Author Topic: First car, looking for advice on how to choose and specific model recommendation  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
i'll get stoned here for saying it.. but i don't really think the subaru is the best option for you. for others, maybe.. but from what little i know of you, the awd is not a real advantage... the lack of styling is a negative... the added complications of the drivetrain are a negative... and the cost will be higher. as much as we all push subaru quite often, in this case, i don't think it is the right option.

i agree with noto about the insurance... while "within 30" could end up being only a few bucks... if it's at the extreme there. 30 bucks a month goes a long way in a car payment.
You won't get stoned by me, at least...I just think that based on his original post, he stated his priorities as:
Usage case :

The car will mainly be used to commute to work, gym, groceries etc... . I expect something like 12000 km/year. I decided  on a compact sedan , maybe normal or hatchback. As i am a fairy new driver safety features and reliability are important to me. After that i would like a low cost of ownership as well.
I'm not sure owning a Subaru is a higher cost than the others out there.  Fuel maybe, but if he's looking at 2012s, then not really.  They're all worse than the 2014s.  Impreza was redesigned in 2012 to get the 2.0L CVT, so it should actually be pretty close to the 2012 Corollas/Civics in terms of real world efficiency.

...but nowhere in his post have I read much about style, etc.  He preferred the driving dynamics of the Civic over the Corolla, which is fair.  He seemed luke-warm about the Mazda3 because of fear of unreliability (true or not).  His case to me sounds a lot like an Impreza would fit his needs.

If he wants something more stylish, then the Civic is a great call, but they're overpriced due to 'perceived' notions of reliability.  I often find that they're priced similarly to an Impreza.

Offline NewRider

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: None
Update :
So i tried yesterdat a 2011 and a 2014 mazda 3 , and a 2011 and a 2014 ford focus.

The 2011 focus was by far the worst drive of them all . Felt heavy, steering wasn't as fluid as with the other car, breaking also was quite lacking. I am not sure if  the feel of that car was mainly due to the fact it was an old car or if all 2011 focus feel the same .But in any case , i am crossing that line from my choices. (for some strange reason i ended up the drive test with my leg tired after driving this car)

The 2014 focus was way better, closer i think to the 2011 mazda. I liked the drive, was light and response (but not as responsive as the mazda 3). Design wise i think this is the best looking car, especially the hatchback model. One things is that this car doesnt accelerate as fast as the mazdas but for my driving needs it shouldnt be an issue.

the 2014 mazda 3 was by far the best drive. I think it was a 2.0L engine because i dont remember being blown away by the acceleration. But the handling and the breaking were really really precise.The car felt again light and responsive , more than the 2014 focus for sure. Not a big fan of the exterior design of the mazda 2014 , but the interior was quite nice.

Right now , i think the competition is between the civic and the mazda 3 , but i still need to try the Subaru as recommended here.
Again thanks guy for you commentary and advices