer claims for you ;) )

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 05:40:48 pm »
Then you'll have to pay them more, as they become more specialized.
I'm not averse to that line of thinking either - if we reduce accidents by any meaningful rate the money will probably be saved over the long run (though fewer claims for you ;) )
I didn't say make them more specialized.  I said give them more on-the-job training.  Pay them for more training hours, but it's not making them any more specialized - I'm not putting them behind the wheel of a military truck after this.

I'd be fine with fewer MVA claims.
...on to slip/trip n' falls ;D

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 09:52:26 pm »

No, statistics are subjugated by politics.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 12:00:40 am »
They've done crash testing with school buses equipped with seatbelts. Even when worn properly, which could never be guaranteed in practice, the end result was higher rates of neck and back injuries. Buses with padded seatbacks and no belts were better, but only in crashes where the bus didn't roll.

The conclusion was that school buses would need to be completely re-engineered and built at a much higher cost, which made them unaffordable to most school districts, so the plan for safer buses was shelved. Given the statistically low accident and death rates, it was a rational decision at the time.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:48 am »

No, statistics are subjugated by politics.

Exactly. Life without risk is a fantasy sold by politicians.