Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost Series II  (Read 6165 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost Series II
« on: October 21, 2014, 06:31:16 am »

Latest Ghost not quite so eerily quiet anymore.
Read More...

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
Re: First Drive: 2015 Rolls-Royce Ghost Series II
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 08:01:17 am »
Taking a photo higher on pedestal hides unsuccessfully the square ugliness of the front end. This archaic concept of car is dying slowly like an aristocrat!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2131
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '11 Fozzie XT
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 09:10:20 am »
It still amazes me how 'luxury' is defined. I think cars like this truly are an iteration of art and not so much engineering excellence of technological inclusiveness.

I would think that the majority of cost of the vehicle is for the true attention to detail. By having unmatched piggish fuel economy, a lack of driver aids when a $28000 Kia has them, and by not tweaking the exterior styling to make it more relevant (even at the expense of those that just waited years to take possession of their now-obsolete vehicle), Bentleys are becoming less exciting for the money. Art/comfort in transportation? Yes. Better than an S-class? No chance.

Go to Cannes during the film festival to see what the rich want to be seen in. I was there this year and the majority were Lexus LS, Merc S-class, and surprisingly Tesla Model S. There were some others, and even the Chryfi 300 was there (kinda weird), but i didn't see a single Bentley.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 09:13:38 am »
NoTo:  Bentley is not Rolls Royce.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 09:18:58 am »
isn't most Ghost chauffeur driven anyway?

i mean, the people who buy them aren't buying them to carve canyons..   so who cares about driver aides or fancy pants electronics...  they have ACTUAL people driving them as a job.

as for rich in Cannes...   f-them.    if i was rolls-owning, chauffeur-driven rich, i wouldn't want to be seen at all.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 09:28:50 am »
Well, :censor:, that's what happens when I try to post while at a CPD conference.

My bad. Replace everything above as it should be. Doesn't change my points made.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:51:09 am »
” That’s because, as whisper-quiet as this Ghost is, it’s not as quiet as any number of sub-$50,000 electric cars released in the past three years."

Interesting. After all the combustion engine with all it's new twists is essentially 100+ year old technology. Stock engine is only 20%-26% of the power in fuel combustion is effective with heat, noise and exhaust as byproducts.

All said I'd still like a day to cruise around in this land yacht. Maybe the Niagara or Prince Edward County wine regions. I guy needs a destination with proper rest refreshments and cuisine.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 11:36:43 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:38 am »
Meh.

Anyone's that had the chance to see these cars a little farther along their life span knows that they're actually junk.  Overpriced, over-hyped junk.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:38:56 am »
It still amazes me how 'luxury' is defined. I think cars like this truly are an iteration of art and not so much engineering excellence of technological inclusiveness.

I would think that the majority of cost of the vehicle is for the true attention to detail. By having unmatched piggish fuel economy, a lack of driver aids when a $28000 Kia has them, and by not tweaking the exterior styling to make it more relevant (even at the expense of those that just waited years to take possession of their now-obsolete vehicle), Bentleys are becoming less exciting for the money. Art/comfort in transportation? Yes. Better than an S-class? No chance.

Go to Cannes during the film festival to see what the rich want to be seen in. I was there this year and the majority were Lexus LS, Merc S-class, and surprisingly Tesla Model S. There were some others, and even the Chryfi 300 was there (kinda weird), but i didn't see a single Bentley.

I think this misses the point of these vehicles.  The quality of materials, the handmade nature of it....that's what matters in this kind of showpiece.   It's not about actually offering the most "features" (electronic or otherwise) and performance for a high price.   It's about a truly unique automobile that has much more special assembly story than your average S Class.

Of course if you're shopping with $200k (or even 300 or 400k?) budget and want the best daily driver luxury vehicle, an S Class makes a lot more sense.   But if you're looking to pick up the Dutchess from the airport and cruise down to the ball in style (and happen to have an obscene amount of money and likely cars) get a Rolls.   Who gives sh!t if the S Class will drive itself?   

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:30 am »
Well, :censor:, that's what happens when I try to post while at a CPD conference.

My bad. Replace everything above as it should be. Doesn't change my points made.

LSUC disallows CPD hours if you are not paying attention...to the CPD
But but but!!!

I'm paying more attention to the CPD than this forum!

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 11:39:54 am »
isn't most Ghost chauffeur driven anyway?

More true for the Phantom than the Ghost.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:40:35 am »
I don't know, never really saw this as a WOW type of car, nothing I would ever aspire to as being driven around sounds horrid, I make a bad passenger. For this titanic outlay of money put me squarely and deeply in the S65 AMG camp. Big luxo barge that will hike up its skirts and be a good dance partner on a fun road. This to me seems like something an expensive hotel would pick you up at the airport in but nothing that you would actually want to own.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:56 pm »
I still have this fantasy about a black Silver Shadow with Cragar S/S wheels, Radial T/A tires, flame job and big Chevy crate engine under the hood (should mate well to GM-sourced slushbox).
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1423/-2113
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda Ridgeline, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:20:24 pm »
I still have this fantasy about a black Silver Shadow with Cragar S/S wheels, Radial T/A tires, flame job and big Chevy crate engine under the hood (should mate well to GM-sourced slushbox).

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +169/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
Wow!!! what a great looking Prefect.

It's about being able to afford one...and one being there to be able to. The G cars will never apply.

edit: whoops they are not British any more...maybe.

Fact is I bet many reading here could afford one...but would not maybe be able to park the house next to it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 01:28:04 pm by Rupert »

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 03:38:42 pm »
LOL. Did you get your chauffeur to test drive this?    ;D
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 08:27:41 am »
Taking a photo higher on pedestal hides unsuccessfully the square ugliness of the front end. This archaic concept of car is dying slowly like an aristocrat!

Dying so slowly, the company has grown 4x in the last five years.
I'm sorry, you took me literally...If you compare with the main archrival Bentley, RR has fewer sales. The boost of latter's sales is a  result of the enormous transformation Bentley pass through. If RR doesn't transform radically as well it will continue to sale few thousands a year. Small grow is like a painful death - this is my point. Making myths and building sustainable business are two quite different things.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +254/-768
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 10:06:16 am »
I'm sorry, you took me literally...If you compare with the main archrival Bentley, RR has fewer sales. The boost of latter's sales is a  result of the enormous transformation Bentley pass through. If RR doesn't transform radically as well it will continue to sale few thousands a year. Small grow is like a painful death - this is my point. Making myths and building sustainable business are two quite different things.

Bentley also has a wider product range that starts at much lower prices.

Rolls Royce is going through a similar transformation to the one Bentley went through starting ten years ago.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 12:47:24 pm »

That just reinforces the exclusivity of the vehicle. Merc, Tesla, Chry at Cannes....how...common.

Comparing Bent sales vs RR doesn't say much. RR is on top of the food (production) chain. Naturally they expect to have lower sales. Instead of being affordable to 1% of 1% of 1% of 1%, they are affordable to 1% of 1% of 1% of 1% of 1%. Mathematically speaking there are less potential buyers. This is on purpose - they even intentionally limit their production. The fact that they talk about thier products as works of art speaks to their business model mentality. What other manufacturer regards their products as if they were a curator?