Author Topic: Looking for maximum longevity in winter tires. - Opinions wanted!  (Read 9529 times)

Offline bethjason

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Nissan Rogue
I'm getting my first set of winter tires ever.  These will be going on a 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD. I'm gonna -1 so the size is 215/65/R16.

I'm considering these 3 models:
1. bfgoodrich winter slalom ksi
2. bridgestone blizzak ws80
3. goodyear nordic winter

The most important factor for me is longevity.  I want to get at least 3 winters out of these.  Almost all my driving is city driving.  Would love to get some opinions! Thanks in advance.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Looking for maximum longevity in winter tires. - Opinions wanted!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 11:21:00 am »
If all you need is 3 winters, then almost any winter tire on the market can do that for you.

Even blizzaks nowdays can go 4 winters or more depending on how much drving u do.

Good year nordics are reported to be surprisingly good winter tires for the money and not known for quick wear .

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 12:35:14 pm »
The Blizzaks will last three seasons - and are a premium tire.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 01:19:36 pm »
Yeah, you're only going to get Blizzak loving here (don't any of you prove me wrong!!).

I just recommended that my brother get WS80s.  You should too.  I have WS70s and love them to death.  Way more than the Michelin X-Ice2s or Yokohama iG51vs that I run on my other cars.

My other brother has a Rogue (until his lease comes due next week).  He had WS70s on as well and loved them, too.  He had them on for 4 winters and they still have plenty of tread left.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1253/-7197
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 02:13:25 pm »
Funny, we preferred the X-Ice over the WS. Plus they seemed to last much longer.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 02:38:51 pm »
Funny, we preferred the X-Ice over the WS. Plus they seemed to last much longer.
To be fair, where you're from, snow is an occasional, whereas slick roads are more likely.  Buddies of mine from the GTA sold their winter tires when they got to Windsor, stating that there's no point because there's not much snow down in W-town.

They ate their words on some days during the freakishly snowy years, but generally the X-Ice would do better in warmer, well-plowed areas.

I find that the X-Ice worked to lower tread depths (3/32" instead of 5 or 6/32" on the Blizzaks), but I found that the X-Ice got to the lower tread a little quicker.  Nothing scientific to back up that comment though.

The crappy snow/slush performance of the Xi2s is so concerning to me that I'm actually thinking of tossing ours for the Corolla with 6/32" left. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Looking for maximum longevity in winter tires. - Opinions wanted!
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »
To be fair, where you're from, snow is an occasional, whereas slick roads are more likely.  Buddies of mine from the GTA sold their winter tires when they got to Windsor, stating that there's no point because there's not much snow down in W-town.

They ate their words on some days during the freakishly snowy years, but generally the X-Ice would do better in warmer, well-plowed areas.

I find that the X-Ice worked to lower tread depths (3/32" instead of 5 or 6/32" on the Blizzaks), but I found that the X-Ice got to the lower tread a little quicker.  Nothing scientific to back up that comment though.

The crappy snow/slush performance of the Xi2s is so concerning to me that I'm actually thinking of tossing ours for the Corolla with 6/32" left.

I live 100m from the lake. Lake effect is brutal. Despite being more southerly, there are still days we can't get to work....even with winter tires. With the drifting here, there were 2 days where snow was higher than the roof of the car on the main road.

Lake effect + county (not many snow plows) = lots of snow.

On average, Windsor gets more snow than GTA

http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Canada/Ontario/snowfall-annual-average.php

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 02:59:51 pm »
I retract all previously-made comments about snow depth in Windsor.

...I still am not a fan of the X-Ice 2s.  The 3s may be better, but I'd be timid to jump the gun and give 'em a chance.  The Blizzaks MAY be 1 less season than the X-Ice, but I don't think that the Blizzaks are any worse than other brands (except for the X-Ice).  I'd rather trade better winter traction for 1 season longer of usage.

The OP wanted 3 seasons.  Unless he drives >20,000km/winter (not year, winter!), any winter tire should last 3 seasons.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 03:06:56 pm »

...I still am not a fan of the X-Ice 2s.  The 3s may be better, but I'd be timid to jump the gun and give 'em a chance.  The Blizzaks MAY be 1 less season than the X-Ice, but I don't think that the Blizzaks are any worse than other brands (except for the X-Ice).  I'd rather trade better winter traction for 1 season longer of usage.

