Author Topic: Scion Teases "Distinctively Sporty" iM Concept Before LA Debut  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Scion Teases "Distinctively Sporty" iM Concept Before LA Debut
« on: October 23, 2014, 05:09:58 am »

Toyota's youth brand looks to reignite passion of those under 35

Read More...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
Re: Scion Teases \
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 08:23:34 am »
Hello, Matrix v2.0.

Hmm...Matrix FA20?  Nah.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 08:44:22 am »
Wow....Johnny come lately...and I mean lately. Toyota has to realize that there old Toyota product cycle will not work with the younger crowd.
The younger consumer who feel that there 6 month old phone is now old technology. This crowd requires a 2.0 even if minor refresh and updates within a dramatically shorter time span than Toyota traditional consumers.

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:08 am »
...And haven't they learned that the generation they're targeting, doesn't like to have products marketed towards them?  A bunch of 40+ year olds will end up being the buyers.  Someone at Toyota still doesn't want to admit that Scion is a lame duck.

Online Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
Hello, Matrix v2.0.

3.0 Dude, 3.0. We had two gens already!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 12:11:29 pm »
...And haven't they learned that the generation they're targeting, doesn't like to have products marketed towards them?  A bunch of 40+ year olds will end up being the buyers.  Someone at Toyota still doesn't want to admit that Scion is a lame duck.

Just because that's who they market at, doesn't mean that's who they target....
You know why the 40 year-olds buy them? Because they think they're for youthful people. Because of the marketing.
Cynical, but clever.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 12:55:51 pm »
Hello, Matrix v2.0.

3.0 Dude, 3.0. We had two gens already!
v2.0 doesn't necessarily denote that it is the 2nd generation - it means the second version.  i.e. this is the next version of the Matrix as Toyota will not bring us the Auris under the Toyota nameplate.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 01:52:41 pm »

You know why the 40 year-olds buy them? Because they think they're for youthful people. Because of the marketing.
Cynical, but clever.

Maybe "youthful marketing" is part of the reason why older people buy them.  But I would argue that a far bigger reason why 40+ year-olds are the primary purchasers (like in almost every automotive segment) is that they have far more discretionary money to buy new vehicles.

I'm sure Toyota, like every other MNFR, doesn't give a rat's behind WHO buys their vehicle - all money is equally valid.  And older people (generally) have more money to buy such vehicles.  But if it takes youthful advertising to get old people to buy it, so be it. 

I would argue that Scion isn't a failure because it was marketed to kids, but boomers bought the vehicles.  It's a failure (primarily) because the vehicles don't sell well, and likely are low margin / low profit.  There also might be an argument that Scion has failed if  it is only grabbing sales that would have gone to Toyota anyway (i.e. xB instead of Matrix, xA instead of Yaris). 

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +13/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:06:51 am »
If the new model is going to be an Auris then it might as will be the super-sensible
Auris Touring Sports which has a humongous carrying capacity for a compact car.

It would also mean one more wagon in our wagon-deprived market.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 10:03:19 am »

Cynical, but clever.

I'm certain I'm too cynical, because I don't believe they're that smart.  I think they still believe they'll attract the millennials, but they'll be shunned by them.   One factor is not wanting to be marketed to, the other being mentioned above.  They don't have money, and aspire to products that show they have money.  Catch 22.  Just IMHO anyway.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 06:54:57 am »
C&D reports this new car will be the Auris Touring Sports with enough cargo capacity to haul about
a thousand shoe boxes crammed with sensible shoes!

A 1.8 Valvematic* engine and 6 speed manual will be about as much "Sport" as we can realistically hope
for in our market.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 08:29:31 am »
C&D reports this new car will be the Auris Touring Sports with enough cargo capacity to haul about
a thousand shoe boxes crammed with sensible shoes!

A 1.8 Valvematic* engine and 6 speed manual will be about as much "Sport" as we can realistically hope
for in our market.

No way!  :D Then just a diesel and a symmetrical AWD would be missing. Toyota must have read this forum  :foil: :P
Link please?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 04:24:09 pm »
EV Dan,

You were right, there is "no way"

C&D updated their story today  and the Auris Touring Sports has vanished into thin air to
be replaced by an ordinary Auris hatch. This Auris sounds eerily familiar to a Matrix so we are
back where we were.

Sorry for my part in enthusiastically spreading misinformation .

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:38:48 pm »
This story has been bouncing around for a while:

http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php/topic,84703.msg911573.html#msg911573

http://ca.autoblog.com/2013/08/24/toyota-corolla-wagon-dealer-leak/#continued

There was at least one rumour going around that Canada will get the Auris hatch as a replacement for the Matrix. Maybe we'll get the Auris wagon? Maybe this is just the silly season and people are grasping at any rumour no matter how dubious?
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 09:16:53 pm »
Sir Osis of Liverpool,

Yes, the vain hope has been bouncing around for a while but C&D really ought to have been more
diligent with their reporting so close to the new Scion's debut at the LA Auto Show.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2014, 10:28:29 pm »
EV Dan,

You were right, there is "no way"

C&D updated their story today  and the Auris Touring Sports has vanished into thin air to
be replaced by an ordinary Auris hatch. This Auris sounds eerily familiar to a Matrix so we are
back where we were.

Sorry for my part in enthusiastically spreading misinformation .

That's too bad... I always wonder what their thinking process is. Does it go like "there is no affordable wagon on the market so there's gotta be a good reason for that. Instead of taking an advantage of this market niche why don't we copy an Elantra GT and quite possibly ppl will buy it. Because Scion is sort of Toyota"  ::)

From the OP post:
Toyota's youth brand looks to reignite passion of those under 35
  Make it "Ovr50" and call a day  :P

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 11:35:23 am »
I'd be suspicious of anything claimed to be Distinctively Sporty. Especially if it's targeted to young people.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 01:29:44 pm »
I'd be suspicious of anything claimed to be Distinctively Sporty. Especially if it's targeted to young people.

Kind of like buying a house described as "cute" or "charming" or "fixer-upper"!  ;D

Offline northsparrow

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2014, 09:40:58 pm »

Scion has the purest affordable sports car on the market called the FR-S.

It has a distinctively sporty, affordable two door hatch called the TC.

It has three distinctly unsporty but varyingly utilitarian hatches on their way out called the XB, XD and IQ.

It seems the gap they need to fill is on the cheap, fuel efficient and utilitarian side of the equation. I think this rules out  a high performance IM .

We will find out soon enough.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6811
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2014, 09:51:42 pm »
^^