Author Topic: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Prius c  (Read 12072 times)

Offline X-Traction

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-96
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2014 Toyota Prius c
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2014, 11:06:22 pm »
I know quite a few hybrid owners and they still record better than ICE-only fuel economy in the winter.

They do but to they cost more and are significantly more complicated.  Completely computer controlled.  Artificial brake pressure.  Not for -40C use.   They are better suited to the BC lower mainland and southern Ontario.
-40C is seriously fackin COLD!    I doubt a new gen Toyota Camry/Prius Hybrid would start at -40C without a block heater thinking the power split device would be frozen.

Ok, you repeat the speculation.  Balanced against your speculation is this report:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/06/best-selling-cars-around-the-globe-trans-siberian-series-part-15-the-japanese-imports-of-ulaanbaatar/

"If the very high ratio of used right-hand drive Japanese imports in the streets of Ulaanbaatar was a logical continuation of what I had progressively observed as I traveled further East in Russia, the big difference is the extremely high occurrence of hybrid models, namely the first two generations Toyota Prius. It turns out that imported used hybrid cars are exempt from import taxes, but the very harsh weather Ulaanbaatar experiences during winter still makes it a puzzling choice.

Somehow hybrid cars and temperatures going down as low as -40 to -45°C seems to be an odd combination. But speaking with a few drivers in the capital city, they all told me one of the main advantages of owning a hybrid car and particularly a Toyota Prius is that they always start without a fault each morning in winter, no matter how crazy the temperature is. That is definitely not the case for non-hybrid cars..."

Which am I more likely to believe?

If hybrids have trouble starting in Canada's colder regions, there is a puzzling lack of reports of this.

Edit: I just noticed your caution that the power split device could freeze. That would be the electronic planetary gearset.  Why would it freeze when an ordinary automatic transmission would not?  As for the computer stuff, take that computer stuff out of any car these days and see how well it works.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:13:21 pm by X-Traction »
And some cretins think I hate cars.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2014, 03:54:03 am »
: I just noticed your caution that the power split device could freeze. That would be the electronic planetary gearset.  Why would it freeze when an ordinary automatic transmission would not?  As for the computer stuff, take that computer stuff out of any car these days and see how well it works.

At -40C most transmissions don't work to well.  The wear must be extreme.  The Toyota Hybrids are significantly more computerized than ICE cars and any major failures out of warranty and it's game over.  I very much like the Toyota Hybrids and OWN one while in warranty, but a not a top choice for use at -40C.  Not a business case for the extra cost.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2014, 07:22:18 am »
"At the end of our week with the Prius c, we were seeing 5.6 L/100 km"

At you drive you up hills all day long ?

The only time I have mileage in our 5 year old Prius was last winter , wife would let it run to warm up and a trip to Halifax , the car was loaded with 4 people and luggage to match driving at 130 km/ hr

Most times we are in the 4.5-4.8 range

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »
"At the end of our week with the Prius c, we were seeing 5.6 L/100 km"

At you drive you up hills all day long ?

The only time I have mileage in our 5 year old Prius was last winter , wife would let it run to warm up and a trip to Halifax , the car was loaded with 4 people and luggage to match driving at 130 km/ hr

Most times we are in the 4.5-4.8 range

For the last 3 years Fuelly has the C @ 50 mpg US or 4.7 l/100

The C is designed for stop and go city driving or stop and go freeway driving. :rofl2:    Test it as such.

Like other hybrids, the Prius c has an automatic stop/start system that shuts off the gas engine while waiting at stop lights and restarts it when the brake pedal is released

This statement is incorrect.  The engine starts when X amount of load is demanded from the ICE.