The OP wanted 3 seasons.  Unless he drives >20,000km/winter (not year, winter!), any winter tire should last 3 seasons.

Areas near London have some truly brutal winter days too!

The only snow tire we truly didn't like was the LM series from Michelin.

In the past we've also used i-Pikes, Coopers, etc..

We've been using snow tires pretty much since they came out.

IQ drives her RWD car all winter with the X-ice and never an issue. Even on days deep enough to drag the under carriage

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 03:11:56 pm »
IQ drives her RWD car all winter with the X-ice and never an issue. Even on days deep enough to drag the under carriage
Define "issue" though...I've never been stuck with the Corolla with the Xi2s despite snow above the bumper...

...but there's a lot more wheel spin than I'd like, and the car will be pushed around by slush or deeper snow.

The Xi2s REALLY shine on cold, wet, or cold, dry pavement, where you have no idea that you have winter tires on.  Winter performance is definitely prioritized over snow traction.

Speaking of "her RWD car...", what happened to your list of current vehicles?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +175/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

Even 60,000 kms out of a winter tire seems a little ambitious to me. I expect around 40,000, and am happy enough if I get that.

Just for fun (some of these are from 15 years ago), here are the winter tires I've had on my cars and the mileages I've gotten out of them. All tires were replaced at around 5-7/32".

Toyo Observe - 50,000 kms
Bridgestone LM-22 - 43,000 kms
Yokohama IG10 - 28,000
Continental EWC - 40,000 kms

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-388
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »
I had worn Xi2s on my Sienna last winter and they performed quite well. Snow traction was just ok but still better than my Toyo Observe G-02+ which were terrible, and ice traction was fantastic. We don't get much snow here anyway. From my experience with the Xi2, I would go for the Xi3s. They're well suited for Vancouver "winters".

Offline Schmengie

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +27/-26
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 04:23:56 pm »
I got 5 winters out of my last set of Nordics. The old ones still have plenty of tread left but it's definitely time to replace them which I'll be doing next week. I've been quite impressed with the Nordics generally, a very good value for money IMO.
' Saw an Alfalfa Romeeo go by - furrin sports car forty feet long, mebbe nine inches high.' - Charlie Farquharson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Looking for maximum longevity in winter tires. - Opinions wanted!
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 04:34:10 pm »
X-ice could be the best tire in the world but Michelin treated me SO poorly when we had tire issues on the Mercedes that I'll never buy them again. They're typically way more expensive than other brands and if you have a warranty issue: pound sand.  Bridgestone is a premium brand that offers much better value and on the one occasion I had a tire issue the treated me like they'd actually want me to buy more tires from them.

I've used Blizzaks in some horrific conditions in the mountains and they're dependable and work on all the cars we've had them on, FWD or AWD.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 04:35:54 pm »
My mom has nordics on her Rondo... as summers now since they're really old and slippery on the ice now.

The Corolla, and her Rondo (based on experience with Corolla) have WS70s for winters... and they're fantastic.

There was no question in my mind when I bought the WS80s for the Focus... unless you drive a lot in the winter, any benefit will be after the tire becomes relatively old and not-ideal for winter.   

Michelins are also quite a bit more, as jongenx points out... and his warranty experience is scary.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »
I'm not the only one around here that's been treated like crap by Michelin regarding warranty issues.  If I were going to buy them, I'd only buy from costco on the premise they'd help out we're something to happen. But when I see the price premium over every tire other than Nokians I can't see any reason to buy them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 05:18:56 pm »

Speaking of "her RWD car...", what happened to your list of current vehicles?

Oh yea..it's not showing.  WTF?  Also, my "How fast is my Supra" sig isn't showing...double WTF?

Currently we have:

GS400
IS300
Forester

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 05:19:50 pm »
I dunno, I've had two sets of X-Ice and two sets of two different makes.

X-Ice to me is still the best winter tire if you're looking for pure safety.

I feel the same.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 05:20:39 pm »
It seems the IS is the only car that's not turned over on a regular basis

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 05:34:58 pm »
It seems the IS is the only car that's not turned over on a regular basis

The IS is solely her decision...it's HER car.  She drives it.  She loves it.

Not sure she'll ever sell it....though she is hinting she'll give it up for an IS-F or an RS4.

Main reason she won't part with it?  "Nothing else I really like has a stick"  (RS4 V8 excepted).